Re: Champion Hill; Hard-tack is cheered

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 19, 2007

      > I've always figured that Grant made sure he had ammo. That he could
      eat and
      > feed his army off the land.

      I think you've got that about right. But you've described a less than
      ideal situation!

      > Where we're getting this "shaky" situation has
      > blown by me. It was a risk, but I have yet to read where his guys
      were ever
      > hungry. Or unusually pressed for supplies.

      From what I can gather, to provide both ammunition and food with any
      situation lacking in some manner cannot prevail forever. An abundance
      of food was clearly going to run out if 'living off the land' was how
      it was to be provided. Perhaps ammunition could have been kept coming in.
      In his own words, Grant reveals some problems, emphasis mine. This may
      have been the only time in the war that the appearance of hard-tack
      was cheered!

      from:
      http://www.civilwarhome.com/vicksburgcampaign.htm

      "I therefore determined to move independently of Banks, *cut loose
      from my base*, destroy the rebel force in rear of Vicksburg, and
      invest or capture the city.

      Grand Gulf was accordingly given up as a base ... Even Sherman, ...
      wrote me from Hankinson's Ferry ; advising me of the impossibility of
      supplying our army over a single road... I replied : " I do not
      calculate upon the possibility of supplying the army with full rations
      from Grand Gulf. ... I do expect is to get up what rations of hard
      bread, coffee, and salt we can and make the country " ' furnish the
      balance...

      Every plantation, however, had a run of stone, propelled by mule
      power, to grind corn for the owners and their slaves. All these were
      kept running while we were stopping day and night... But the majority
      of the command was destined to go without bread until a *new base* was
      established on the *Yazoo*, above Vicksburg...

      [Upon securing the Yazoo base]... [m]ost of the army had now been for
      three weeks with only five days' rations issued by the commissary.
      They had an abundance of food, however, but began to feel the want of
      bread. ... A soldier, recognizing me, said in rather a low voice, but
      yet so that I heard him, `` Hard-tack." In a moment the cry was taken
      up all along the line, "Hard-tack! ! Hard-tack!" !" I told the men
      nearest to me that we had been engaged ever since the arrival of the
      troops in building a road over which to supply them with everything
      they needed. The cry was instantly changed to cheers...
    • Steve Hall
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2007
        You mention how Sherman and Grant worked together to prevent the movement of troops between theaters, and many have spoken of how great this plan was, but in reality it did not matter that much.  Think about it, the ONLY major battle of the entire war which was influenced by the movement of troops from one major army to another was Chickamauga!  Even then most of Longstreets men were late to the party!

        With only one viable route for the transportation of troops between the two armies, and it was almost worn out by this time, I don't see how any major movement of troops between the two armies was possible, so the "Cooperation" between Grant and Sherman really did not effect the outcome of the conflict.

        Steve Hall - Commander
        Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        Sons of Confederate Veterans
        Chatsworth, Georgia