West Point in the Making of America

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
      A fascinating presentation. I had seen panels as illustrations in books but
      did not realize that this was a sort of movable cyclorama!

      West Point in the Making of America
      "Artist William Travis was hired to memorialize the Civil War adventures of
      Gen. William S. Rosecrans. Travis painted a huge panorama on a roll of
      canvas over 500 feet long and presented his work to the public in lecture
      halls."

      http://americanhistory.si.edu/westpoint/discover_travis.html

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

      "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."

      ---Mark Twain, 1907
    • Daniel Cone
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2007

        >A fascinating presentation. I had seen panels as illustrations in books but
        >did not realize that this was a sort of movable cyclorama!

        >West Point in the Making of America
        >"Artist William Travis was hired to memorialize the Civil War adventures of
        >Gen. William S. Rosecrans. Travis painted a huge panorama on a roll of
        >canvas over 500 feet long and presented his work to the public in lecture
        >halls."

        >http://americanhist ory.si.edu/ westpoint/ discover_ travis.html

        The panels on Stone's River and Rosecrans' crossing of the Tenn. River for the Chickamauga Campaign tend to show up more frequently in books and magazines than the other panels.  Compared to the other cycloramas of the time period, Travis' style is definitely more "American Primitive".  Personally I don't care for it that much, but it certainly has its value in telling the story of the Army of the Cumberland through artistic means.

        Actually, all of the cycloramas were originally intended to be movable, traveling by rail from city to city on exhibition tours.  Eventually though the strain of such movements worked towards deteriorating the paintings, and they ended up in their more-or-less permanent locations (Atlanta, Gettysburg, etc.).

        Dan

        Missed the show?� Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN.