Re: Champion Hill; Bowen clues in Pemberton?

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2007

      > perhaps we will still hear from dave smith...
      >

      > Tony, in any case, may I ask what was your source describing Bowen's
      > interaction at this stage of things?

      May 11, 1863

      I have the honor to state that the intrenchments in front of Big
      Black Bridge will be finished tonight, and beg leave to suggest that,
      although we can readily preserve the bridge by a proper defense, yet
      the position can be turned if the enemy pass Edwards and cross at
      Bridgeport Ferry. My division is not sufficient to give battle at
      both places, and while we have 9 or 10 miles to pass from one point
      to the other, the enemy march 3 or 4, from Edwards Depot.

      If a force cannot be spared for that point, could not my command, if
      suported at Raymond, move forward, and hold a position between
      Edwards and Fourteen Mile Creek, fronting south, with our right near
      enough to Big Black to force them to cross at Baldwin's? Could we
      not thus preserve the entire railroad, as well as the bridge?