Famed Brigades

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
      Supposedly the "Civil War Book of Lists" [I don't have this book]
      ranks the best brigades of the war. Seems to me the Federals get a lot
      of eastern brigades listed but the CS brigades are heavily represented
      for the Western Theater. Well, well, indeed this certainly suggests
      there was nothing wrong with the fighting qualities for our theater
      and what was lacking was leadership. Anybody able to fill in the
      blanks below? In other words, be able to eliminate "presumably" etc as
      well as question marks?

      Borrowed from Randall Shaw at Consimworld forum:
      http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@...8n9.7@.ee6f5cc/636

      for the Union:

      First Vermont Brigade [east presumably]

      Iron Brigade [east IIRC]

      Irish Brigade [east IIRC]

      First New Jersey Brigade [east presumably]

      Excelsior Brigade [east presumably]

      Philadelphia Brigade [east presumably]

      Belknap's Iowa Brigade [west presumably]

      Custer's Michigan Cavalry Brigade [west presumably]

      Heckman's 'Star' Brigade [?]

      Steedman's Brigade [?]

      And for the Confederacy:

      Texas Brigade [west presumably]

      Stonewall Brigade [east]

      Orphan Brigade [west]

      Stuart's Virginia Cavalry Brigade [east presumably]

      Hay's Louisiana Tigers [?] [not necessarily west IIRC]

      Lawton's Georgia Brigade [west presumably]

      First Missouri Brigade [west presumably]

      Gregg's South Carolina Brigade [west IIRC]

      Rodes' Alabama Brigade [west presumably]

      Liddel's Arkansas Brigade [west presumably]
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
        In a message dated 7/8/2007 8:11:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
        for the Union:

        First Vermont Brigade [east presumably] It is eastern

        Iron Brigade [east IIRC]

        Irish Brigade [east IIRC]

        First New Jersey Brigade [east presumably] East

        Excelsior Brigade [east presumably] East

        Philadelphia Brigade [east presumably] East

        Belknap's Iowa Brigade [west presumably] West

        Custer's Michigan Cavalry Brigade [west presumably] East

        Heckman's 'Star' Brigade [?] ?

        Steedman's Brigade [?] West

        And for the Confederacy:

        Texas Brigade [west presumably]  Which one?  Im presuming they are refering to Hood's so East

        Stonewall Brigade [east]

        Orphan Brigade [west]

        Stuart's Virginia Cavalry Brigade [east presumably] East

        Hay's Louisiana Tigers [?] [not necessarily west IIRC] East

        Lawton's Georgia Brigade [west presumably] East

        First Missouri Brigade [west presumably] West

        Gregg's South Carolina Brigade [west IIRC] East

        Rodes' Alabama Brigade [west presumably] East

        Liddel's Arkansas Brigade [west presumably] West
        So a very HEAVY Eastern bias on that listing, where are Harker's Brigade, Granbury's Texas Brigade, Wilder's Lightning Brigade, etc?

        Lee

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
          Thanks, Lee, for those corrections.
          The brigades you mention, Wilder's Lightning Brigade I know is
          US/west, but the rest? US? CS? east? west?

        • SDE80@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
            In a message dated 7/8/2007 8:11:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
            And for the Confederacy:

            Texas Brigade [west presumably]

            Stonewall Brigade [east]

            Orphan Brigade [west]

            Stuart's Virginia Cavalry Brigade [east presumably]

            Hay's Louisiana Tigers [?] [not necessarily west IIRC]

            Lawton's Georgia Brigade [west presumably]

            First Missouri Brigade [west presumably]

            Gregg's South Carolina Brigade [west IIRC]

            Rodes' Alabama Brigade [west presumably]

            Liddel's Arkansas Brigade [west presumably]
            The Texas Brigade is doubtless Hood's Texas Brigade, which fought in the east.
            Hays Lousiana Tigers fought in the east, as did Lawton's, Gregg's, and Rodes' Brigades.
            The First Missouri Brigade was a west, as was Liddell's Brigade.  I'd add Strahl's Brigade.

            Sam Elliott

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • NPeters102@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
              In a message dated 7/8/2007 11:38:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, SDE80@... writes:
              The Texas Brigade is doubtless Hood's Texas Brigade, which fought in the east.
              Hays Lousiana Tigers fought in the east, as did Lawton's, Gregg's, and Rodes' Brigades.
              The First Missouri Brigade was a west, as was Liddell's Brigade.  I'd add Strahl's Brigade.

              Sam et al,

              How about Shelby's Iron Brigade?

              Respectfully,

              Mike Peters
              npeters102@...

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • DORR64OVI@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
                In a message dated 7/8/2007 10:15:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                Thanks, Lee, for those corrections.
                The brigades you mention, Wilder's Lightning Brigade I know is
                US/west, but the rest? US? CS? east? west?
                Harkers Brigade is Army of the Cumberland, Western Theater

                Kent Dorr

                See what's free at AOL.com.
              • Tony Gunter
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
                  > [snip]

                  The problem with brigades in the west is that they were re-organized
                  frequently, and thus their identity was slightly different in every
                  battle.
                • SDE80@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
                    In a message dated 7/8/2007 12:35:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:
                    How about Shelby's Iron Brigade?
                    I have to confess I have little knowledge of it, although I have been reading up on his march to Mexico lately.

                    Sam Elliott

                    See what's free at AOL.com.
                  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 8, 2007
                      In a message dated 7/8/2007 4:42:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
                      The problem with brigades in the west is that they were re-organized
                      frequently, and thus their identity was slightly different in every
                      battle.
                      In the Army of the Ohio, Buell had the brigades reorganized to break up those made up of only one state in order to reduce the undue influence of state governors.

                      Kent Dorr

                      See what's free at AOL.com.
                    • thardy9@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 9, 2007

                        Here is my input on these brigades:

                        First Vermont Brigade:  East - VI Corps

                        Iron Brigade:  East - I Corps, originally commanded by John Gibbon

                        Irish Brigade:  East - II Corps, originally commanded by Thomas Meagher

                        First New Jersey Brigade:  East, III Corps, originally commanded by Phil Kearny (?)

                        Excelsior Brigade:  East, III Corps, originally commanded by Dan Sickles

                        Philadelphia Brigade:  East, II Corps, held the Angle at Gettysburg under Alexander Webb

                        Belknap's Iowa Brigade:  West

                        Custer's Michigan Cavalry Brigade:  East, Cavalry Corps

                        Heckman's 'Star' Brigade [?] ?

                        Steedman's Brigade:  West, XIV Corps, originally commanded by George Thomas

                        > And for the Confederacy:

                        Texas Brigade:  East, DH Hill's Division, commanded by John Hood

                        Stonewall Brigade:  East, Jackson's Division, originally commanded by Stonewall Jackson

                        Orphan Brigade:  West, Army of Tennessee, originally commanded by John Breckinridge (?)

                        Stuart's Virginia Cavalry Brigade: East, later expanded into Division, then Cav Corps

                        Hay's Louisiana Tigers:  East, originally commanded by Richard Taylor

                        Lawton's Georgia Brigade:  East, Jackson's Corps, originally commanded by AR Lawton

                        First Missouri Brigade:  West, originally commanded by Sterling Price

                        Gregg's South Carolina Brigade:  East, Longstreet's Corps, originally commanded by Maxcy Gregg, held the Railroad Cut at Second Manassas

                        Rodes' Alabama Brigade:  East, Jackson's Corps, originally commanded by Robert Rodes

                        Liddel's Arkansas Brigade:  West, originally commanded by St John Liddell

                        Harker's Brigade:  West, XXI Corps, commanded by Charles Harker

                        Granbury's Texas Brigade:  West, commanded by Hiram Granbury

                        Wilder's Lightning Brigade:  West, XIV Corps, commanded by John Wilder, and converted into mounted infantry after Murfreesboro

                        Tom Hardy, Kansas City

                        Start providing for your family by becoming a paralegal. Click Now.
                      • Carl Williams
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007
                          Thanks.
                          Seems that Cleburne never commanded a famed brigade? A little
                          surprising, or is "brigade" just not a fit? IIRC a brigade is a
                          grouping of regiments.

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "thardy9@..." <thardy9@...> wrote:

                          > Here is my input on these brigades:
                        • William H Keene
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007

                            > Thanks.
                            > Seems that Cleburne never commanded a famed brigade?

                            Was the brigade he commanded ever considered 'famed'?
                          • Carl Williams
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007
                              > > Seems that Cleburne never commanded a famed brigade?
                              >
                              > Was the brigade he commanded ever considered 'famed'?

                              I guess we know Cleburne commanded something "famed" ... seems
                              brigades were commmanded but is it fair to say fame came later as
                              major general? at that point commanding something bigger?

                              from:
                              http://www.civilwarhome.com/clebunbi.htm

                              ... He joined the Confederacy, and his military assignments included:
                              captain, Company F, lst Arkansas State Troops (early 1861); colonel,
                              lst Arkansas State Troops (early 1861); colonel, 15th Arkansas
                              (designation change July 23, 1861); commanding 2nd Brigade, lst
                              (Hardee's) Division, Army of Central Kentucky, Department #2 (fall
                              1861 - March 29, 1862); commanding 2nd Brigade, Hardee's Division,
                              Army of the Mississippi July 2 - August 15, 1862); commanding 2nd
                              Brigade, Buckner's Division, Left Wing, Army of the Mississippi
                              (August 15-30, October - October 8, and October - November 20, 1862);
                              commanding 2nd Brigade, Buckner's Division, Hardee's-Breckinridge's
                              Corps, Army of Tennessee (November 20 - December 1862); major general,
                              CSA (December 20, 1862 to rank from the 13th); commanding the division
                              (December 1862 - November 30, 1863); commanding division, Hardee's
                              (Polk's old)- Cheatham's Corps, Army of Tennessee (November 30, 1863 -
                              January 1864, January-August 3 1, and September 2 - November 30,
                              1864); and commanding the corps (August 31 - September 2, 1864).
                            • Tom Mix
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007

                                That is interesting.

                                Especially when some historians and writers refer to his units as Confederated Shock Troops.  A term that I don’t think was in vogue in the 1860’s.

                                Seems that Cleburne never commanded a famed brigade? A little
                                surprising, or is "brigade" just not a fit? IIRC a brigade is a
                                grouping of regiments.

                                --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "thardy9@... " <thardy9@... > wrote:

                                > Here is my input on these brigades:

                              • Ray Todd Knight
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007

                                  > Thanks.
                                  > Seems that Cleburne never commanded a famed brigade? A little
                                  > surprising, or is "brigade" just not a fit? IIRC a brigade is a
                                  > grouping of regiments.

                                  Since my 4th g-grandfather fought in Cleburne's Brigade (24th TN
                                  Infantry) at Shiloh *I* consider it a famous brigade, but he was
                                  quickly promoted upwards so he didn't command a brigade for long.

                                  Ray
                                • Ray Todd Knight
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007
                                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "thardy9@..." <thardy9@...> wrote:

                                    > Orphan Brigade: West, Army of Tennessee, originally commanded by
                                    John Breckinridge (?)

                                    The Orphans were originally commanded by Simon Buckner, then John C
                                    Breckinridge, Robert Hanson, Ben Hardin Helm, then Joseph H Lewis.

                                    Ray
                                  • William H Keene
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007

                                      > That is interesting.
                                      >
                                      > Especially when some historians and writers refer to his units as
                                      > Confederated Shock Troops ...

                                      One of the brigades of Celburne's Division [for which he gained fame]
                                      was included in the list previously presented: Liddel's Arkansas
                                      Brigade
                                    • SDE80@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007
                                        In a message dated 7/10/2007 8:38:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rayknight@... writes:
                                        Since my 4th g-grandfather fought in Cleburne's Brigade (24th TN
                                        Infantry) at Shiloh *I* consider it a famous brigade, but he was
                                        quickly promoted upwards so he didn't command a brigade for long.
                                        The 24th spent most of the war in Stewart's/Strahl's Tennessee brigade, which I deem to be an elite brigade.

                                        Sam Elliott

                                        See what's free at AOL.com.
                                      • Tony Gunter
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 10, 2007
                                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

                                          > In a message dated 7/10/2007 8:38:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                          > rayknight@... writes:
                                          >
                                          > Since my 4th g-grandfather fought in Cleburne's Brigade (24th TN
                                          > Infantry) at Shiloh *I* consider it a famous brigade, but he was
                                          > quickly promoted upwards so he didn't command a brigade for long.
                                          >
                                          > The 24th spent most of the war in Stewart's/Strahl's Tennessee
                                          brigade, which
                                          > I deem to be an elite brigade.
                                          >
                                          > Sam Elliott

                                          My GGGG Grandfather spent the war in Chalmer's Brigade ... couldn't
                                          that be considered a(n) (in)famous brigade?

                                          :)
                                        • Ronald black
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 11, 2007
                                            Chalmers mostly commanded cavalry brigades in the confederate west.  Most of these brigades mentioned have been infantry brigades.  However, Brig. Gen. James R. Chalmers commanded an infantry brigade in Gen. Withers' division at the battle of Shiloh.  The performance of his brigade can be argued to have been if not, the best brigade during that two day battle.  He kept his brigade together and in advance on the confederate right.  At night fall, his brigade was still together and the most advanced brigade on the rebel right.  During the dark night hours, he kept the brigade under his control despite moving in the dark under the gunboat fire.  During this time, Jackson's brigade was doing the same movements as Chalmers and completely fell apart.  Gen Jackson bivouacked on the Shiloh Church plateau with only Girardey's battery present and did not appear on the front line on the second day.  Gen Chalmers camped in the Cloud field with his entire brigade present except Gage's battery which was sent to the rear and was a leading combat officer on the second day.  Next morning, Chalmers was surprised as was the entire rebel army, when Buell advanced but he was able to present his entire brigade to Buell.  After brief skirmishing, his brigade retired back down the River road because it was flanked and much to exposed to the union troops.  He continued the fighting on Monday, April 7th in an excellent manner.  Chalmers is my choice as "Best Confederate Brigade at Shiloh".  Chalmers would have advanced in rank and position if he stayed in the infantry, as least a corps commander.

                                            Ron

                                            > In a message dated 7/10/2007 8:38:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                            > rayknight@.. . writes:
                                            >
                                            > Since my 4th g-grandfather fought in Cleburne's Brigade (24th TN
                                            > Infantry) at Shiloh *I* consider it a famous brigade, but he was
                                            > quickly promoted upwards so he didn't command a brigade for long.
                                            >
                                            > The 24th spent most of the war in Stewart's/Strahl' s Tennessee
                                            brigade, which
                                            > I deem to be an elite brigade.
                                            >
                                            > Sam Elliott

                                            My GGGG Grandfather spent the war in Chalmer's Brigade ... couldn't
                                            that be considered a(n) (in)famous brigade?

                                            :)

                                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                          • SDE80@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 11, 2007
                                              In a message dated 7/11/2007 8:47:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rblack0981@... writes:

                                              Chalmers would have advanced in rank and position if he stayed in the infantry, as least a corps commander.

                                              Well, I wouldn't get that enthusiastic <g>.  He also commanded an infantry brigade at Murfreesboro.

                                              Sam Elliott

                                              **************************************
                                              See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
                                            • gnrljejohnston
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 11, 2007

                                                > My GGGG Grandfather spent the war in Chalmer's Brigade ... couldn't
                                                > that be considered a(n) (in)famous brigade?

                                                This brigade is not famous, but its history could be the history of
                                                the Army of the Tennessee. It is one of the unsung brigades of the
                                                war. Formed as the First Brigade, Fifth Division in March 1862 made
                                                up by the 6th Iowa, 46th Ohio, and the 40th Illinois, these three
                                                regiments fought together for the most part of the war, and marched
                                                down Pennsylvania Avenue in the Grand Review together. The brigade
                                                changed its designations many times, but these three regiments along
                                                with a few others that joined the brigade, stuck it out one might say
                                                from the birth of the AOTT to its demise in July 1865.

                                                These regiments served four years, and was actively engaged in the
                                                two days' battle at Shiloh, Tenn.; siege of Corinth, Miss.; siege of
                                                Vicksburg, Miss.; Jackson, Miss.; battle of Mission Ridge, Tenn.(lead
                                                attackers on Tunnel Hill); Resaca Ga.;New Hope Church, Ga.; Black
                                                Jack Knob, Ga.; Kenesaw Mountain, Ga.; Atlanta, Ga.; Ezra Chapel,
                                                Ga.; Jonesboro, Ga.; Griswoldville, Ga.; siege of Savannah, Ga.;
                                                battles on Cumbahe River, S.C., Columbus, S.C., and Bentonville,
                                                N.C.; Grand Review in Washington

                                                JEJ
                                              • Tony Gunter
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 11, 2007
                                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"
                                                  <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

                                                  > > My GGGG Grandfather spent the war in Chalmer's Brigade ... couldn't
                                                  > > that be considered a(n) (in)famous brigade?
                                                  >
                                                  > This brigade is not famous, but its history could be the history of
                                                  > the Army of the Tennessee.

                                                  Actually, I was thinking of Chalmer's *Division* at Ft. Pillow ...
                                                • Steve Hall
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 11, 2007
                                                    You mention the attack on Tunnel Hill, but don't say which Tunnel Hill.  If I understand your post, you are speaking of Tunnel Hill, Tenn., but there were six battles at Tunnel Hill, Georgia, which is not far away.

                                                        I am a little partial to Tunnel Hill, Georgia as I am one of the founders of the Tunnel Hill Historical Foundation where we have saved and preserved the old railroad tunnel, built a new heritage center and museum, are currently developing an 80 acre battlefield park which includes the Clisbe Austin House, aka Meadowlawn, which was Gen. Hood's hospital immediately after Chickamauga and Gen. Sherman's HQ as he launched what would later be known as his Atlanta Campaign, and have just acquired the original 1848 railroad Depot, one of Jefferson Davis' stops on his way to take office as President of the Confederacy.

                                                    Steve Hall - Commander
                                                    Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                                                    Sons of Confederate Veterans
                                                    Chatsworth, Georgia