Re: Champion Hill;

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 5, 2007
      > > McPherson, without any seige artillery, would have been facing a
      > > force of 7,000 men, supported by heavy artillery, behind
      > > fortifications. And the Confederate reinforcements would have
      > > steadily trickled in over the next few days, raising the force
      > > available for the defense of Jackson to around 12,000 - 13,000
      > > shortly.
      > >

      > was it a case of skillfully suckering Gregg or just getting lucky
      that
      > Gregg would assess the situation wrong? If it was skill, then there
      is
      > huge irony that McPherson often gets portrayed as a poor performer
      in
      > this campaign.

      McPherson went out of his way to mask his deployment, deploying his
      second and third brigades behind the hill 1/2 mile away from the
      pending battle.

      McPherson's tight cavalry screen prevented the scouts in the area
      from detecting any of his men except for his cavalry, while the
      scouts had fairly detailed reports of McClernand's activities and
      strength. Since the federal main force was reported to be on the Big
      Black River, Gregg assumed that the troops deploying in his front
      were the force seen in Utica on May 10th, reported by J.R. Russell,
      commander of scouts for Hinds County, to be a force of 1,500 cavalry
      (dismounted?).

      Ironically, J.R. Russell's report had been filed from Roach's
      plantation on May 10th, the staging point for McPherson's two
      divisions the morning of May 12th.
    • Steve Hall
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2007
        You mention how Sherman and Grant worked together to prevent the movement of troops between theaters, and many have spoken of how great this plan was, but in reality it did not matter that much.  Think about it, the ONLY major battle of the entire war which was influenced by the movement of troops from one major army to another was Chickamauga!  Even then most of Longstreets men were late to the party!

        With only one viable route for the transportation of troops between the two armies, and it was almost worn out by this time, I don't see how any major movement of troops between the two armies was possible, so the "Cooperation" between Grant and Sherman really did not effect the outcome of the conflict.

        Steve Hall - Commander
        Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        Sons of Confederate Veterans
        Chatsworth, Georgia