Re: Champion Hill;

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 2, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > You didn't answer his question.
      >
      > I said that I agreed with him and don't see Champion Hill or the
      > campaign as a slam dunk for Grant. If their had been better
      > coorporation between to two CSA armies or if Pemberton had been
      able to
      > get better coordination on the battlefield things could have
      changed.
      > Given the level of and different ideas of the CSA's generals, it
      wasn't
      > likely. However, Grant had to plan that they would do a better job
      > than they did.

      What specific action by [your choice of commander] could have
      resulted in success for the Confederates on May 16th if Pemberton had
      been rendered unfit for duty the night before?
    • Steve Hall
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2007
        You mention how Sherman and Grant worked together to prevent the movement of troops between theaters, and many have spoken of how great this plan was, but in reality it did not matter that much.  Think about it, the ONLY major battle of the entire war which was influenced by the movement of troops from one major army to another was Chickamauga!  Even then most of Longstreets men were late to the party!

        With only one viable route for the transportation of troops between the two armies, and it was almost worn out by this time, I don't see how any major movement of troops between the two armies was possible, so the "Cooperation" between Grant and Sherman really did not effect the outcome of the conflict.

        Steve Hall - Commander
        Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        Sons of Confederate Veterans
        Chatsworth, Georgia