Re: Champion Hill;

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Is it fair to imagine that Grant could have lost this battle if
      the CS
      > > side had been better lead? Say if a better commander could have
      taken
      > > over but too late to do something like pick a different place of
      > > battle [or no battle at all].
      > >

      > I think that is a good statement. It was possible for Grant to
      lose a
      > battle or series of battles and be trapped w/o supplies in MS.
      ISTM
      > that better coordination on the CSA side could have won or checked
      > Grant's advance at Champion Hill.

      You didn't answer his question. Let's say Pemberton's horse falls
      late on May 15th, rendering him unfit for duty, and Johnston arrives
      by ambulance and takes command.

      What specific action by Johnston could have resulted in success for
      the Confederates on May 16th?
    • Steve Hall
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2007
        You mention how Sherman and Grant worked together to prevent the movement of troops between theaters, and many have spoken of how great this plan was, but in reality it did not matter that much.  Think about it, the ONLY major battle of the entire war which was influenced by the movement of troops from one major army to another was Chickamauga!  Even then most of Longstreets men were late to the party!

        With only one viable route for the transportation of troops between the two armies, and it was almost worn out by this time, I don't see how any major movement of troops between the two armies was possible, so the "Cooperation" between Grant and Sherman really did not effect the outcome of the conflict.

        Steve Hall - Commander
        Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        Sons of Confederate Veterans
        Chatsworth, Georgia