Champion Hill;

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2007
      It was some time ago that I read the book by Timothy Smith and never
      discussed it here.

      I guess the biggest surprise to me was that it was no 'rout' or total
      mismatch as I had thought.

      Is it fair to imagine that Grant could have lost this battle if the CS
      side had been better lead? Say if a better commander could have taken
      over but too late to do something like pick a different place of
      battle [or no battle at all].
    • Steve Hall
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2007
        You mention how Sherman and Grant worked together to prevent the movement of troops between theaters, and many have spoken of how great this plan was, but in reality it did not matter that much.  Think about it, the ONLY major battle of the entire war which was influenced by the movement of troops from one major army to another was Chickamauga!  Even then most of Longstreets men were late to the party!

        With only one viable route for the transportation of troops between the two armies, and it was almost worn out by this time, I don't see how any major movement of troops between the two armies was possible, so the "Cooperation" between Grant and Sherman really did not effect the outcome of the conflict.

        Steve Hall - Commander
        Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        Sons of Confederate Veterans
        Chatsworth, Georgia