HPS Campaign Chickamauga

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
      My wife bought the game as my F-day gift and I can make the following
      report.

      Graphis are unchanged from the past games.

      The maps are larger and more inclusive. Chickamauga's map runs North
      to Chattanooga and well south of the current NBP, as did the battle.

      The mix of battles when coupled with Campaign Franklin covers the
      AoT. I'm sure something is left out but I don't know what it would
      be or enough to miss it.

      They have included a series of AI games, at last! These are smaller
      games where one side's AI is well developed and designed to make a
      real game of it. I'm about 3 turns into one of them and the AI is
      fighting in a very historic and not stupid fashion. This is a real
      improvement over most of the games.

      Overall, I cannot be anything but bais having bought them all. I
      find them great historical games to play and fun too.

      James
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007

        James which game is this? I have never bought a PC game having always played table top games.  What are some good ones that a person can begin with and will hold a person’s interest and be good solo?
        Than
        ks,

        Tom

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007

          > James which game is this? I have never bought a PC game having
          always played
          > table top games. What are some good ones that a person can begin
          with and
          > will hold a person's interest and be good solo?

          Tom,

          I go back to the 1st edition of AH's Gettysburg in the 50s as a
          wargammer. Family, work, space and a number of other things always
          seemed to get in the war but I still bought games. The PC solves the
          problems of space and player.

          If you ever saw SPI's TSS series on Civil War battles the HPS series
          is based on this. They are all called Campaign something and work on
          a historical and what-if series of stand alone games and one or more
          campaigns. The AI is not to good and the larger the battle the worse
          it is. For that reason, I like Ozark which is MO in 1861 & 1862.
          Chickamauga has a series of AI games and the few turns I played look
          to be a big improvement of the standard AI.

          If you go on Amazon.com, they have most of the games and you can see
          reviews on each of them. Amazon has them for much less than buying
          them through HPS.

          James
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007

            James,

            Thanks for the great advice. I’ll check out Amazon but first some housekeeping issues: what does HPS and AI stand for?      I have the TSS games and thoroughly enjoy them.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007
              HPS is short for HPS Simulations is the name of the comany that
              markets the games.

              AI is artifical intellgence and is the PC player.

              HPS has a website and you can do a find on John Tiller who is the
              author of this system.

              If you enjoy the TSS system these games will be great for you. When
              I saw my first Tiller game TSS was my first thought.

              James

              > James,
              >
              > Thanks for the great advice. I'll check out Amazon but first some
              > housekeeping issues: what does HPS and AI stand for? I have
              the TSS
              > games and thoroughly enjoy them.
              >
              > Tom

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 17, 2007

                James thanks for patience in pointing this out to me. I will visit Amazon soon as you suggest and check it all out. It sounds fascinating.

                Thanks again.

                Tom

                HPS is short for HPS Simulations is the name of the comany that
                markets the games.

                AI is artifical intellgence and is the PC player.

                HPS has a website and you can do a find on John Tiller who is the
                author of this system.

                If you enjoy the TSS system these games will be great for you. When
                I saw my first Tiller game TSS was my first thought.

                James

                --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@...> wrote:

                > James,
                >
                > Thanks for the great advice. I'll check out Amazon but first some
                > housekeeping issues: what does HPS and AI stand for? I have
                the TSS
                > games and thoroughly enjoy them.
                >
                > Tom

              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                  James, is it a game that helps you understand the battle, or would you
                  say it is more of a case of letting you explore alternative outcomes?

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
                  wrote:

                  > My wife bought the game as my F-day gift and I can make the following
                  > report.
                  >
                  > Graphis are unchanged from the past games.
                  >
                  > The maps are larger and more inclusive. Chickamauga's map runs North
                  > to Chattanooga and well south of the current NBP, as did the battle.
                  >
                  > The mix of battles when coupled with Campaign Franklin covers the
                  > AoT. I'm sure something is left out but I don't know what it would
                  > be or enough to miss it.
                  >
                  > They have included a series of AI games, at last! These are smaller
                  > games where one side's AI is well developed and designed to make a
                  > real game of it. I'm about 3 turns into one of them and the AI is
                  > fighting in a very historic and not stupid fashion. This is a real
                  > improvement over most of the games.
                  >
                  > Overall, I cannot be anything but bais having bought them all. I
                  > find them great historical games to play and fun too.
                  >
                  > James

                • James W. Durney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007

                    > James, is it a game that helps you understand the battle, or would you
                    > say it is more of a case of letting you explore alternative outcomes?

                    It can be either and can be both. If you play with a human by email,
                    PBEM is the term, what happens and where will the battle go?
                    Impossible to say.

                    However, you can play a specific action on a smaller field with a
                    shorter time frame and come very close to the historical outcome.

                    In terms of "feel". You will find many of the problems tha commanders
                    had. Try to maintain a battle line and had tow regiments route. Keep
                    you men supplied with ammo and watch you artillery ammo supply. if you
                    bang away you will get into BIG problems.

                    Movement is along roads, the division gets into a long line and moves.
                    Wagons & guns are slower. Try to move over fields, tress, creeks all
                    slow you down. I tried to keep the CSA battle line together at Shiloh,
                    what a job and I cold look down on it. Try marching Longstreet's
                    divisions at Gettysburg, unseen.

                    Remember, I am a BUG FAN of these games so this is bias!

                    James
                  • Carl Williams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 19, 2007
                      OK, James, added to my "wish-list" at amazon but that's as far as I
                      got. Waiting for a notion that I have some time on my hands *delirious
                      laughter*

                      I see you havent written a review for the French and Indian War. I
                      have some interest in that war now, and wonder how good that product is.
                    • James W. Durney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 19, 2007

                        > OK, James, added to my "wish-list" at amazon but that's as far as I
                        > got. Waiting for a notion that I have some time on my hands *delirious
                        > laughter*
                        >
                        > I see you havent written a review for the French and Indian War. I
                        > have some interest in that war now, and wonder how good that product
                        is.

                        I am to busy with the ACW to get into another war. Their are some very
                        good items on that war and I keep looking at them.

                        James
                      • Tom Mix
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 19, 2007

                          James,

                          I visited Amazon and checked what HPS games are available and found Chickamauga, Gettysburg and Vicksburg but Shiloh and Franklin were only available in the used category. Can you recommend some others on Shiloh and Franklin?

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007

                            > James,
                            >
                            > I visited Amazon and checked what HPS games are available and found
                            > Chickamauga, Gettysburg and Vicksburg but Shiloh and Franklin were
                            only
                            > available in the used category. Can you recommend some others on
                            Shiloh and
                            > Franklin?

                            I have them all. The game system is the same but the units, leaders
                            and fields differ. This gets inot what you would like and how do you
                            feel about the armies and battles in each campaign. You might want
                            to start with Chickamauga for the AI specific games. After that you
                            can decide what you want. Check HPS www page for screen shots and a
                            more detailed write up on each game.

                            James
                          • Tom Mix
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007

                              Thanks, James, I’ll take your advice.

                              Tom

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 12, 2007
                                I've been playing some of the special AI games on the CD and having a
                                great time with them. Just got a draw as the CSA at Ringgold, the
                                prior game was a win as Sheridan at Stones River. The battles are
                                Perryville, Stones River, Frankfort, Nashville, Chickamauga, Greater
                                Mill Springs and Chattanooga. However this is the first game to have
                                special AI only games included.

                                If you want to take a look at this they are at hpssims.com

                                Prices are better on amazon.com than at HPS.

                                James
                              • drummytommer
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 3, 2013
                                  HI,

                                  Newbie here. Does anyone know of a mod or alternate scenario to the HPS Simulations game "Campaign Chickamauga" which covers the McLemore's Cove incident? It is treated in Glen Tucker's excellent book as a lost oppurtunity for the CSA to pounce on an isolated USA division?

                                  thanks.
                                • "Holger Klaßmann"
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 4, 2013
                                    Hi!

                                    Didn't even know the game, but after checking I must say I' like to have this one. Does anybody know how to get it in Germany? I have no credit card and Amazon does not have it.

                                    Knd regards!

                                    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                                    > Datum: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:31:08 -0000
                                    > Von: "drummytommer" <drummytommer@...>
                                    > An: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                                    > Betreff: [civilwarwest] HPS Campaign Chickamauga

                                    > HI,
                                    >
                                    > Newbie here. Does anyone know of a mod or alternate scenario to the HPS
                                    > Simulations game "Campaign Chickamauga" which covers the McLemore's Cove
                                    > incident? It is treated in Glen Tucker's excellent book as a lost oppurtunity
                                    > for the CSA to pounce on an isolated USA division?
                                    >
                                    > thanks.

                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 20, 2013

                                      I don’t know about alternate games to the McLemore's Cove incident, but glad my great grandfather, a Union Captain on Negley’s staff, got out of there. Dave

                                    • dpowell334
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
                                        What was your ggf's name?

                                        Dave Powell