Re: General Grant and his drinking

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 9, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
      wrote:

      > Read Peter Cozzens' books, This Terrible Sound, No Better Place to
      Die, The Darkest Days of the War, and Iuka and Corinth. They are very
      good, enjoyed them a lot. You may find a fault with them (don't know
      what fault) but they fill many blanks in the literature of the
      confederate western fighting. A book that I found surprising excellent
      and beyond my expectations is Kenneth Hofendorfer's Mill Springs. This
      book along should prevent the question of "Has anybody written a good
      book since Castel". Mill Springs was a small battle but the strategy
      and campaign involved in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee started in
      July 1861 and Concluded in defeat in January 1862. This was the true
      beginning of the collapse of Johnston's line. This book is a real
      sleeper of civil war literature.
      > Ron

      Cozzen's Iuka book is very good, but he bends over backwards to
      criticize Grant, often exceeding the bounds of evidence, logic, and
      even physics.

      The idea that Rosecrans could have marched from Rienzi to Vicksburg in
      six days is simply laughable. Cozzens regurgitates the assertion
      without comment. 'Nuff said.

      It's not that he's a mindless Rosecrans cheerleader, he puts in a few
      jabs on Rosecrans also. So don't let the egregious Grant bashing stop
      you from buying the book, or studying the Mississippi theatre in late
      1862.
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 9, 2007