Re: [civilwarwest] Re: General Grant and his drinking

  • Ronald black
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 8, 2007
      Read Peter Cozzens' books, This Terrible Sound, No Better Place to Die,  The Darkest Days of the War, and Iuka and Corinth.  They are very good, enjoyed them a lot.  You may find a fault with them (don't know what fault) but they fill many blanks in the literature of the confederate western fighting.  A book that I found surprising excellent and beyond my expectations is Kenneth Hofendorfer's Mill Springs.  This book along should prevent the question of "Has anybody  written a good book since Castel".  Mill Springs was a small battle but the strategy and campaign involved in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee started in July 1861 and Concluded in defeat in January 1862.  This was the true beginning of the collapse of Johnston's line.  This book is a real sleeper of civil war literature.
      Ron
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 9, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
        wrote:

        > Read Peter Cozzens' books, This Terrible Sound, No Better Place to
        Die, The Darkest Days of the War, and Iuka and Corinth. They are very
        good, enjoyed them a lot. You may find a fault with them (don't know
        what fault) but they fill many blanks in the literature of the
        confederate western fighting. A book that I found surprising excellent
        and beyond my expectations is Kenneth Hofendorfer's Mill Springs. This
        book along should prevent the question of "Has anybody written a good
        book since Castel". Mill Springs was a small battle but the strategy
        and campaign involved in the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee started in
        July 1861 and Concluded in defeat in January 1862. This was the true
        beginning of the collapse of Johnston's line. This book is a real
        sleeper of civil war literature.
        > Ron

        Cozzen's Iuka book is very good, but he bends over backwards to
        criticize Grant, often exceeding the bounds of evidence, logic, and
        even physics.

        The idea that Rosecrans could have marched from Rienzi to Vicksburg in
        six days is simply laughable. Cozzens regurgitates the assertion
        without comment. 'Nuff said.

        It's not that he's a mindless Rosecrans cheerleader, he puts in a few
        jabs on Rosecrans also. So don't let the egregious Grant bashing stop
        you from buying the book, or studying the Mississippi theatre in late
        1862.