Re: Chattanooga

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 8, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@...> wrote:

      > No one that I know of has ever reported that they thought Thomas
      should
      > have been named commander of the Division of the Mississippi rather
      than
      > Grant. Many of Thomas' contemporaries thought so because of
      > Thomas' seniority and infinitly better battle performances. But,
      > even they realized Shermy had his nose buried so deep it was a
      foregone
      > conclusion.

      I was not talking about department command but about command at
      Chattanooga. The Thomas fan club, always seems upset that Grant
      showed up at all.

      > In addition, the anti-Sherman group has a field day with Tunnel
      Hill.

      > Well, Sherman continued his unmilitary bumbling at MR. He was slow
      > getting his troops into position, Slow advancing them (Had he
      attacked
      > immediately he would have found no resistance). Slow in making a
      > reconnaissance (Made it just before he was to attack), and found he
      was
      > a hill short of his target. He seems to have learned his strategy
      from
      > Butler and Burnside.

      What you say may or may not be fully correct but this is not unique
      to Sherman or to Tunnel Hill area. In addition, one can alwyas
      question why this area had not be scouted prior to Grant's arrival.

      > To top things off, this seems to be one of Grant's poorer efforts
      and
      > that releases the anti-Grant groups.
      >
      > You've established a new standard by indicating Grant had a poor
      > day. Congratulations!

      Everyone has apoor day and the higher up you get the better your
      chances of are having more of them.

      > Hooker, still smarting from summer is the joker in the deck.
      >
      > Hooker performed brilliantly on the Rebels left.

      It was very hard not to perform "brilliantly" against the majority of
      the AoT at that time. Most of the army had very bad supply and moral
      problems and had hit bottom. Pat's division was an exception and
      shows what an exceptional leader he was.

      > Thomas seems to have slighted Grant from when he showed up; failing
      > show him the respect due a commanding officer. His actions seem to
      be
      > much less than what is expected as basic kindness.
      >
      > You are correct! Thomas seems! This legend was started by James
      Harrison
      > Wilson and is the only mention of this incident extant. Porter
      echoes
      > Wilson's statement but is a poor witness since he came with Baldy
      > Smith after the alleged "insult" occurred and could not have been
      > witness.

      If half the story is true, Thomas was wrong and insulting. I
      used "seems" becuse of the questions but I feel their is a factual
      foundation for it.

      > Sherman, favored by Grant, is stuck with problems that no one
      understood
      > or expected. The tactical problems of the Tunnel Hillcomplex is made
      > worse by facing one of the few real fightingdivisions in the AoT.
      >
      > Sorry! He was faced with no one if he had not been so slow. Don't
      > understand the tactical problems you mention. He could have flanked
      the
      > Rebel position and threatened Chickamauga Station, where Bragg had
      his
      > stores. That would have grabbed the Reb's by the short hairs.
      > Cleburne did not have his whole division up. He had some of it plus
      > couple other brigades. Against Sherman's uninspired straight-up
      > charges, that's all he needed. Sherman had 5 or 6 division's and
      > Thomas cavalry and still couldn't get `er done!

      You continue to overlook some very real problems in your attack on
      Sherman.

      [snips]

      > Bragg is in an impossible task having lost total control of his
      army and
      > unable to move forward or fall back.
      >
      > I thought he fell back to Dalton, Ga.

      I was talking about Bragg's position prior to the battle during
      the "seige". He didn't have the men or transportation to maintain
      the "seige" BUT he was unable to fall back due to other
      considerations.

      James
    • william
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 25, 2010
        Thnk you, I was under the impression that Cleburne was pretty much alone in the defence of the northern end.

        Bill Bruner