Cozzens' Iuka

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2007
      Does anyone here have an opinion on Cozzens' Iuka?

      It seems to me that he goes out of his way to bash Grant. The most
      egregious example I can point out is that he seems to excoriate Grant
      for terminating Rosecrans' pursuit. However, Rosecrans is clearly
      delusional, claiming that he is six days' march from Vicksburg, when
      in reality he is a month's march away from Vicksburg under perfect
      conditions (250 - 300 miles), with winter weather looming.

      Cozzens calls Grant to the carpet for allowing Van Dorn to meet up
      with 5000 exchanged prisoners in Holly Springs ... does he imagine
      that those 5000 men wouldn't have simply been refitted in Grenada, or
      Canton, or Jackson, or any point of the Confederate's choosing?
      Cozzens himself admits that it only took Van Dorn a short while to
      refit them ... so they would have been available to Van Dorn at least
      by the time that Rosecrans showed up at Jackson. And of course then
      you would have had Rosecrans in charge of the army, and it's pretty
      clear from his battlefield command at Iuka, Corinth, and Chickamauga
      that he tended to come unglued in a fight.
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2007
        I eoyed the book but I felt that at times there was a disconnect
        between the material he presented and the opinions he states. You
        give one such example.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 25, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
          wrote:

          > I eoyed the book but I felt that at times there was a disconnect
          > between the material he presented and the opinions he states. You
          > give one such example.

          It seems to me that Cozzens misses some very real opportunities to
          highlight the humor of Rosecrans' command style ... case in point:

          Late in the morning, Rosecrans, under the impression that he has sent
          McPherson ahead to pursue Van Dorn, stumbles upon McPherson's Brigade,
          standing in column in the road. Rosecrans stops to ask McPherson why
          he hasn't started the pursuit, McPherson pulls the written order from
          his pocket and shows it to Rosecrans "Have your troops formed and ready
          for pursuit in the morning."
        • Ronald black
          Message 4 of 8 , May 25, 2007
            Tony;
            I have read all four of his books and enjoyed them as a good read.  The narration flows nicely with a good balance between the people involved on both sides.  I highly recommend them for more than just civil war fans.  I don't recall the thoughts you mention concerning Grant and Rosecrans but please remember that Rosecrans and Grant were not getting along.  These problems may be the fall out between these officers.
            Ron
[...]

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Tom Mix
            Message 5 of 8 , May 25, 2007

              Humor and a questionable competence.

              Tom

              > I eoyed the book but I felt that at times there was a disconnect
              > between the material he presented and the opinions he states. You
              > give one such example.

              It seems to me that Cozzens misses some very real opportunities to
              highlight the humor of Rosecrans' command style ... case in point:

              Late in the morning, Rosecrans, under the impression that he has sent
              McPherson ahead to pursue Van Dorn, stumbles upon McPherson's Brigade,
              standing in column in the road. Rosecrans stops to ask McPherson why
              he hasn't started the pursuit, McPherson pulls the written order from
              his pocket and shows it to Rosecrans "Have your troops formed and ready
              for pursuit in the morning."

            • Bob Huddleston
              Message 6 of 8 , May 25, 2007
                Yeah.  And it reminds one of the orders to Wood at Chickamauga!

                Take care,

                Bob

                Judy and Bob Huddleston
                10643 Sperry Street
                Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

                "This war is like an actress who is getting old. It is less and less photogenic and more and more dangerous."
                                                -- Bob Capa, 1913-1954

                the book but I felt that at times there was a disconnect
                > between the
                material he presented and the opinions he states. You
                > give one such
                example.

                It seems to me that Cozzens misses some very real opportunities to
                highlight the humor of Rosecrans' command style ... case in point:

                Late in the morning, Rosecrans, under the impression that he has sent
                McPherson ahead to pursue Van Dorn, stumbles upon McPherson's Brigade,
                standing in column in the road. Rosecrans stops to ask McPherson why
                he hasn't started the pursuit, McPherson pulls the written order from
                his pocket and shows it to Rosecrans "Have your troops formed and ready
                for pursuit in the morning."

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 8 , May 25, 2007

                  Which merits the question…who actually wrote the order?

                  My apologies if this was merely a rhetorical bash session…;-)

                  Harry

                  303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@ comcast.net

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 25, 2007

                    What is you take on the Wood orders, Bob?

                    Tom