Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

SHILOH (and that darn page 330)

Expand Messages
  • Theodore P. Savas
    Hello all First, thanks for the wonderful open-arms reception this book is receiving. Everyone associated with this amazing manuscript-to-book story
    Message 1 of 10 , May 24 3:55 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello all

      First, thanks for the wonderful open-arms reception this book is
      receiving. Everyone associated with this amazing manuscript-to-book
      story appreciates it. Frankly, I think the editors did a great job
      and deserve all the accolades they can receive. It is a shame Dr.
      Cunningham is not alive to share in them as well. His was an
      unusually good (and young) talent.

      Second, that darn page 330. Let me apologize for the heart-stopping,
      gray hair-inducing mistake. A mini-history of this small fiasco and
      its solution is in order. But the first message I want to get across
      to everyone is that this has nothing to do with the work of the
      author/editors.
      In reviewing the printer blue lines, we noticed a minor error on
      page 331, and asked the printer to change the page. We supplied a
      pdf of 331 to do so. They received it, fixed it, and faxed the
      corrected page. All looked to be in order. Only later, after a
      handful of books had been sold, did we realize they had also
      replaced original 330 with page 331—hence two page 331s.

      To the printer's credit, their CSR immediately issued a recall of
      for all the books in the warehouse. We held up deliveries, and they
      reprinted and shipped the entire run within one working week. (Ask
      someone in the printing business how amazing that feat is for a
      hardcover book.)

      To the best of my knowledge, I estimate there are about 225 copies
      with this mistake in circulation. The vast majority are SIGNED,
      either the Abraham Lincoln Bookshop editions or the books Tim, Gary,
      and I signed at Shiloh. That makes those rather special, and of
      course, no one who has brought this to our attention wants to
      replace that book with another corrected copy. (If you do, that's
      fine too. I would rather have yours in my library to will to my
      kids.)

      If you need a new page 330, please send an email to
      militarybooks@.... I will see you immediately receive a
      pdf of that page for you to insert into the book. If you want to
      exchange your copy for a corrected copy, we will pay return postage
      and send you a new one.

      Thanks again for your support.

      If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me (916-941-6896)
      or email and fire away.

      Best regards.

      tps
      Theodore P. Savas
    • James W. Durney
      ... The full email address is militarybooks@sbcglobal.net. I ve looked for my PDF and cannot find it, sorry. James
      Message 2 of 10 , May 24 6:32 PM
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Theodore P. Savas"
        <ted_savas@...> wrote:
        >
        > If you need a new page 330, please send an email to
        > militarybooks@... I will see you immediately receive a
        > pdf of that page for you to insert into the book. If you want to
        > exchange your copy for a corrected copy, we will pay return postage
        > and send you a new one.
        >

        The full email address is militarybooks@.... I've looked for
        my PDF and cannot find it, sorry.

        James
      • gnrljejohnston
        ... Gary, ... What is ironic Ted, is that Sam and I bought our books at the same time at Shiloh. The books were right next to each other. His was missing
        Message 3 of 10 , May 28 8:48 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Theodore P. Savas"
          <ted_savas@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hello all
          >
          > To the best of my knowledge, I estimate there are about 225 copies
          > with this mistake in circulation. The vast majority are SIGNED,
          > either the Abraham Lincoln Bookshop editions or the books Tim,
          Gary,
          > and I signed at Shiloh. That makes those rather special, and of
          > course, no one who has brought this to our attention wants to
          > replace that book with another corrected copy. (If you do, that's
          > fine too. I would rather have yours in my library to will to my
          > kids.)
          >
          > If you need a new page 330, please send an email to
          > militarybooks@... I will see you immediately receive a
          > pdf of that page for you to insert into the book. If you want to
          > exchange your copy for a corrected copy, we will pay return postage
          > and send you a new one.
          >
          > Thanks again for your support.
          >
          > If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me (916-941-6896)
          > or email and fire away.
          >
          > Best regards.
          >
          > tps
          > Theodore P. Savas

          What is ironic Ted, is that Sam and I bought our books at the same
          time at Shiloh. The books were right next to each other. His was
          missing page 330 while mine did not. Aah yes, strange things do
          happen.

          JEJ
          >
        • keeno2@aol.com
          In a message dated 5/28/2007 10:50:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com writes: What is ironic Ted, is that Sam and I bought our books at the
          Message 4 of 10 , May 28 12:51 PM
          • 0 Attachment
            In a message dated 5/28/2007 10:50:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
            What is ironic Ted, is that Sam and I bought our books at the same time at Shiloh.  The books were right next to each other.  His was missing page 330 while mine did not.  Aah yes, strange things do happen.
             
            Think I got bitten twice. Have the booboo book but it's not signed. Guess I'll settle for the pdf insert and keep it as a memento.
             
            Ken

             
             




            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Dan G
            I have got one of the books and it is an unsigned copy.. I bought it the anniversary weekend at Shiloh... I belong to another discussion group and they have
            Message 5 of 10 , May 29 4:24 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              I have got one of the books and it is an unsigned copy..  I bought it the anniversary weekend at Shiloh... 
              I belong to another discussion group and they have several unsigned copies without page 330 as well.. 
              With all the copies we know about I am wondering if there is more than 225 copies floating  around out there
              Dan

              keeno2@... wrote:
              In a message dated 5/28/2007 10:50:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@ aol.com writes:
              What is ironic Ted, is that Sam and I bought our books at the same time at Shiloh.  The books were right next to each other.  His was missing page 330 while mine did not.  Aah yes, strange things do happen.
               
              Think I got bitten twice. Have the booboo book but it's not signed. Guess I'll settle for the pdf insert and keep it as a memento.
               
              Ken

               
               




              See what's free at AOL.com.


              Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
              Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

            • James W. Durney
              ... the anniversary weekend at Shiloh... ... copies without page 330 as well.. ... than 225 copies floating around out there ... Dan, It might be that we over
              Message 6 of 10 , May 29 5:36 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Dan G <dan6764@...> wrote:
                >
                > I have got one of the books and it is an unsigned copy.. I bought it
                the anniversary weekend at Shiloh...
                > I belong to another discussion group and they have several unsigned
                copies without page 330 as well..
                > With all the copies we know about I am wondering if there is more
                than 225 copies floating around out there
                > Dan
                >


                Dan,

                It might be that we over represent the early buyers. I made every
                effort to get a copy ASAP and am sure that others in this group did
                too. Has anyone reported just buying the book and finding the problem?

                James
              • Theodore P. Savas
                Dan, All. James, you hit the nail on the head. You bunch of die hard battle study guys (I count myself in the group) were knocking down our door even before
                Message 7 of 10 , May 29 7:46 AM
                • 0 Attachment
                  Dan, All.

                  James, you hit the nail on the head. You bunch of die hard battle
                  study guys (I count myself in the group) were knocking down our door
                  even before the book was at the printer. Only the very early
                  purchasers have one of these titles.

                  I can tell you with absolute certainty there are about 225 copies
                  outstanding (10 percent either way). Every copy sitting in our
                  warehouse was put on hold (only about 30 slipped out before the hold
                  went into effect), and the entire lot was shipped back and destroyed.

                  I have been copying some of this email back and forth to the printer
                  representative, who told me about five minutes ago that it only
                  confirms they made the right decision to pull, fix, expedite and
                  ship.

                  It kills me when people experience an inconvenience built around one
                  of our products. Let me extend to all of you this offer:

                  1) If you need 330 as a pdf, write here: militarybooks@...
                  and we will email it back.

                  2) If any of you (since I can't prove who has a book and who does
                  not, I will cheerfully extend this to everyone) would like to
                  purchase an in-stock Savas Beatie title [www.savasbeatie.com], I
                  will be happy to extend a 25% discount and free shipping. Use the
                  above email address so we can confirm the arrangement, instead of
                  ordering directly on line because this offer has to go through me.
                  This will remain open through the July 4th holiday.

                  Have a good week.

                  tps
                  Theodore P. Savas
                  www.savasbeatie.com



                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Dan G <dan6764@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have got one of the books and it is an unsigned copy.. I
                  bought it
                  > the anniversary weekend at Shiloh...
                  > > I belong to another discussion group and they have several
                  unsigned
                  > copies without page 330 as well..
                  > > With all the copies we know about I am wondering if there is
                  more
                  > than 225 copies floating around out there
                  > > Dan
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  > Dan,
                  >
                  > It might be that we over represent the early buyers. I made every
                  > effort to get a copy ASAP and am sure that others in this group
                  did
                  > too. Has anyone reported just buying the book and finding the
                  problem?
                  >
                  > James
                  >
                • Tom Mix
                  I am one of those who tried early on to get my copy and failed. Mine finally arrived last week from Amazon with all pages present and accounted for. Apparently
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 29 9:53 AM
                  • 0 Attachment

                    I am one of those who tried early on to get my copy and failed. Mine finally arrived last week from Amazon with all pages present and accounted for. Apparently there were advantages to getting it late. 

                     

                    -----Original Message-----
                    From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of James W. Durney
                    Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:36 AM
                    To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: SHILOH (and that darn page 330)

                     

                    --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Dan G <dan6764@... > wrote:

                    >
                    > I have got one of the books and it is an unsigned copy.. I bought it
                    the anniversary weekend at Shiloh...
                    > I belong to another discussion group and they have several unsigned
                    copies without page 330 as well..
                    > With all the copies we know about I am wondering if there is more
                    than 225 copies floating around out there
                    > Dan
                    >

                    Dan,

                    It might be that we over represent the early buyers. I made every
                    effort to get a copy ASAP and am sure that others in this group did
                    too. Has anyone reported just buying the book and finding the problem?

                    James

                  • Dan G
                    Theodore P. Savas wrote: . It kills me when people experience an inconvenience built around one of our products. Dont beat
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 29 10:13 AM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@...> wrote:
                      .

                      It kills me when people experience an inconvenience built around one
                      of our products.
                       
                      Dont beat yourself up..  You have made a great effort to fix the problem..  In the overall scheme of things if this is the worse thing that happens in life we are all looking good 
                       
                      Dan



                      >



                      You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
                      in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                    • James W. Durney
                      One problem is we have given away the ending . No one will be blissfully reading away and hit the wall any longer. The first thing people are doing is
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 29 11:30 AM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        One problem is we have "given away the ending". No one will be
                        blissfully reading away and hit the wall any longer. The first thing
                        people are doing is checking these pages. It did take my train off the
                        tracks.

                        James
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.