Re: Bledsoe's Artillery At Raymond

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2007

> [...]
      > they pushed forward to meet the foe. By this movement we reached
      the
      > same plateau upon which the enemy were posted, and our battery was
      > brought into action under command of Lieutenant [C. W.] Higgins,
      but
      > assisted by Colonel [H. M.] Bledsoe, of the Sixth Infantry, who had
      > been in charge of it since the commencement of the war, and who had
      > so signally distinguished himself as a brave officer and skillful
      > field artillerist. Here our favorite old piece "Sacramento" found
      > herself sustained by others, commanded by those who proved
      themselves
      > during the day to be brave and gallant soldiers.
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > 2. There were officially only two Whitworth Guns assigned the
      command
      > of General Pemberton
      > ---------------------------------
      >
      > HEADQUARTERS DISTRICT OF WESTERN LOUISIANA,
      > Bayou Teclie, November 10, 1862.
      > Lient. Gen. J. C. PEMBERTON,
      > Commanding Department, Jackson, Miss.:
      >
      > GENERAL: I seize the first opportunity to write you concerning the
      > condition of affairs in this locality...the State of Mississippi,
      was
      > unable to get out before the enemy's gunboats got into the bay. I
      > shall endeavor, however, at the earliest moment possible to have
      this
      > salt transported by land to a point on the Atchafalaya where it may
      > be reshipped and forwarded to its destination.
      >
      > If by any means you can spare me the two Whitworth guns now at
      > Vicksburg, with a sufficient supply of ammunition, I think I can
      > drive the enemy from Berwick Bay and recover the entire control of
      > the Atchafalaya.
      >
      > I am informed that there are some siege guns at Vicksburg Can. you
      > spare a few of them? I am, general, very respectfully, your
      obedient
      > servant,
      > R. TAYLOR,
      > Major- General.
      >
      > -------------------------
      > 3. These two guns were accounted for and in the control of Hebert's
      > Brigade
      > -------------------------
      > Early in the day Col. Isaac W. Patton received orders directly from
      > the lieutenant-general commanding to return to Snyder's Mill, for
      the
      > purpose of disposing of the guns and stores left there. These
      orders
      > relieved Lieutenant-Colonel [J. T.] Plattsmier of the duty I had
      > assigned him, and I have, therefore, no report to make of what was
      > really finally abandoned at Snyder's Mill.
      >
      > Colonel Patton, having received his orders directly from the
      > lieutenant-general commanding, made me no report on his return to
      > Vicksburg on May 19. I am not aware that he has made any report to
      > department headquarters.
      >
      > On May 17, several wagon loads of ammunition were sent from
      Snyder's
> [...]
      > of no ordnance or ordnance stores lost of my command during the
      siege
      > of Vicksburg, and, therefore, have no statement to make for that
      > period of time.
      > I remain, respectfully, your obedient servant,
      > LOUIS HÉBERT,
      > Brigadier-General.
      > P. S.--It may be proper to state that at the surrender, on July 4,
      > stacked on my line, or left in the trenches, about 2,075
      serviceable
      > small-arms and five pieces of serviceable light artillery. One-
      fourth
      > of the enlisted men had two pieces small-arms--one musket and one
      > rifle. All other artillery was at the time unserviceable.
      > List of ordnance left at Snyder's Mill, May 17, 1863.
      >
      > List of ordnance left at Snyder's Mill, May 17, 1863.
      > 10-inch columbiads 2
      > 8-inch columbiads 3
      > 42-pounder smooth-bore 1
      > 32-pounder rifles (banded) 2
      > 32-pounder rifles (not banded) 2
      > 32-pounder smooth-bore 1
      > 32-pounder Navy 2
      > 30-pounder Parrotts 2
      > 24-pounder rifle 1
      > 24-pounder smooth-bore 1
      > Whitworth gun 1
      > 12-pounder howitzers, without caissons (field brass pieces) 2
      > Total number of guns 20
      >
      > ----------------------------
      > 4. The Whitworth Gun brought to Vicksburg burst.
      >
      > ----------------------------
      > Report of Brig. Gen. W. E. Baldwin, C. S. Army, Commanding First
      > Brigade.
      > MAY 19-JULY 4, 1863. HEADQUARTERS FIRST BRIGADE, SMITH'S DIVISION,
      > Vicksburg, July 10, 1863 RIES I--VOLUME XXIV/2 [S# 37]
      > On Monday, the 18th instant, at 10 a.m., two of my regiments were
      > moved back to their old camping ground near the graveyard, on the
      > north of the city....
      >
      > ...During the day the following pieces of light artillery were
      placed
      > in position on my line: One 30-pounder Parrott gun, manned by a
      > detachment from a Missouri battery (this gun burst on the evening
      of
      > Friday, and was replaced by a 32-pounder smooth-bore, served by a
      > detachment from Captain [J. P.] Lynch's company, First Tennessee
      > Artillery); one Whitworth gun, which also burst the first day; one
      24-
      > pounder howitzer, two 12.pounder howitzers, two 6-pounder guns, and
      > two 3.inch rifled guns, served by Wofford's company, Withers'
      > regiment light artillery, and three 6-pounder guns, served by a
      > detachment of Guibor's artillery company, the whole under the
      > immediate direction of Captain [J. L.] Wofford as chief of
      artillery
      > for the brigade.
      >
      > -----------------------
      > Also the O.R. states that Bledsoe's Battery had a detachment
      assigned
      > to Hebert's Brigade, that served at Snyder's Mill and Fort
      Pemberton,
      > where these Whitworths are reported being used ...

      Oops, forgot to include this piece:

      ------------------------
      HDQRS. SECOND DIVISION MISSOURI STATE GUARD,
      July 20, 1861.

      SIR: 1 have the honor to report to you the action of my division in
      the several engagements of the 5th instant.

      About 1 o'clock on the morning of the 5th I received an order from
      your excellency to take up the line of march at 4 a. m. southward
      towards Carthage, assigning my command to the right front. My force
      consisted of the First Brigade, commanded by Colonel Weightman, of
      the First Cavalry. This brigade was composed of Capt. Hiram Bledsoe's
      company of artillery (three pieces—one 12-pounder and two 6-
      pounders), 40 men,....