Bledsoe's Artillery At Raymond

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2007
      Thanks to David Upton from the Mississippi CW Message Board for
      running this down for me:

      1. There was an "Old Sacramento"
      ----------------------
      Report of Brig. Gen. James S. Rains, commanding Eighth Division,
      Missouri State Guard.

      HDQRS. EIGHTH DIVISION, MISSOURI STATE GUARD,
      March 20, 1862.

      About 10 a. m. we were ordered forward in double-quick time, and
      ascended a steep hill on the left, up which our artillery was rapidly
      rolled by the infantry, who there displayed the eagerness with which
      they pushed forward to meet the foe. By this movement we reached the
      same plateau upon which the enemy were posted, and our battery was
      brought into action under command of Lieutenant [C. W.] Higgins, but
      assisted by Colonel [H. M.] Bledsoe, of the Sixth Infantry, who had
      been in charge of it since the commencement of the war, and who had
      so signally distinguished himself as a brave officer and skillful
      field artillerist. Here our favorite old piece "Sacramento" found
      herself sustained by others, commanded by those who proved themselves
      during the day to be brave and gallant soldiers.

      ---------------------------------
      2. There were officially only two Whitworth Guns assigned the command
      of General Pemberton
      ---------------------------------

      HEADQUARTERS DISTRICT OF WESTERN LOUISIANA,
      Bayou Teclie, November 10, 1862.
      Lient. Gen. J. C. PEMBERTON,
      Commanding Department, Jackson, Miss.:

      GENERAL: I seize the first opportunity to write you concerning the
      condition of affairs in this locality...the State of Mississippi, was
      unable to get out before the enemy's gunboats got into the bay. I
      shall endeavor, however, at the earliest moment possible to have this
      salt transported by land to a point on the Atchafalaya where it may
      be reshipped and forwarded to its destination.

      If by any means you can spare me the two Whitworth guns now at
      Vicksburg, with a sufficient supply of ammunition, I think I can
      drive the enemy from Berwick Bay and recover the entire control of
      the Atchafalaya.

      I am informed that there are some siege guns at Vicksburg Can. you
      spare a few of them? I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient
      servant,
      R. TAYLOR,
      Major- General.

      -------------------------
      3. These two guns were accounted for and in the control of Hebert's
      Brigade
      -------------------------
      Early in the day Col. Isaac W. Patton received orders directly from
      the lieutenant-general commanding to return to Snyder's Mill, for the
      purpose of disposing of the guns and stores left there. These orders
      relieved Lieutenant-Colonel [J. T.] Plattsmier of the duty I had
      assigned him, and I have, therefore, no report to make of what was
      really finally abandoned at Snyder's Mill.

      Colonel Patton, having received his orders directly from the
      lieutenant-general commanding, made me no report on his return to
      Vicksburg on May 19. I am not aware that he has made any report to
      department headquarters.

      On May 17, several wagon loads of ammunition were sent from Snyder's
      Mill to Vicksburg. The amount sent in was known by my chief of
      ordnance, but this officer was, unfortunately, killed before he had
      sent in his report. I would estimate that at least one-half of the
      powder and cartridges, and perhaps one-half of the fixed ammunition,
      were brought into Vicksburg. I have reason to believe that the two 30-
      pounder Parrotts, one 24-pounder smooth-bore, the Whitworth gun, and
      the two 12-pounder howitzers (field brass pieces), given in the list,
      were brought into Vicksburg by Colonel Patton on May 18 or 19. I know
      of no ordnance or ordnance stores lost of my command during the siege
      of Vicksburg, and, therefore, have no statement to make for that
      period of time.
      I remain, respectfully, your obedient servant,
      LOUIS HÉBERT,
      Brigadier-General.
      P. S.--It may be proper to state that at the surrender, on July 4, I
      stacked on my line, or left in the trenches, about 2,075 serviceable
      small-arms and five pieces of serviceable light artillery. One-fourth
      of the enlisted men had two pieces small-arms--one musket and one
      rifle. All other artillery was at the time unserviceable.
      List of ordnance left at Snyder's Mill, May 17, 1863.

      List of ordnance left at Snyder's Mill, May 17, 1863.
      10-inch columbiads 2
      8-inch columbiads 3
      42-pounder smooth-bore 1
      32-pounder rifles (banded) 2
      32-pounder rifles (not banded) 2
      32-pounder smooth-bore 1
      32-pounder Navy 2
      30-pounder Parrotts 2
      24-pounder rifle 1
      24-pounder smooth-bore 1
      Whitworth gun 1
      12-pounder howitzers, without caissons (field brass pieces) 2
      Total number of guns 20

      ----------------------------
      4. The Whitworth Gun brought to Vicksburg burst.

      ----------------------------
      Report of Brig. Gen. W. E. Baldwin, C. S. Army, Commanding First
      Brigade.
      MAY 19-JULY 4, 1863. HEADQUARTERS FIRST BRIGADE, SMITH'S DIVISION,
      Vicksburg, July 10, 1863 RIES I--VOLUME XXIV/2 [S# 37]
      On Monday, the 18th instant, at 10 a.m., two of my regiments were
      moved back to their old camping ground near the graveyard, on the
      north of the city....

      ...During the day the following pieces of light artillery were placed
      in position on my line: One 30-pounder Parrott gun, manned by a
      detachment from a Missouri battery (this gun burst on the evening of
      Friday, and was replaced by a 32-pounder smooth-bore, served by a
      detachment from Captain [J. P.] Lynch's company, First Tennessee
      Artillery); one Whitworth gun, which also burst the first day; one 24-
      pounder howitzer, two 12.pounder howitzers, two 6-pounder guns, and
      two 3.inch rifled guns, served by Wofford's company, Withers'
      regiment light artillery, and three 6-pounder guns, served by a
      detachment of Guibor's artillery company, the whole under the
      immediate direction of Captain [J. L.] Wofford as chief of artillery
      for the brigade.

      -----------------------
      Also the O.R. states that Bledsoe's Battery had a detachment assigned
      to Hebert's Brigade, that served at Snyder's Mill and Fort Pemberton,
      where these Whitworths are reported being used ...
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2007

> [...]
        > detachment from Captain [J. P.] Lynch's company, First Tennessee
        > Artillery); one Whitworth gun, which also burst the first day; one
        24-
        > pounder howitzer, two 12.pounder howitzers, two 6-pounder guns, and
        > two 3.inch rifled guns, served by Wofford's company, Withers'
        > regiment light artillery, and three 6-pounder guns, served by a
        > detachment of Guibor's artillery company, the whole under the
        > immediate direction of Captain [J. L.] Wofford as chief of
        artillery
        > for the brigade.
        >
        > -----------------------
        > Also the O.R. states that Bledsoe's Battery had a detachment
        assigned
        > to Hebert's Brigade, that served at Snyder's Mill and Fort
        Pemberton,
        > where these Whitworths are reported being used ...

        Oops, forgot to include this piece:

        ------------------------
        HDQRS. SECOND DIVISION MISSOURI STATE GUARD,
        July 20, 1861.

        SIR: 1 have the honor to report to you the action of my division in
        the several engagements of the 5th instant.

        About 1 o'clock on the morning of the 5th I received an order from
        your excellency to take up the line of march at 4 a. m. southward
        towards Carthage, assigning my command to the right front. My force
        consisted of the First Brigade, commanded by Colonel Weightman, of
        the First Cavalry. This brigade was composed of Capt. Hiram Bledsoe's
        company of artillery (three pieces—one 12-pounder and two 6-
        pounders), 40 men,....