FW: Help Me, Ted Savas Kenobi, You're My Only Hope!

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2007

      Ted,

      I tried to send this to your email address, but it bounced

      I knew only one thing as I prepared for my June trip to Shiloh, and that was that I needed to reed the forthcoming “Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862”.  So, I put in my advance order with Amazon (I am a man of limited means but unlimited interest in ACW books, so cost is an object).  Time passed, and as I learned of the book’s publication, I still had not received any notice of shipment from Amazon.  Then I received notice from them that I would not be receiving the book until sometime in June.  Needing to read the book for a trip in June, I cancelled with Amazon and went to the Savas/Beatie site to order it.  But try as I might, I could not find a way to actually order the book on the site, only pre-order.  But I knew that the book was in the stores.  Finally, I purchased the book at full retail from the Abraham Lincoln Book Shop.

      The book is great.  The notes are great, too.  But as I turned paged 329 to read the rest of the sentence on page 330, I found that I have no page 330!!!  I have two of page 331!!!  ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

      While I realize that my copy is now a collector’s item, is there any way you could send me a pdf of page 330?  I’m finding it impossible to move ahead without the information on that page.  Help!!!

      Harry

    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 24, 2007
        In a message dated 5/24/2007 2:49:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hjs21@... writes:

        The book is great.  The notes are great, too.  But as I turned paged 329 to read the rest of the sentence on page 330, I found that I have no page 330!!!  I have two
        of page 331!!!  ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

        While I realize that my copy is now a collector’s item, is there any way you could send me a pdf of page 330?  I’m finding it impossible to move ahead without the information on that page.  Help!!!

        I'd like one, too--it will save me from getting it from Tim Smith.  I bought mine at Shiloh in March.

        Sam Elliott

        **************************************
        See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 15 , May 24, 2007
          If you read 331 twice you won't notice the difference......

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
          303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

          "This war is like an actress who is getting old. It is less and less photogenic and more and more dangerous."
                                          -- Bob Capa, 1913-1954

        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 24, 2007
            Harry, Sam, et al,

            My copy has two page 331s as well.

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters
            npeters102@...

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • SDE80@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 24, 2007
              In a message dated 5/24/2007 4:01:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

              My copy has two page 331s as well.

              Tim Smith tells me that about 400 of them were printed with two 331's, but that once the mistake was discovered, the unsold copies were yanked.

              Sam

              **************************************
              Message 6 of 15 , May 24, 2007
                In a message dated 5/24/2007 4:07:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, SDE80@... writes:
                Tim Smith tells me that about 400 of them were printed with two 331's, but that once the mistake was discovered, the unsold copies were yanked.

                Sam,

                It's good that Savas-Beatie is aware of the problem.

                Please give my best to Dr. Smith.

                Respectfully,

                Mike Peters
                npeters102@...

                See what's free at AOL.com.
              • James W. Durney
                Message 7 of 15 , May 24, 2007
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

                  > Tim Smith tells me that about 400 of them were printed with two
                  331's, but
                  > that once the mistake was discovered, the unsold copies were yanked.

                  That fits with what they told me. I thought mine was a "collectable",
                  oh well.
                • mobile ninetysix
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 25, 2007
                    Of the 400 that were discovered to have been mispaged,
                    how many were actually returned, as I also received a
                    double of pg. 331.
                    I'd also like to Discover "the Rest of the Story"
                    located on the missing page.
                    Chuck in IL.

                    ____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                  • Theodore P. Savas
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 25, 2007
                      Chuck

                      I think I posted in an earlier reply that there are about 225 or so
                      out there as best as we can figure. As of today, no one has returned
                      a "flawed" copy (even unsigned, of which there are a few) to
                      exchange for the corrected copy.

                      Send an email to militarybooks@... (www.savasbeatie.com
                      and I will see you get the page 330.

                      Thanks again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

                      tps

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, mobile ninetysix

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 25, 2007

                        Mine is unsigned (though when I ordered it from the Lincoln Book Shop, I thought I was getting a signed copy).  I’ll probably keep it for novelty’s sake.

                        Send an email to militarybooks@ sbcgglobal. net (www.savasbeatie. com

                      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 26, 2007
                          In a message dated 5/25/2007 8:45:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ted_savas@... writes:
                          Chuck

                          I think I posted in an earlier reply that there are about 225 or so
                          out there as best as we can figure. As of today, no one has returned
                          a "flawed" copy (even unsigned, of which there are a few) to
                          exchange for the corrected copy.
                          I have a copy, and see no reason to exchange it. I like the pdf, and the page flaw. Adds character:)

                          Dave Powell

                          See what's free at AOL.com.
                        • mobile_96
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 31, 2007
                            > Send an email to militarybooks@... (www.savasbeatie.com
                            > and I will see you get the page 330.
                            >
                            > Thanks again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                            dang nab Yahell!!
                            Ted, sorry to keep bring this up. I've gotten
                            returned mail from both the militarybooks addy
                            and your yahoo. Must be my day in the barrel,...again!
                            Anyhow, would you, or someone, please send the pdf to
                            mobile_96@...
                            I'm headed to Fort Donaldson/Shiloh/Corinth starting
                            June 11 as premuster to Spring Hill/Franklin/Columbia
                            starting the 14th, and will finish the Book, before
                            leaving.
                            Thank you! (again)
                            mobile_96 aka Chuck Tinder
                            http://mobile96.com
                          • Theodore P. Savas
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 31, 2007
                              Hi Chuck

                              I am at a loss to explain why an email to
                              militarybooks@... would bounce, as I get 100 a day there.

                              I will email you a separate file and please let me know if it goes
                              through. I have a yahoo account?? LOL. I have never checked it.

                              tps

                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "mobile_96" <mobile_96@...>
                              wrote:

                              > > Send an email to militarybooks@ (www.savasbeatie.com
                              > > and I will see you get the page 330.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                              > dang nab Yahell!!
                              > Ted, sorry to keep bring this up. I've gotten
                              > returned mail from both the militarybooks addy
                              > and your yahoo. Must be my day in the barrel,...again!
                              > Anyhow, would you, or someone, please send the pdf to
                              > mobile_96@...
                              > I'm headed to Fort Donaldson/Shiloh/Corinth starting
                              > June 11 as premuster to Spring Hill/Franklin/Columbia
                              > starting the 14th, and will finish the Book, before
                              > leaving.
                              > Thank you! (again)
                              > mobile_96 aka Chuck Tinder
                              > http://mobile96.com

                            • mobile ninetysix
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                                File received and saved.
                                And thanks a heap!
                                Your yahell email might not be activated, or is
                                deactivated from non-use, hence the refused delivery.
                                As for the other site having a no delivery, can only
                                say....it was sent from Yahell!
                                Chuck Tinder

                                Never miss an email again!
                              • Carl Williams
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2007
                                  the oddest thing about yahoo seems to be that they are convinced all
                                  of their clients are 8-12 yrs old or so, from what I can tell