RE: [civilwarwest] Gunshots they claim killed Bill Anderson.

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 28, 2007

      Jay,

      Thanks for the fascinating accounts. Is there one that you agree with? If so why? If not, why not?

      I don’t know as much about Anderson and Missouri as I do other areas of the war. I found your information very interesting and informative.

      Tom

      From: http://www.history. com/tdih. do?action= tdihArticleYear& id=2366

      "...Anderson went to Texas that winter, got married, and returned to
      Missouri in 1864 with a band of about 50 fighters. Anderson embarked
      on a summer of violence, leading his group on a campaign that killed
      hundreds and caused extensive damage. The climax came on September 27
      when Anderson's gang joined with several others to pillage the town
      of Centralia, Missouri. When more than 100 Union soldiers pursued
      them, the guerillas ambushed and massacred the entire detachment.
      Just a month later, Anderson's band was caught in a Union ambush
      outside of Albany, Missouri, and Anderson was killed by two bullets
      to his head. The body of the "blood-drenched savage," as he became
      known in the area, was placed on public display. Anderson kept a rope
      to record his killings, and there were 54 knots in it at the time of
      his death..."

      ***

      From:
      http://www.bullshid o.net/modules. php?
      name=Reviews& file=viewarticle &id=291

      Adult language is used on that site.

      "...After completely decimating the town, he moved his men to the
      south of town and set up an ambush for 150 Union Calvary men moving
      in after him. They killed 116 of them. They shot them through the
      head, then scalped them and thrust them with bayonets. They even
      chopped of ears and noses.

      On October 27th 1864, Anderson was ambushed by Captain S.P.Cox and
      his Union troops. He and one other man charged the line guns blazing.
      His horse was shot and he bit the dust, he was then shot in the back
      of the head 2 times. His body was taken to Richmond, Missouri where
      they decapitated his corpse and stuck his head on a telegraph pole.
      His body was then dragged through the streets and dumped in an
      unmarked grave.

      Bloody Bill was passionate, angry and ruthless ~ described by Jim
      Cummins as "The most desperate man I ever met." "

      (This one seems to be saying Anderson's horse "bit the dust" and then
      Anderson was executed with two shots in the back of the head.)

      ***

      http://www.civilwar history.com/ quantrill/ anderson. htm

      "While leading his guerilla band near Orrick, Missouri on October
      27th 1864, Anderson was ambushed by Captain S.P.Cox and his Union
      troops. Anderson was caught completely unaware and was riddled with
      bullets then left for dead in his saddle. His loyal followers put up
      a fight to try and recover Anderson's corpse, but they were driven
      back by superior firepower.

      Anderson's body was taken to Richmond, Missouri where it was propped
      up in a chair and a pistol was placed in the dead man's hand then
      photographs were taken. A short while later, the Union troopers, full
      of loathing for the dead man, decapitated Anderson and impaled his
      head on a telegraph pole at the entrance to the town as a signature
      to all that the infamous killer was indeed dead. Anderson's torso was
      roped and tied to a horse then dragged along the streets of Richmond
      before being dumped in an unmarked grave outside of town."

      (This is just one of many accounts that claim that Bill Anderson's
      body was "riddled with bullets".)

      ***

      Carl W. Breihan tells the story a little different in his account
      from page 78 of his "Killer Legions of Quantrill", 1971, by saying
      the following:

      "...Anderson was the first to fall, his body caught in a crossfire
      and riddled as he toppled from the saddle..."

      ***

      If it weren't for the seriousness of this historical event, all of
      these different and contradictory accounts would be laughable. To say
      the least, EVERY writer who has made money selling books containing a
      version of this ambush story owes the American public an explanation
      for writing whatever tale he/she chose to tell in the book(s),
      regarding the way they claim Bloody Bill Anderson was killed that
      day. They should step forward and give their sources for this
      misinformation.
      Thank you,
      ~Jay~

    • Jay Longley
      Message 2 of 29 , May 5, 2007
        Hello Carl. Thank you for your interesting and correct analysis of
        the importance of properly noting the way that this guerrilla, who
        they claimed was Bloody Bill Anderson, was killed. History clearly
        shows that Bill Anderson was the most hunted guerrilla leader,
        probably even the most hunted person, in Missouri at the time. The
        Official Records are full of desperate attempts to stop him. Add to
        this the fact that the Yankees mis-identified other guerrillas as
        being Bloody Bill Anderson on at least two other occasions make
        accuracy of extreme importance.
        ~Jay~

        > As for the thought that maybe people at the time did not think an
        > autopsy was important, you *should* look at Booth's autopsy. This
        was
        > conducted on the monitor Montauk and every effort was made to show
        the
        > public the body was clearly Booth's [see link below]. This means my
        > memory was wrong about Booth's autopsy, but I've delved a little
        > deeper and it seems that maybe some controversy was stirred up over
        > Mudd's identifying a different limb as broken? [can't seem to get
        this
        > straight using the internet].
        > In any case, people at the time would have known identifying
        Anderson
        > properly was important. It is a fact that the law in general by this
        > time placed great value on such proper identification, it having
        such
        > impact on murder charges, life insurance claims, etc. Of course one
        > would suspect that on the Frontier, there were bigger problems doing
        > things properly.
        >
        > http://home.att.net/~rjnorton/Lincoln83.html
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Longley" <jay_longley@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Ken. There were a few poses taken of the guerrilla killed
        that
        > > day who they claimed was Bloody Bill Anderson. We have
        thoroughly
        > > analyzed each of these photographs and the body looks like that
        of a
        > > man getting ready to go out on the town and shows no bloodstained
        > > clothes or solid evidence of either entrance or exit wounds. A
        book
        > > could be written about these photographs alone and the many
        questions
        > > they raise. I share your appreciation for accuracy in history
        and
        > > assure you that the more you look into the traditional Bloody
        Bill
        > > Anderson stories, the more inaccuracies you will discover. After
        > > year of researching and investigating Bloody Bill Anderson's
        life, I
        > > have found it is the most fascinating historical study I have
        ever
        > > taken part in.
        > > Thanks,
        > > ~Jay~
        > >

        > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
        > > >

        > > > In a message dated 4/30/2007 5:41:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > > > jay_longley@ writes:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Ken. They went to great lengths to photograph the body of
        the
        > > guerrilla
        > > > killed so there should have been at least one accurate account
        of
        > > the bullet
        > > > wounds on it. Bloody Bill Anderson was the most hunted
        guerrilla
        > > leader at the
        > > > time so it is unreasonable for me to accept their excuse that
        he
        > > was dumped in
        > > > a grave without analyzing the cause of death, the number and
        > > location of all
        > > > wounds to the body.
        > > >
        > > > If there is photographic record of the wounds, that really
        ought to
        > > point to
        > > > which account is more accurate. Oughtn't it? Interesting bit of
        > > trivia, by the
        > > > way. Like to read these things that are seemingly trivial, but
        I'm
        > > a freak
        > > > for accuracy, even if I don't much care what actually happened
        > > Bloody Bill.
        > > >
        > > > Ken
        > > >

        > > > ************************************** See what's free at
        > > http://www.aol.com

      • Jay Longley
        Message 3 of 29 , May 5, 2007
          Hi Tom. I firmly believe that our in-depth investigation has proven
          that Bloody Bill Anderson was not killed in 1864. I believe he
          escaped, as he admitted in his 1924 interviews with Henry C. Fuller,
          and settled in Brown County in central Texas. I wish to thank you
          for taking the time necessary to study this one point of the ambush
          stories. If you will email me privately, I will reply with the way
          to access our information.

          jay_longley@...

          ~Jay~

          > Jay,
          >
          > Thanks for the fascinating accounts. Is there one that you agree
          with? If so
          > why? If not, why not?
          >
          > I don't know as much about Anderson and Missouri as I do other
          areas of the
          > war. I found your information very interesting and informative.
          >
          > Tom

        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 29 , May 6, 2007
            Of your sources, only two are of any value: Col. Cox's after action report
            and the 1924 newspaper account of Col. Hackley. (I assume it is a typo - the
            town is "Mobley").

            Unless there are good footnotes that you did not supply, none of the
            secondary accounts are worth anything. The closest would be Harrison Trow.
            However, his book, _Charles W. Quantrell; a True History of His Guerrilla
            Warfare on the Missouri and Kansas Border During the Civil War of 1861-1865
            _, published in 1923, is a mishmash of rumor and legend. His recounting of
            Anderson's death reads like a movie and does not conform to either Cox's
            after action report, or other contemporary accounts. And as near as I can
            determine, he was not with Anderson in Ray County - indeed I could not
            determine if he was even with Quantrell during Price's Raid.

            You missed some other OR references to Anderson's demise. Samuel P. Cox was
            major of the First Battalion, Missouri State Militia from April 1862 until
            his resignation in January 1864. James Craig, commander of the "Enrolled
            Missouri Militia" (it requires a score card to keep track of all the
            different versions of troops, both Yankee and Rebel in Missouri!), asked Cox
            to serve without pay or commission, and get Anderson. Cox did.

            According to Craig, Cox secured from Anderson's body his pocket note book,
            containing letters from his wife, two orders to Anderson from Price, and a
            locket of his wife's hair. The body was identified by several residents
            while it was lying at the Richmond Court House. (Craig to Rosecrans's
            adjutant general, 30 October 1864, 86 OR 334). In addition, a report on the
            fight mentions a Confederate flag with an inscription from a female admirer,
            "Presented to W. L. (sic) Anderson by his friend, F.M.R. Let it not be
            contaminated by Fed. Hands." (See Castel, _Bloody Bill Anderson: The Short
            Savage Life of a Civil War Guerrilla _, 126)

            Your contention about the wounds received is a non-story. Hackley is
            recalling something which happened sixty-one years before and one would
            expect his details to be sketchy. You will note that his mother, a cousin,
            identified the body as Anderson's. By the way, the photographer was Dr.
            Robert Kice, a dentist in Richmond who had a sideline taking pictures. Not
            Tice. Obviously the man who was photographed did not get shot though the
            head from rear to front. The contemporary reports say twice in the side of
            the head, which is consistent with Anderson riding into Cox's lines, not in
            the back, unless it was "friendly fire"!

            The finest historians on the Civil War in Missouri are Albert Castel, who
            had published several well researched books on what William Freehling calls
            "the world class guerilla war" in the state; Thomas Goodrich, especially his
            _Black Flag: Guerrilla Warfare on the Western Border, 1861-1865 _; and
            Michael Fellman, _ Inside War: The Guerrilla Conflict in Missouri During the
            American Civil War _. They are in agreement that it was Anderson who was
            killed near Albany, Mo., in October, 1864. The body was not mutilated,
            except for the ring finger being cut off - which can be seen in the photos.
            Anderson was buried in an unmarked grave, after which some of the militia
            urinated on it.

            BTW, did you write the biography in Wikipedia?

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

            And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in the name
            of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood and create
            a race that can understand." - George Bernard Shaw, "Caesar and Cleopatra"
          • Jay Longley
            Message 5 of 29 , May 6, 2007
              Hi Bob. As I stated in my post, I located more than a dozen such
              contradictions as to the number and location of the bullet wounds.
              My original message dealt only with this specific part, the gunshots,
              of the traditionalist stories about the ambush and its aftermath. I
              have read most of the books you mention and the researchers helping
              me have gone over all of these other points fully and thoroughly and
              are still actively working on them. Since my time is very limited,
              by my investigation into Bloody Bill Anderson, I am of course unable
              to present every detail of our findings on other boards but I assure
              you we have conducted the most thorough investigation into the life
              and death of Bloody Bill Anderson that has ever been conducted and we
              are far from finished.
              Thank you,
              ~Jay~

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
              <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > killed near Albany, Mo., in October, 1864. The body was not
              mutilated,
              > except for the ring finger being cut off - which can be seen in the
              photos.
              > Anderson was buried in an unmarked grave, after which some of the
              militia
              > urinated on it.
              >
              > BTW, did you write the biography in Wikipedia?
              >
              > Take care,
              >
              > Bob
              >
              > Judy and Bob Huddleston
              > 10643 Sperry Street
              > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
              > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
              >
              > And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in
              the name
              > of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood
              and create
              > a race that can understand." - George Bernard Shaw, "Caesar and

            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 29 , May 7, 2007
                FWIW, as an example, there are many contradictions, subtle nuances
                and inaccuracies to the eyewitness accounts and later recollections
                of the wounding of Stonewall Jackson.

                HankC

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > except for the ring finger being cut off - which can be seen in
                the
                > photos.
                > > Anderson was buried in an unmarked grave, after which some of the
                > militia
                > > urinated on it.
                > >
                > > BTW, did you write the biography in Wikipedia?
                > >
                > > Take care,
                > >
                > > Bob
                > >
                > > Judy and Bob Huddleston
                > > 10643 Sperry Street
                > > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                > > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@
                > >
                > > And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always
                in
                > the name
                > > of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood
                > and create
                > > a race that can understand." - George Bernard Shaw, "Caesar and

              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 29 , May 8, 2007
                  Jay, I note you say "we" quite a bit, and indeed, at least some of
                  what has been stated here is echoed at Wikipedia [no doubt Huddleston
                  noticed this]. There is a scolding banner at Wikipedia that heads the
                  section "Anderson's death" which seems to be suggesting some writers
                  dial up the quality of the submissions. The words "Please improve it"
                  in that banner would have me concerned if I was involved.

                  The words "One of the most disturbing aspects about the way the Bloody
                  Bill Anderson story has been presented" definitely sound a bit
                  familiar. I suspect, for instance, the ombudsmen-types [whatever they
                  are called] that police at Wikipedia have noted that the facts are
                  presented in the first person for an article that is anonymous. Just
                  some signs that things are not up to snuff. Is this written by thee or
                  thine indeed?

                  I might have to sign up at Wikipedia, something that I have avoided up
                  till now.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Bill

                  Carl

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Bob. As I stated in my post, I located more than a dozen such
                  > contradictions as to the number and location of the bullet wounds.
                  > My original message dealt only with this specific part, the gunshots,
                  > of the traditionalist stories about the ambush and its aftermath. I
                  > have read most of the books you mention and the researchers helping
                  > me have gone over all of these other points fully and thoroughly and
                  > are still actively working on them. Since my time is very limited,
                  > by my investigation into Bloody Bill Anderson, I am of course unable
                  > to present every detail of our findings on other boards but I assure
                  > you we have conducted the most thorough investigation into the life
                  > and death of Bloody Bill Anderson that has ever been conducted and we
                  > are far from finished.
                  > Thank you,
                  > ~Jay~
                • Jay Longley
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                    I did post the facts on Wikipedia about the gunshot theories, with
                    all of my sources, and also corrected some blatant errors in other
                    parts of the article like where the previous "editor" had incorrectly
                    stated that Bloody Bill Anderson married Bush Smith in 1862. Anyone
                    who knows anything about Bill Anderson knows he married Bush Smith
                    during the winter of 1863/1864 although there is a little dispute
                    about the exact day of the marriage. If the "police at Wikipedia",
                    as you laughably refer to them, are concerned with any part of my
                    message then they can easily remove it or edit out the portions which
                    are mostly direct quotes attributed to the specific authors. Since
                    I don't know if the staff was directing their criticism of my
                    information or previous ones who recently filled the page with
                    inaccuracies, I am not "concerned" in the least.
                    By "we", I am referring to the other 75 or so people who are
                    participating in our investigation as well as to the family members
                    of Colonel William C. Anderson. Despite how you and our other
                    critics want to portray our investigation, it is not a "one-man
                    crusade" but rather a concerted effort to learn and share the truth
                    about Bloody Bill Anderson.
                    Thank you for your "concern".
                    ~Jay~

                    > Jay, I note you say "we" quite a bit, and indeed, at least some of
                    > what has been stated here is echoed at Wikipedia [no doubt
                    Huddleston
                    > noticed this]. There is a scolding banner at Wikipedia that heads
                    the
                    > section "Anderson's death" which seems to be suggesting some writers
                    > dial up the quality of the submissions. The words "Please improve
                    it"
                    > in that banner would have me concerned if I was involved.
                    >
                    > The words "One of the most disturbing aspects about the way the
                    Bloody
                    > Bill Anderson story has been presented" definitely sound a bit
                    > familiar. I suspect, for instance, the ombudsmen-types [whatever
                    they
                    > are called] that police at Wikipedia have noted that the facts are
                    > presented in the first person for an article that is anonymous. Just
                    > some signs that things are not up to snuff. Is this written by thee
                    or
                    > thine indeed?
                    >
                    > I might have to sign up at Wikipedia, something that I have avoided
                    up
                    > till now.
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Bill
                    >
                    > Carl
                    >

                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Longley" <jay_longley@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Bob. As I stated in my post, I located more than a dozen such
                    > > contradictions as to the number and location of the bullet
                    wounds.
                    > > My original message dealt only with this specific part, the
                    gunshots,
                    > > of the traditionalist stories about the ambush and its
                    aftermath. I
                    > > have read most of the books you mention and the researchers
                    helping
                    > > me have gone over all of these other points fully and thoroughly
                    and
                    > > are still actively working on them. Since my time is very
                    limited,
                    > > by my investigation into Bloody Bill Anderson, I am of course
                    unable
                    > > to present every detail of our findings on other boards but I
                    assure
                    > > you we have conducted the most thorough investigation into the
                    life
                    > > and death of Bloody Bill Anderson that has ever been conducted
                    and we
                    > > are far from finished.
                    > > Thank you,
                    > > ~Jay~

                  • Carl Williams
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 9, 2007
                      I was making some effort not to make any criticism 'not personal' and
                      apologize if it came off that way. But if I were you, I would get
                      ready for slings and arrows... chinks in your armor, well, they might
                      as well point be pointed out. That doesnt mean you can't be right.

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > wounds.
                      > > > My original message dealt only with this specific part, the
                      > gunshots,
                      > > > of the traditionalist stories about the ambush and its
                      > aftermath. I
                      > > > have read most of the books you mention and the researchers
                      > helping
                      > > > me have gone over all of these other points fully and thoroughly
                      > and
                      > > > are still actively working on them. Since my time is very
                      > limited,
                      > > > by my investigation into Bloody Bill Anderson, I am of course
                      > unable
                      > > > to present every detail of our findings on other boards but I
                      > assure
                      > > > you we have conducted the most thorough investigation into the
                      > life
                      > > > and death of Bloody Bill Anderson that has ever been conducted

                    • Jay Longley
                      Message 10 of 29 , May 12, 2007
                        Hi Carl. Thank you for explaining this to me. Your suggestion to
                        watch out for "slings and arrouws" is well taken. During this past
                        year, I have indeed been the receiver of more slander and liable that
                        I ever would have thought possible for simply stating the results of
                        our work to the public. I sincerely apologize to you, Carl, for
                        being defensive in regard to your message. It has become a habit, I
                        am afraid after receiving countless personal attacks, for me to be on
                        pins and needles waiting for the next knife blade to sink in. :)
                        Thanks again,
                        ~Jay~

> [...]
                        improve
                        > > it"
                        > > > in that banner would have me concerned if I was involved.
                        > > >
                        > > > The words "One of the most disturbing aspects about the way the
                        > > Bloody
                        > > > Bill Anderson story has been presented" definitely sound a bit
                        > > > familiar. I suspect, for instance, the ombudsmen-types
                        [whatever
                        > > they
                        > > > are called] that police at Wikipedia have noted that the facts
                        are
                        > > > presented in the first person for an article that is anonymous.
                        Just
                        > > > some signs that things are not up to snuff. Is this written by
                        thee
                        > > or
                        > > > thine indeed?
                        > > >
                        > > > I might have to sign up at Wikipedia, something that I have

                      • Carl Williams
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 25, 2007
                          just thought I'd put this out there for anyone interested, an article
                          about someone debunking a Booth conspiracy theory

                          note that after seven days the article is not available without a
                          subscription [but good at the moment]

                          http://tinyurl.com/34st2w