Re: [civilwarwest] Different O.R.s..???

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2007
                     Hi Mike...
                            Yes... They are a little taxed... Going anywhere from $35- $48... But by the size of the volumes, 600-800 pgs... I hope they're worth it!  From what I've read about them on ebay, so far they sound great..  Just having hard time locating "Vol. 1"... Lots of Vol. 3s..??
            Anywhose... Thanks for the input!
                Capt. McCracken........

      NPeters102@... wrote:
      In a message dated 5/4/2007 10:57:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tristan4th@yahoo. com writes:
               Thankyou very much!  I will definately begin my search for it... Just so happens the "Apache Wars" are of my main interests!
      Capt. McCracken:

      "Eyewitnesses to the Indian Wars, 1865—1890. Volume One: The Struggle for Apacheria," is the first part of a 5-volume series undertaken by Cozzens. And, unless you're lucky, it is QUITE expensive.

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@aol. com

      See what's free at AOL.com.

    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2007
        In a message dated 5/4/2007 9:57:13 AM Central Daylight Time, tristan4th@... writes:
        Thankyou very much!  I will definately begin my search for it... Just so happens the "Apache Wars" are of my main interests!
                  Thanks again...
                    Capt. McCracken.........
        Just checked abebooks.com. Seems volumes 1, 2, 3, and 5 are around. Also check hamiltonbooks. Didn't get around to ordering from them when their paper came around, and I haven't seen any lately.

        Sounds like they're popular. Don't wait too long.
        Ken

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2007
          The ORs are unique to the American Civil War -- no other war in history has published anything comparable. The Cozzen compilations mentioned do not begin to compare. If you have not read it, I would highly recommend Aimone, _A User Guide to the Official Records...._ It is included in the Guild Press version but is worth purchasing in a letter press edition.

          The famous "Green Books" published by the Army after World War II were envisioned by Army  Chief of Staff Eisenhower to be the 20th Century version of the OR, with the realization that the volume of material created during World War II would be too great to allow a WW II OR.

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
          303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

          And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in the name of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood and create a race that can understand.” – George Bernard Shaw, “Caesar and Cleopatra”