Re: Battle of Iuka

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
      wrote:

      > I think the communication connection was not as good as you
      > indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
      > long and the message did not get through.

      I think Cozzen's covers this problem in his book on these battles.
      ISTM they got lost along the way too.

      James
    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@...>
        wrote:

        > If you are Rosecrans, and you know Ord is waiting to hear your guns
        > before he begins his assault, wouldn't it make sense to unlimber a
        > battery or two and start firing, even if you really had nothing to
        > shoot at? Doesn't that make a lot more sense as "communications"
        than
        > sending riders back around the 3 hour minimum loop? Now I'm
        certainly
        > not stating that I know of some precedence for this, in fact I don't,
        > but my question would be, why not?

        My understanding is that Rosecrans thought the sound of his guns was
        going to be heard. This is one of those sound problems that pop up
        from time to time. Neither side is fully to blame and neither is free
        of guilt. However, Rosecrans was responsible to keep Grant informed
        and should have done more to make sure his message was received.

        James