Re: Battle of Iuka

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
      wrote:

      > I think the communication connection was not as good as you
      > indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
      > long and the message did not get through.

      I think Cozzen's covers this problem in his book on these battles.
      ISTM they got lost along the way too.

      James
    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@...>
        wrote:

        > If you are Rosecrans, and you know Ord is waiting to hear your guns
        > before he begins his assault, wouldn't it make sense to unlimber a
        > battery or two and start firing, even if you really had nothing to
        > shoot at? Doesn't that make a lot more sense as "communications"
        than
        > sending riders back around the 3 hour minimum loop? Now I'm
        certainly
        > not stating that I know of some precedence for this, in fact I don't,
        > but my question would be, why not?

        My understanding is that Rosecrans thought the sound of his guns was
        going to be heard. This is one of those sound problems that pop up
        from time to time. Neither side is fully to blame and neither is free
        of guilt. However, Rosecrans was responsible to keep Grant informed
        and should have done more to make sure his message was received.

        James
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin & Judy Coy"
          <thecoys1976@...> wrote:

          > Tony,
          > I think I agree with everything you have written. :)
          > Rosecrans told them of the delay. Told them of the
          > problems he was having. ISTM that if Grant and Ord
          > were expecting a battle...and one had not started, a
          > scouting party could have been dispatched to find out
          > why. Hell, for all Grant and Ord knew, Rosecrans
          > could have been completely surrounded and had to
          > surrender. You would think they would be a little
          > curious about what was happening and not wait until
          > after the battle and ....
          >
          > Oh never mind, so many aphids in my rose garden. LOL

          Grant did send out two staffers to ride to Rosecrans and see what was
          going on. They also tried to make the return trip across country and
          got so lost that they didn't show up until the next morning.

          :)