Battle of Iuka

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2007
      Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I think there's a more
      logical explanation for why Ord never attacked at Iuka.

      Ord was 4 miles north of Iuka, Rosecrans was 2 miles south. Ord
      reported at some point during the day (PUSG) that he heard irregular
      cannonading off to the south, but he did not seem to feel that it
      indicated a general engagement. Rosecrans reported after the battle
      that the terrain was very rough and at no point was he able to bring
      his artillery to bear upon the enemy for any length of time.

      So Ord was waiting to hear the sounds of artillery booming in the
      distance, but the musket fire that dominated the battle did not carry
      the distance between Ord and Rosecrans.

      Why Rosecrans, who had been communicating via telegraph regularly
      with Grant up to that point, did not send a rider back to the
      telegraph line to let Grant know that the general engagement had
      begun, is a mystery to me.
    • Kevin & Judy Coy
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        Or why Grant or Ord did not send riders to ascertain why an attack was not being made, as expected, is a mystery to me.  After all, Rosecrans was pitched into battle, whereas Grant and Ord were doing who knows what while waiting for a battle.

        Kevin S. Coy

        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2007
          Yes, it has always seemed to me that that the onus of Grant's and
          Ord's inaction has been unfairly shifted to Rosecrans.

          Bill bruner

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin & Judy Coy"
          <thecoys1976@...> wrote:

          > Or why Grant or Ord did not send riders to ascertain why an attack
          was not being made, as expected, is a mystery to me. After all,
          Rosecrans was pitched into battle, whereas Grant and Ord were doing
          who knows what while waiting for a battle.

          > Kevin S. Coy

        • bjer50010
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2007
            <thecoys1976@...> wrote:

            > Or why Grant or Ord did not send riders to ascertain why an attack was
            not being made, as expected, is a mystery to me. After all, Rosecrans
            was pitched into battle, whereas Grant and Ord were doing who knows what
            while waiting for a battle.

            > Kevin S. Coy

            Kevin,

            I think you make a valid point. Grant and Ord certainly could have done
            more to find out what was happening and probably deserve more criticism
            than they are given. But consider the cases below, in both of which a
            major battle was raging, with assistance within marching distance, and
            in neither case did the commander away from the scene make a serious
            effort to find out what was happening.

            The same question that you raised can also be asked about Lew Wallace at
            Shiloh, a question which I have raised in the past and not gotten a
            satisfactory answer for. Grant's critics love to blame Grant for the
            delays by Wallace but ISTM that Wallace never made an effort to contact
            Grant throughout the day. All message traffic went from Grant to
            Wallace none from Wallace to Grant. Yet there are posters here and
            elsewhere who do not cut Grant the same slack that you do for Rosecrans
            above.

            The same point can also be made about Buell at Perryville with regards
            to McCook. McCook has been criticised for not sending to Buell earlier
            for help and for not informing him earlier that there was a major attack
            going on. But ISTM that Buell could and should have sent someone to
            find out what was happening. This case is especially appropriate to the
            discussion of Iuka because in both instances one of the major problems
            was the role of acoustic shadow in muting the sounds of the battle. Was
            McCook unfairly criticised? After all he was in the middle of a major
            fight. Does that excuse his NOT sending a messenger to Buell earlier
            than he did? Does the onus not fall on Buell as you state it should
            fall on Grant? And what fault rests with the right wing of the army for
            not determining what was going on?

            ISTM that the question under investigation tends to be answered along
            partisan lines, ie. if you suuport Grant the blame falls on Rosecrans.
            Similarly in the above cases Grant gets criticised relentlessly by his
            critics for his dealings with Wallace and McCook gets the majority of
            the blame at Perryville. In both of the latter cases, these were the
            commanders who were involved in the fighting, yet they get blamed.

            Just some points to ponder.

            J Barry Jewell

          • James W. Durney
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2007
              Why is Grant always responsible to find out what is going on? Why
              isn't General So-n-so responsible to report to his Commanding Officer?

              James
            • William H Keene
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2007

                > Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I think there's a more
                > logical explanation for why Ord never attacked at Iuka.

                I thought that the explanation you give is the same as the
                explanation I have heard it the past.

                > Ord was 4 miles north of Iuka, Rosecrans was 2 miles south. Ord
                > reported at some point during the day (PUSG) that he heard irregular
                > cannonading off to the south, but he did not seem to feel that it
                > indicated a general engagement. Rosecrans reported after the battle
                > that the terrain was very rough and at no point was he able to bring
                > his artillery to bear upon the enemy for any length of time.
                >
                > So Ord was waiting to hear the sounds of artillery booming in the
                > distance, but the musket fire that dominated the battle did not
                carry
                > the distance between Ord and Rosecrans.
                >
                > Why Rosecrans, who had been communicating via telegraph regularly
                > with Grant up to that point, did not send a rider back to the
                > telegraph line to let Grant know that the general engagement had
                > begun, is a mystery to me.

                I think the communication connection was not as good as you
                indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
                long and the message did not get through.
              • Tony Gunter
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                  <thecoys1976@...> wrote:

                  > Or why Grant or Ord did not send riders to ascertain why an attack
                  was not being made, as expected, is a mystery to me. After all,
                  Rosecrans was pitched into battle, whereas Grant and Ord were doing
                  who knows what while waiting for a battle.

                  > Kevin S. Coy

                  Rosecrans telegraphed Grant on Sept. 18th to let him know that he
                  hadn't made it as far as he wanted because his scouts had gotten
                  lost. He was still 20 miles from Iuka, and the plan was to wake up a
                  4:30 a.m. and reach Iuka by 1 or 2 p.m.

                  Clearly, that plan was shaky ... it would be difficult to move a
                  force half that size 20 miles in 9.5 hours.

                  The original plan called for Ord to attack Price, and Rosecrans to
                  sweep in on Price's flank. Grant informed Ord based on this
                  telegraph that he should wait to hear the sounds of battle before
                  moving.

                  Rosecrans again telegraphed Grant on Sept. 19th at 6:00 a.m. to let
                  him know he had moved two miles (!), but that he still planned to be
                  at Iuka by 2 p.m. (18 miles in 8 hours). The telegraph was received
                  at 9:00 a.m., so it was a three hour ordeal to get a telegraph to
                  Grant.

                  Rosecrans once again telegraphed Grant at 12:40 p.m. (IIRC) to let
                  him know that he had hit the pickets and was sending out cavalry and
                  infantry to the east to block Price's escape. No mention was made
                  concerning how much of his force was up or when he might be ready for
                  the attack. Given the 3 hour turn-around time, Grant would have
                  received this message at 4:00 p.m. (!)

                  Rosecrans had informed Grant that the ground to the south of Iuka
                  would be completely open, while the ground over which Ord would
                  attack would be very wooded. Given this intel, there's no reason
                  Grant had to suspect that the general engagement wouldn't involve a
                  great deal of cannon fire. However, Rosecran's final telegraph to
                  Grant, sent at 10:30 p.m. (!), indicated that the Rosecrans' fight
                  had been over very difficult terrain and that he had no opportunity
                  to bring his cannons to bear.

                  The plan for the attack was Rosecrans', the bulk of the attacking
                  force was under the command of Rosecrans, the problem with the
                  timetable was due to Rosecrans, Rosecrans was communicating to Grant
                  throughout the day (except, or course, for the duration of the actual
                  battle), and Grant had no reason to suspect that Ord would not hear
                  continuous cannonading throughout the engagement.

                  There's an undated message from Ord to Grant in PUSG in which Ord
                  indicates that he could hear irregular cannonading off to the south.
                  It makes much more sense to me that Ord simply couldn't hear the
                  musketry of the engagement (six to eight miles over heavily wooded
                  terrain), and was waiting to hear regular cannonading than the silly
                  sounding "acoustic shadow." Yeah, there was an accoustic shadow ...
                  it's called eight miles of thick woods.
                • theme_music
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                    If you are Rosecrans, and you know Ord is waiting to hear your guns
                    before he begins his assault, wouldn't it make sense to unlimber a
                    battery or two and start firing, even if you really had nothing to
                    shoot at? Doesn't that make a lot more sense as "communications" than
                    sending riders back around the 3 hour minimum loop? Now I'm certainly
                    not stating that I know of some precedence for this, in fact I don't,
                    but my question would be, why not?

                    Eric
                  • Tony Gunter
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2007

                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin & Judy Coy"
                      > <thecoys1976@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Or why Grant or Ord did not send riders to ascertain why an
                      attack
                      > was not being made, as expected, is a mystery to me. After all,
                      > Rosecrans was pitched into battle, whereas Grant and Ord were doing
                      > who knows what while waiting for a battle.
                      > >
                      > > Kevin S. Coy
                      >

                      > Rosecrans telegraphed Grant on Sept. 18th to let him know that he
                      > hadn't made it as far as he wanted because his scouts had gotten
                      > lost. He was still 20 miles from Iuka, and the plan was to wake up
                      > 4:30 a.m. and reach Iuka by 1 or 2 p.m.
                      >
                      > Clearly, that plan was shaky ... it would be difficult to move a
                      > force half that size 20 miles in 9.5 hours.
                      >
                      > The original plan called for Ord to attack Price, and Rosecrans to
                      > sweep in on Price's flank. Grant informed Ord based on this
                      > telegraph that he should wait to hear the sounds of battle before
                      > moving.
                      >
                      > Rosecrans again telegraphed Grant on Sept. 19th at 6:00 a.m. to let
                      > him know he had moved two miles (!), but that he still planned to
                      be
                      > at Iuka by 2 p.m. (18 miles in 8 hours). The telegraph was
                      received
                      > at 9:00 a.m., so it was a three hour ordeal to get a telegraph to
                      > Grant.
                      >
                      > Rosecrans once again telegraphed Grant at 12:40 p.m. (IIRC) to let
                      > him know that he had hit the pickets and was sending out cavalry
                      and
                      > infantry to the east to block Price's escape. No mention was made
                      > concerning how much of his force was up or when he might be ready
                      for
                      > the attack. Given the 3 hour turn-around time, Grant would have
                      > received this message at 4:00 p.m. (!)

                      Actually, I see this message in the O.R., and it does say that one
                      division has moved forward skirmishing with pickets for one mile, and
                      the at head of the second division had arrived. It doesn't
                      necessarily say how long it will take Rosecrans to deploy for the
                      attack, and the message was sent by courier, not by telegraph. The
                      courier apparently didn't reach Grant until late that night, however,
                      after the engagement had ended.
                    • Tony Gunter
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I think there's a more
                        > > logical explanation for why Ord never attacked at Iuka.
                        >
                        > I thought that the explanation you give is the same as the
                        > explanation I have heard it the past.

                        I've never heard this explained without invoking the "acoustic
                        shadow," which sounds like so much magic to me. I don't think
                        sporadic heavy musketry could be heard through thick woods at eight
                        miles.

                        > I think the communication connection was not as good as you
                        > indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
                        > long and the message did not get through.

                        From going back to the O.R., it appears that the 12:40 p.m. message
                        took ~10 hours to reach Grant through the woods. I think if
                        Rosecrans had sent it back to the telegraph line, it would have
                        gotten there in less than half that time. But that's hindsight.
                      • James W. Durney
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                          wrote:

                          > I think the communication connection was not as good as you
                          > indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
                          > long and the message did not get through.

                          I think Cozzen's covers this problem in his book on these battles.
                          ISTM they got lost along the way too.

                          James
                        • James W. Durney
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@...>
                            wrote:

                            > If you are Rosecrans, and you know Ord is waiting to hear your guns
                            > before he begins his assault, wouldn't it make sense to unlimber a
                            > battery or two and start firing, even if you really had nothing to
                            > shoot at? Doesn't that make a lot more sense as "communications"
                            than
                            > sending riders back around the 3 hour minimum loop? Now I'm
                            certainly
                            > not stating that I know of some precedence for this, in fact I don't,
                            > but my question would be, why not?

                            My understanding is that Rosecrans thought the sound of his guns was
                            going to be heard. This is one of those sound problems that pop up
                            from time to time. Neither side is fully to blame and neither is free
                            of guilt. However, Rosecrans was responsible to keep Grant informed
                            and should have done more to make sure his message was received.

                            James
                          • Kevin & Judy Coy
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                              Tony,
                              I think I agree with everything you have written. :)  Rosecrans told them of the delay.  Told them of the problems he was having.  ISTM that if Grant and Ord were expecting a battle...and one had not started, a scouting party could have been dispatched to find out why.  Hell, for all Grant and Ord knew, Rosecrans could have been completely surrounded and had to surrender.  You would think they would be a little curious about what was happening and not wait until after the battle and ....

                              Oh never mind, so many aphids in my rose garden. LOL

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 2, 2007
                                <thecoys1976@...> wrote:

                                > Tony,
                                > I think I agree with everything you have written. :)
                                > Rosecrans told them of the delay. Told them of the
                                > problems he was having. ISTM that if Grant and Ord
                                > were expecting a battle...and one had not started, a
                                > scouting party could have been dispatched to find out
                                > why. Hell, for all Grant and Ord knew, Rosecrans
                                > could have been completely surrounded and had to
                                > surrender. You would think they would be a little
                                > curious about what was happening and not wait until
                                > after the battle and ....
                                >
                                > Oh never mind, so many aphids in my rose garden. LOL

                                Grant did send out two staffers to ride to Rosecrans and see what was
                                going on. They also tried to make the return trip across country and
                                got so lost that they didn't show up until the next morning.

                                :)