Re: Confederate Cavalry at Battle of Raymond (redux)

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2007

      > The regimental history of the 20th Mississippi Infantry, which had
      been
      > mounted in response to Grierson's Raid, reports that six companies
      > (around 450 men) of the 20th Mississippi participated in the
      skirmish
      > at Dillon's on the morning of May 12th and then reported to Gregg
      at
      > Raymond in time to participate in the movement to Mississippi
      Springs.

      > So Gregg had the following cavalry fighting his rearguard on May
      12th:

      > 40 men of Mississippi State Cavalry
      > 800 men of Wirt Adams
      > 450 men of 20th Mississippi Mounted Infantry
      > 300 men of the 3rd Kentucky Mounted Infantry
      > ~1600 men in three regiments (approx. a brigade)

      I would like to point out to the readers that McPherson is ridiculed
      for reporting to Grant that he had faced 5000-6000 men and two
      batteries during the day, but that when these 1600 cavalry, Gregg's
      reported 3000 infantry, and the 1000 men under WHT Walker (and a
      battery from Jackson), are combined we get:

      1600 Wirt Adams
      3000 Gregg
      1000 WHT Walker
      ====================
      5600 men + two batteries
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
        I think you are assuming too many men for the detachement of Wirt
        Adams brigade that was with Gregg. My understanding is that it was
        <100. Otherwise, I think you have a good point.

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > The regimental history of the 20th Mississippi Infantry, which
        had
        > been
        > > mounted in response to Grierson's Raid, reports that six
        companies
        > > (around 450 men) of the 20th Mississippi participated in the
        > skirmish
        > > at Dillon's on the morning of May 12th and then reported to Gregg
        > at
        > > Raymond in time to participate in the movement to Mississippi
        > Springs.
        > >
        > > So Gregg had the following cavalry fighting his rearguard on May
        > 12th:
        > >
        > > 40 men of Mississippi State Cavalry
        > > 800 men of Wirt Adams
        > > 450 men of 20th Mississippi Mounted Infantry
        > > 300 men of the 3rd Kentucky Mounted Infantry
        > > ~1600 men in three regiments (approx. a brigade)
        >
        > I would like to point out to the readers that McPherson is
        ridiculed
        > for reporting to Grant that he had faced 5000-6000 men and two
        > batteries during the day, but that when these 1600 cavalry, Gregg's
        > reported 3000 infantry, and the 1000 men under WHT Walker (and a
        > battery from Jackson), are combined we get:
        >
        > 1600 Wirt Adams
        > 3000 Gregg
        > 1000 WHT Walker
        > ====================
        > 5600 men + two batteries

      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
          wrote:

          > I think you are assuming too many men for the detachement of Wirt
          > Adams brigade that was with Gregg. My understanding is that it was
          > <100. Otherwise, I think you have a good point.

          That was the squadron that originally reported to Gregg after midnight
          on the morning of May 12th. The remainder of Wirt Adams' cavalry
          skirmished with Sherman's men at Fourteen Mile Creek near Dillon's, but
          was ordered to move to Raymond.

          "After checking a column of the enemy yesterday [May 12], for
          four miles at Dillon's, I marched by General Gregg's order to Raymond
          and fell in his rear. In withdrawing, marched from Mississippi
          Springs this morning at 3 a.m. ..."
        • William H Keene
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
            Thanks Tony. Had overlooked what Wirt Adams did that day.