Confederate Cavalry at Battle of Raymond (redux)

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2007
      The regimental history of the 20th Mississippi Infantry, which had been
      mounted in response to Grierson's Raid, reports that six companies
      (around 450 men) of the 20th Mississippi participated in the skirmish
      at Dillon's on the morning of May 12th and then reported to Gregg at
      Raymond in time to participate in the movement to Mississippi Springs.

      So Gregg had the following cavalry fighting his rearguard on May 12th:

      40 men of Mississippi State Cavalry
      800 men of Wirt Adams
      450 men of 20th Mississippi Mounted Infantry
      300 men of the 3rd Kentucky Mounted Infantry
      ~1600 men in three regiments (approx. a brigade)
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2007

        > The regimental history of the 20th Mississippi Infantry, which had
        been
        > mounted in response to Grierson's Raid, reports that six companies
        > (around 450 men) of the 20th Mississippi participated in the
        skirmish
        > at Dillon's on the morning of May 12th and then reported to Gregg
        at
        > Raymond in time to participate in the movement to Mississippi
        Springs.

        > So Gregg had the following cavalry fighting his rearguard on May
        12th:

        > 40 men of Mississippi State Cavalry
        > 800 men of Wirt Adams
        > 450 men of 20th Mississippi Mounted Infantry
        > 300 men of the 3rd Kentucky Mounted Infantry
        > ~1600 men in three regiments (approx. a brigade)

        I would like to point out to the readers that McPherson is ridiculed
        for reporting to Grant that he had faced 5000-6000 men and two
        batteries during the day, but that when these 1600 cavalry, Gregg's
        reported 3000 infantry, and the 1000 men under WHT Walker (and a
        battery from Jackson), are combined we get:

        1600 Wirt Adams
        3000 Gregg
        1000 WHT Walker
        ====================
        5600 men + two batteries
      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
          I think you are assuming too many men for the detachement of Wirt
          Adams brigade that was with Gregg. My understanding is that it was
          <100. Otherwise, I think you have a good point.

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > The regimental history of the 20th Mississippi Infantry, which
          had
          > been
          > > mounted in response to Grierson's Raid, reports that six
          companies
          > > (around 450 men) of the 20th Mississippi participated in the
          > skirmish
          > > at Dillon's on the morning of May 12th and then reported to Gregg
          > at
          > > Raymond in time to participate in the movement to Mississippi
          > Springs.
          > >
          > > So Gregg had the following cavalry fighting his rearguard on May
          > 12th:
          > >
          > > 40 men of Mississippi State Cavalry
          > > 800 men of Wirt Adams
          > > 450 men of 20th Mississippi Mounted Infantry
          > > 300 men of the 3rd Kentucky Mounted Infantry
          > > ~1600 men in three regiments (approx. a brigade)
          >
          > I would like to point out to the readers that McPherson is
          ridiculed
          > for reporting to Grant that he had faced 5000-6000 men and two
          > batteries during the day, but that when these 1600 cavalry, Gregg's
          > reported 3000 infantry, and the 1000 men under WHT Walker (and a
          > battery from Jackson), are combined we get:
          >
          > 1600 Wirt Adams
          > 3000 Gregg
          > 1000 WHT Walker
          > ====================
          > 5600 men + two batteries

        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
            wrote:

            > I think you are assuming too many men for the detachement of Wirt
            > Adams brigade that was with Gregg. My understanding is that it was
            > <100. Otherwise, I think you have a good point.

            That was the squadron that originally reported to Gregg after midnight
            on the morning of May 12th. The remainder of Wirt Adams' cavalry
            skirmished with Sherman's men at Fourteen Mile Creek near Dillon's, but
            was ordered to move to Raymond.

            "After checking a column of the enemy yesterday [May 12], for
            four miles at Dillon's, I marched by General Gregg's order to Raymond
            and fell in his rear. In withdrawing, marched from Mississippi
            Springs this morning at 3 a.m. ..."
          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
              Thanks Tony. Had overlooked what Wirt Adams did that day.