Re: Shiloh, by O. Edward Cunningham, edited by Drs. Joiner and Smith

  • Theodore P. Savas
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Art Bergeron"
      <virginia_cajun@...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Theodore P. Savas"
      > <ted_savas@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hope you are well. As I said, this was a theory. I didn't know
      THW
      > > or EOC, but the person who told me this did. Knowing how these
      > > things work, it is hard to believe that if someone with the
      stature
      > > of THW had recommended "Shiloh" for publication at any time,
      > presses
      > > would have turned up their noses at the possibility. But, who
      > knows.
      > >
      > > What are you working on these days?
      >
      > Ted,
      >
      > The story, as I heard it, was that Cunningham was advised during
      his
      > dissertation defense to do some revisions before he submitted the
      > manuscript to a publisher. He left the defense and walked the
      > manuscript over to LSU Press. The press submitted it to some
      readers,
      > who recommended changes, but Cunningham refused to make those
      > changes, so the manuscript did not get published. Apparently, he
      > steadfastly refused to do any revisions throughout the remainder
      of
      > his life. I do not know what, if any, influence TWH had on the
      > decision of the press to stick by its recommendations for changes.
      >
      > Larry Hewitt and I are putting together several volumes of essays
      on
      > Confederate generals in the Western Theater. Most will be new
      pieces
      > by various authors, although there will be a few reprints. If
      these
      > volumes are successful, we hope to do at least one on Confederate
      > generals in the Trans-Mississippi Theater.
      >
      > Art

      -------------

      Hi Art

      Thanks fro that. An interesting story. I don't think we will ever
      know for sure. As I was flipping through the book at the Shiloh
      field a few weeks ago, it struck me how sad it was that someone of
      his obvious caliber did not produce more work.

      Tell Larry hi for me. We slip past one another here and there, and
      never seem to hook up (I am sure it is my fault--I get swamped and
      forgetful). Your project sounds interesting, and I recall now that
      he had told me about it a few months back. Keep me informed of its
      progress, please.

      I think it was 12 years ago that we smoked cigars and drank some
      beer together in Hammond, LA. Far too long.

      Best

      tps