Marszalek's Halleck

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2007
      I picked up this book as a resource on Halleck, expecting to find a
      favorable treatment (don't most biographers find themselves attracted
      to a historical figure in some way?).

      Generally, I turn to the sections that cover November, 1862 - June 1863
      and then read outwards from there ... so far, Marszalek has spent the
      entire text roasting Halleck over a spit. I don't remember ever
      reading a less favorable biography!

      Given that he was expending so much energy flaming Halleck, I was
      really surprised to find that he didn't cover AT ALL the frustrating
      exchange of messages (or lack thereof) between Grant and Halleck during
      Grant's move south to Oxford, and only lightly covered Halleck's
      response to the threat posed by McClernand.