Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Shiloh Book

  • Dan G
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 13, 2007
      What they did is divide the Sunken Road into two segments..  Using the 31st Indiana Monument as the center point..  Everything from this point and to the Union right all the way to the Corinth Rd on the North end of Duncan Field is referred to as the Hornet's Nest Sector.  Everything to the Union left all the way to the river is considered the Peach Orchard Sector..
      If you consider that for the most part there was no major attacks across Duncan Field  this only leaves about 1000 Ft or so of the Sunken Rd in the Hornets Nest sector..  So, manpower wise on both the CSA side there was only at most one brigade that attacked the line here at any given time..  So yes the fighting in this area did not affect the outcome of the battle..
      I attended the hikes last year as well..  Last year they made the statement that the Sunken Road line was not broken in the Hornets Nest because the CSA did not want it to happen..  The attacks were designed to simply hold the line in place at that point so that the attacks on the flanks would fold back on this point (31st Indiana monument again being the center)  like a hinge..  I agree that this is what ultimately happened but doubt it was by design...
      I tried to draw the ranger back into that discussion again this year but he would not rise to the bait..  This year they did not talk about the "hinge effect" (my term. not theirs)..  Instead they talked mostly about the Hornets Nest falling because their support on the two flanks collapsed..  Which I think is what occurred...

      This was a most interesting set of hikes this year..  They were well worth attending..
      Any more questions drop me a note
      Dan

      Ron Black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
      Dan:
      Could you clarify if you referred to the Hornet's Nest fighting or do
      you mean the fighting in the sunken road, that played no significant
      part in the battle? If you mean Hornet's Nest, then I agree. These
      are two different segments of the battle. I also agree about
      Ruggles' artillery line. I will get the book.
      Ron
      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Dan G <dan6764@... > wrote:

      > I attended the annual Shiloh Battlefield Hikes last weekend..
      There has been a significant reinterpretation of the battle since I
      started going to the park several years ago. Among these is the fact
      that the fight for the Hornet's Nest played no significant role in
      the outcome of the battle.. Another major change is that Ruggles
      Battery had little to do with the collapse of the Hornet's Nest..
      There were several others that I can mention if anyone is interested..

      > At any rate, this new interpretation in a large part came from
      this document.. This book actually started life as a doctoral thesis
      back in the 60's.. It then lay dormant until after the author's
      death a couple of years ago.. Tim Smith resurrected this work and
      published it..
      > According to the park rangers this is the most authoritative
      document on the Battle of Shiloh that is available.. The rangers
      highly recommend it if you are studying Shiloh...

      > I got my copy at the Shiloh Bookstore.. Have not had a chance to
      read it yet but hope to change that this weekend
      > Dan
      > "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@... > wrote:
      > The O. Edward Cunningham book, "Shiloh and the Western
      Campaign of
      > 1862" was in today's mail. This is a good-looking book with a 3-
      page
      > list of maps, photos of the men and a modern photographic tour of
      the
      > battlefield. Reading a couple of pages tells me this is going to be
      an
      > excellent read.
      >
      > This is another high quality book from Savas Beatie.
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • James W. Durney
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 25, 2007
        SHILOH AND THE WESTERN CAMPAIGN OF 1862 (Hardcover) By O. Edward
        Cunningham
        Gary D. Joiner & Timothy B. Smith (Editor)
        • Hardcover: 520 pages
        • Publisher: Savas Beatie
        • Language: English
        • ISBN-10: 1932714278
        • ISBN-13: 978-1932714272

        I have posted a review of this book on Amazon.

        James