Re: [civilwarwest] Shiloh Book

  • Dan G
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 13, 2007
      I attended the annual Shiloh Battlefield Hikes last weekend..  There has been a significant reinterpretation of the battle since I started going to the park several years ago.  Among these is the fact that the fight for the Hornet's Nest played no significant role in the outcome of the battle.. Another major change is that Ruggles Battery had little to do with the collapse of the Hornet's Nest.. There were several others that I can mention if anyone is interested..

      At any rate, this new interpretation in a large part came from this document..  This book actually started life as a doctoral thesis back in the 60's..  It then lay dormant until after the author's death a couple of years ago.. Tim Smith resurrected this work and published it..
      According to the park rangers this is the most authoritative document on the Battle of Shiloh that is available.. The rangers highly recommend it if you are studying Shiloh...

      I got my copy at the Shiloh Bookstore.. Have not had a chance to read it yet but hope to change that this weekend
      Dan
      "James W. Durney" <JWD2044@...> wrote:
      The O. Edward Cunningham book, "Shiloh and the Western Campaign of
      1862" was in today's mail. This is a good-looking book with a 3-page
      list of maps, photos of the men and a modern photographic tour of the
      battlefield. Reading a couple of pages tells me this is going to be an
      excellent read.

      This is another high quality book from Savas Beatie.

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • James W. Durney
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 25, 2007
        SHILOH AND THE WESTERN CAMPAIGN OF 1862 (Hardcover) By O. Edward
        Cunningham
        Gary D. Joiner & Timothy B. Smith (Editor)
        • Hardcover: 520 pages
        • Publisher: Savas Beatie
        • Language: English
        • ISBN-10: 1932714278
        • ISBN-13: 978-1932714272

        I have posted a review of this book on Amazon.

        James