Re: 20th Ohio stuff/Raymond

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@ wrote:
      > >

      > > In a message dated 3/8/2007 3:23:12 PM Central Standard Time,
      > > tony_gunter@ writes:
      > >
      > > No! Where do I get my hands on one?
      > >
      > > It's at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, in
      > Jackson. That
      > > Z number is the call number. I was doing some online work looking
      for
      > > Chickamauga related material and noted the description. I would
      get
      > in touch with the
      > > MDAH and see what they can tell you...
      >
      > Wish I still lived there, my house was 2 miles from the MDAH
      building,
      > and I worked a block down the street.

      George Modil was a man who did not have a helluva lot to say. All of
      his diary entries read like "marched 5 miles, camped." He did,
      however, keep detailed records of the weather (14 days of
      precipitation in January 1863!) and the clothes that he had been
      issued. Interestingly, he received a new pair of shoes in January
      and needed another pair in early March, I'm assuming they fell apart
      because he couldn't keep them dry.

      Another interesting thing about his record of the clothing he had
      been issued is that in July, he was issued one shirt and one blouse.

      Wha??? In civil war army terms, what's the difference between a
      shirt and a blouse?
    • DORR64OVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2007
        In a message dated 4/8/2007 11:11:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
        Wha??? In civil war army terms, what's the difference between a
        shirt and a blouse?
        Tony....a shirt is just what you think.  In this case either the standard issue Domet flannel shirt.  The blouse is actually the fatigue jacket or sack coat.  It could even be referring to the dress frock coat but more likely the common coat.

        Kent Dorr

        See what's free at AOL.com.