reference recommendations

  • jawanderer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2007
      Hi --

      I'm looking for good books on the Civil War in Northern Georgia and/or
      Chattanooga. Preferably something that will give me a good feeling for
      the location, the civilians in the area, etc. Battles/events are good,
      but I'm really looking to get a feel for what a Union soldier in
      the area in early 1864 would experience: sights, sounds, problems, the
      attitude of locals (in general), etc etc etc. I'm figuring my best bet
      is probably diaries or memoires of soldiers or civilians, but the scope
      is too large for me to tell which resources are *good* ones.

      Does anyone have any suggestions?

      thanks,
      Marian Kelly
    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2007
        In a message dated 4/8/2007 12:16:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time, wanderer@... writes:

        Hi --

        I'm looking for good books on the Civil War in Northern Georgia and/or
        Chattanooga. Preferably something that will give me a good feeling for
        the location, the civilians in the area, etc. Battles/events are good,
        but I'm really looking to get a feel for what a Union soldier in
        the area in early 1864 would experience: sights, sounds, problems, the
        attitude of locals (in general), etc etc etc. I'm figuring my best bet
        is probably diaries or memoires of soldiers or civilians, but the scope
        is too large for me to tell which resources are *good* ones.

        Does anyone have any suggestions?

        Calling Lee White...

        Marian.

        there is a letter collection in the University of Michigan from a Union officer in a newly formed USCT regiment. Now I apologize, but I don't remember the officer's name. However, I think Lee White might.

        If you get these letters, you might find exactly what you need. His letters describe the locals, the countryside, troubles with bushwackers, and the training and teaching of his Black soldiers.

        So hopefully, Lee will remember...

        Dave Powell

        See what's free at AOL.com.