Re: Chicamauga

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
      I do not see how a request for photographs would set you off?

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
      wrote:

      > --Compliments, Ya'll
      >
      > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
      who
      > lives next to each other than what went on in your
      neiborhood. "Anyone
      > on the list live near Chichimuga"??
      > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
      >
      > Good bloody luck.
      >

      > - In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
      > >
      > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
      battlefield
      > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
      due to
      > > unforseen circumstances......
      > >
      > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
      > shot
      > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
      list
      > if
      > > you can.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > > Bill

    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@...> wrote:

        > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
        >
        > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the battlefield
        > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip due to
        > unforseen circumstances......
        >
        > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
        shot
        > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off list
        if
        > you can.

        Bill,

        Chickamauga is a great trip and a fine battlefield to walk. While
        there, try to make the trip to Chattonogga (sp) and Lookout MT. You
        are not far from Ringgold, take the time to make that side trip. The
        RR station is from the war! ACW history is alive and well in that area
        and it is great fun for us.

        James
      • Steve Saultz
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
                     Neither do I Hank.... I wonder why the group must hear/read such rudeness. I thought it was a decent question myself... And thought if everybody got together, we could have a pretty darn good "photo album" of all battlefields.
                 IMHO..... Either lack of maturity...Or excess of some "libation"....
                   Take care...
                  Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                   Capt. McCracken.......

          wrote:

          > --Compliments, Ya'll
          >
          > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
          who
          > lives next to each other than what went on in your
          neiborhood. "Anyone
          > on the list live near Chichimuga"? ?
          > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
          >
          > Good bloody luck.
          >

          > - In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
          > >
          > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
          battlefield
          > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
          due to
          > > unforseen circumstances. .....
          > >
          > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
          > shot
          > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
          list
          > if
          > > you can.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Bill

        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

            I agree with Steve and Hank here.

            There was nothing wrong with the request and such requests are consistent with past such discussions in our group. I for one have received a wide variety of advice and assistance from group members here and hope for more. Also, I have been asked things specifically and have felt honored for the requests. This is one of cool things about this fine group.  If I can ever help I would be honored by the request and I think most others here feel the same way.

            When did kindness and maturity become wrong? Not here. Not now. Not ever.

            wrote:

            > --Compliments, Ya'll
            >
            > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
            who
            > lives next to each other than what went on in your
            neiborhood. "Anyone
            > on the list live near Chichimuga"? ?
            > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
            >
            > Good bloody luck.
            >

            > - In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
            > >
            > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
            battlefield
            > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
            due to
            > > unforseen circumstances. .....
            > >
            > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
            > shot
            > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
            list
            > if
            > > you can.
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > > Bill

          • Bill Godby
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
              I did reply to the guy last night off list, must have thought his email address wouldn`t show up in his message I guess. Put it this way, I was not very polite in the email I sent to him. You call me an Idiot for asking for a few simple photos of where 2 of my ancestors where killed since I am unable to make a trip down there?? Buddy, I hope you never need a favor from anyone!!!!

              If anyone would like to share any information on the 16th Alabama Infantry, 36 Virginia Infantry and the 17th Virginia Cavalry, contact me anytime. I would be more than happy to discuss them with you.

              Bill
              There was nothing wrong with the request and such requests are consistent with past such discussions in our group. I for one have received a wide variety of advice and assistance from group members here and hope for more. Also, I have been asked things specifically and have felt honored for the requests. This is one of cool things about this fine group.  If I can ever help I would be honored by the request and I think most others here feel the same way.

              When did kindness and maturity become wrong? Not here. Not now. Not ever.

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                In this group we support and help one another. We may disagree on events in the Civil War but people usually pitch in to help each other out. Ask members for assistance any time and I think, no, I know, you will get positive responses.

                wrote:

                > --Compliments, Ya'll
                >
                > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
                who
                > lives next to each other than what went on in your
                neiborhood. "Anyone
                > on the list live near Chichimuga"? ?
                > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
                >
                > Good bloody luck.
                >

                > - In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
                > >
                > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
                battlefield
                > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
                due to
                > > unforseen circumstances. .....
                > >
                > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
                > shot
                > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
                list
                > if
                > > you can.
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > > Bill

              • gnrljejohnston
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                  > In this group we support and help one another. We may disagree on
                  events in
                  > the Civil War but people usually pitch in to help each other out.
                  Ask
                  > members for assistance any time and I think, no, I know, you will
                  get
                  > positive responses.

                  Lately I have been staying in the background, but keeping up with
                  what is posted. I see no cause why anyone should be lambasted or
                  insulted for a reasonable request. As far as Chicamauga is
                  concerned, we have some fabulous experts like Dave and Sam that are
                  within this forum to help us out. If not, for photographs of Chicka,
                  may I suggest you look at Baumgartner and Strayer's Echos of Battle.
                  Although this book is heavily on the Battle of Chattanooga, it does
                  have quite a few photos of the Chicka battlefield. Then there is
                  also the book, "The Chickamaga Campaign" by Abbazzia or the "The
                  Photographic History of the Civil War...Three Volumes In One"
                  published by the Portland House, all of which have a splendid
                  photographic source of the battle.

                  There is no reason what-so-ever for anyone to lose their cool and
                  insult others within the forum. For the years that I have been a
                  member, if one seeks help, one way or another, he/she shall receive
                  help without having to put up with insults. Remember, education goes
                  on from the womb to the tomb. There is no question that is foolish,
                  only a few answers.

                  JEJ
                • gnrljejohnston
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                    > In this group we support and help one another. We may disagree on
                    events in
                    > the Civil War but people usually pitch in to help each other out.
                    Ask
                    > members for assistance any time and I think, no, I know, you will
                    get
                    > positive responses.

                    > > - In civilwarwest@ <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
                    > > >
                    > > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
                    > battlefield to trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must
                    cancel the trip due to unforseen circumstances......

                    > > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap
                    a shot or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
                    > list if you can.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you,
                    > > > Bill

                    Bill, you might contact Lee White, LWhite64 who I believe is a member
                    of this forum and is a Ranger at Chicamagua.

                    JEJ
                  • Steve Saultz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
                               Well said Tom!  And it is so true.... This is one of the best & one of my most favorite history groups! We are so lucky to have the people, historians, and writers that we have. This group never stops, and I never cease to learn from it!  In fact this is the only Civil War "group" I attend to nowadays... Quite frankly.. IMHO, I don't need another, I can always get my answers here.
                             There have been times that I've gotten perterbed, but I'm sure I've peterbed others as well.... LOL...But I just have too much respect for you guys that have been at this for 10, 20, 30 years now. One just cannot top such knowledge!  I hope that someday, I too will be so learned!
                            And yepper Tom... Ya hit the nail on the head!   We may be "gray", "blue", or "in-between"....   But like "Easy Company", we are a "band of brothers"...and sisters! (Don't want to forget the ladies...lol)
                            Much Respect To You All!
                             Capt. McCracken.........