Chicamauga

  • jrebohio
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 23, 2007
      Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?

      After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the battlefield to
      trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip due to
      unforseen circumstances......

      If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a shot
      or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off list if
      you can.

      Thank you,
      Bill
    • ecm777@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 24, 2007
        Bill,

        Chickamauga is my backyard.  I would be happy to take pictures for you. I already have some Chickamauga pictures up at http://community.webshots.com/user/ecm777   I'm not sure if I have any of the 16th AL.  I will get back out there is weekend or next and find those specific places for you.  You may email me direct at ecm777@...

        Colleen aka CWgal
        Chickamauga & Chattanooga

      • pvtjessett
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2007
          --Compliments, Ya'll

          I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about who
          lives next to each other than what went on in your neiborhood. "Anyone
          on the list live near Chichimuga"??
          Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!

          Good bloody luck.

          - In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@...> wrote:

          > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
          >
          > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the battlefield
          > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip due to
          > unforseen circumstances......
          >
          > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
          shot
          > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off list
          if
          > you can.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Bill

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
            I do not see how a request for photographs would set you off?

            HankC

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
            wrote:

            > --Compliments, Ya'll
            >
            > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
            who
            > lives next to each other than what went on in your
            neiborhood. "Anyone
            > on the list live near Chichimuga"??
            > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
            >
            > Good bloody luck.
            >

            > - In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
            > >
            > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
            battlefield
            > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
            due to
            > > unforseen circumstances......
            > >
            > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
            > shot
            > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
            list
            > if
            > > you can.
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > > Bill

          • James W. Durney
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@...> wrote:

              > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
              >
              > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the battlefield
              > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip due to
              > unforseen circumstances......
              >
              > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
              shot
              > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off list
              if
              > you can.

              Bill,

              Chickamauga is a great trip and a fine battlefield to walk. While
              there, try to make the trip to Chattonogga (sp) and Lookout MT. You
              are not far from Ringgold, take the time to make that side trip. The
              RR station is from the war! ACW history is alive and well in that area
              and it is great fun for us.

              James
            • Steve Saultz
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
                           Neither do I Hank.... I wonder why the group must hear/read such rudeness. I thought it was a decent question myself... And thought if everybody got together, we could have a pretty darn good "photo album" of all battlefields.
                       IMHO..... Either lack of maturity...Or excess of some "libation"....
                         Take care...
                        Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                         Capt. McCracken.......

                wrote:

                > --Compliments, Ya'll
                >
                > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
                who
                > lives next to each other than what went on in your
                neiborhood. "Anyone
                > on the list live near Chichimuga"? ?
                > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
                >
                > Good bloody luck.
                >

                > - In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
                > >
                > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
                battlefield
                > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
                due to
                > > unforseen circumstances. .....
                > >
                > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
                > shot
                > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
                list
                > if
                > > you can.
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > > Bill

              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                  I agree with Steve and Hank here.

                  There was nothing wrong with the request and such requests are consistent with past such discussions in our group. I for one have received a wide variety of advice and assistance from group members here and hope for more. Also, I have been asked things specifically and have felt honored for the requests. This is one of cool things about this fine group.  If I can ever help I would be honored by the request and I think most others here feel the same way.

                  When did kindness and maturity become wrong? Not here. Not now. Not ever.

                  wrote:

                  > --Compliments, Ya'll
                  >
                  > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
                  who
                  > lives next to each other than what went on in your
                  neiborhood. "Anyone
                  > on the list live near Chichimuga"? ?
                  > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
                  >
                  > Good bloody luck.
                  >

                  > - In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
                  > >
                  > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
                  battlefield
                  > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
                  due to
                  > > unforseen circumstances. .....
                  > >
                  > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
                  > shot
                  > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
                  list
                  > if
                  > > you can.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you,
                  > > Bill

                • Bill Godby
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
                    I did reply to the guy last night off list, must have thought his email address wouldn`t show up in his message I guess. Put it this way, I was not very polite in the email I sent to him. You call me an Idiot for asking for a few simple photos of where 2 of my ancestors where killed since I am unable to make a trip down there?? Buddy, I hope you never need a favor from anyone!!!!

                    If anyone would like to share any information on the 16th Alabama Infantry, 36 Virginia Infantry and the 17th Virginia Cavalry, contact me anytime. I would be more than happy to discuss them with you.

                    Bill
                    There was nothing wrong with the request and such requests are consistent with past such discussions in our group. I for one have received a wide variety of advice and assistance from group members here and hope for more. Also, I have been asked things specifically and have felt honored for the requests. This is one of cool things about this fine group.  If I can ever help I would be honored by the request and I think most others here feel the same way.

                    When did kindness and maturity become wrong? Not here. Not now. Not ever.

                    (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                  • Tom Mix
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                      In this group we support and help one another. We may disagree on events in the Civil War but people usually pitch in to help each other out. Ask members for assistance any time and I think, no, I know, you will get positive responses.

                      wrote:

                      > --Compliments, Ya'll
                      >
                      > I now know why I left this place, You People are more worried about
                      who
                      > lives next to each other than what went on in your
                      neiborhood. "Anyone
                      > on the list live near Chichimuga"? ?
                      > Thousands died there you bloody Idiot!!!!
                      >
                      > Good bloody luck.
                      >

                      > - In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
                      > >
                      > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
                      battlefield
                      > > trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must cancel the trip
                      due to
                      > > unforseen circumstances. .....
                      > >
                      > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap a
                      > shot
                      > > or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
                      list
                      > if
                      > > you can.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you,
                      > > Bill

                    • gnrljejohnston
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                        > In this group we support and help one another. We may disagree on
                        events in
                        > the Civil War but people usually pitch in to help each other out.
                        Ask
                        > members for assistance any time and I think, no, I know, you will
                        get
                        > positive responses.

                        Lately I have been staying in the background, but keeping up with
                        what is posted. I see no cause why anyone should be lambasted or
                        insulted for a reasonable request. As far as Chicamauga is
                        concerned, we have some fabulous experts like Dave and Sam that are
                        within this forum to help us out. If not, for photographs of Chicka,
                        may I suggest you look at Baumgartner and Strayer's Echos of Battle.
                        Although this book is heavily on the Battle of Chattanooga, it does
                        have quite a few photos of the Chicka battlefield. Then there is
                        also the book, "The Chickamaga Campaign" by Abbazzia or the "The
                        Photographic History of the Civil War...Three Volumes In One"
                        published by the Portland House, all of which have a splendid
                        photographic source of the battle.

                        There is no reason what-so-ever for anyone to lose their cool and
                        insult others within the forum. For the years that I have been a
                        member, if one seeks help, one way or another, he/she shall receive
                        help without having to put up with insults. Remember, education goes
                        on from the womb to the tomb. There is no question that is foolish,
                        only a few answers.

                        JEJ
                      • gnrljejohnston
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007

                          > In this group we support and help one another. We may disagree on
                          events in
                          > the Civil War but people usually pitch in to help each other out.
                          Ask
                          > members for assistance any time and I think, no, I know, you will
                          get
                          > positive responses.

                          > > - In civilwarwest@ <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > yahoogroups.com, "jrebohio" <nycstlrr@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Anyone on the list live near Chickamauga?
                          > > >
                          > > > After looking forward to a much anticipated trip to the
                          > battlefield to trace the steps of the 16th Alabama,I now must
                          cancel the trip due to unforseen circumstances......

                          > > > If anyone lives close by with a digital camera, could they snap
                          a shot or two of where the 16th fought for me?? Please contact me off
                          > list if you can.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thank you,
                          > > > Bill

                          Bill, you might contact Lee White, LWhite64 who I believe is a member
                          of this forum and is a Ranger at Chicamagua.

                          JEJ
                        • Steve Saultz
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 6, 2007
                                     Well said Tom!  And it is so true.... This is one of the best & one of my most favorite history groups! We are so lucky to have the people, historians, and writers that we have. This group never stops, and I never cease to learn from it!  In fact this is the only Civil War "group" I attend to nowadays... Quite frankly.. IMHO, I don't need another, I can always get my answers here.
                                   There have been times that I've gotten perterbed, but I'm sure I've peterbed others as well.... LOL...But I just have too much respect for you guys that have been at this for 10, 20, 30 years now. One just cannot top such knowledge!  I hope that someday, I too will be so learned!
                                  And yepper Tom... Ya hit the nail on the head!   We may be "gray", "blue", or "in-between"....   But like "Easy Company", we are a "band of brothers"...and sisters! (Don't want to forget the ladies...lol)
                                  Much Respect To You All!
                                   Capt. McCracken.........