Re: [civilwarwest] Re: ACW

  • Steve Saultz
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007
                          Hand up for here here!
                         I ran across her in another group I belong to.... Pretty neat IMHO, that folks as far away as Sweden find interest in history...
                   Capt. McCracken.........

      keeno2@... wrote:
      In a message dated 3/22/2007 10:13:50 AM Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
      considering that we have seen this particular 'offer to join' before, and the general pattern of grammar, etc, I suspect this is a form of phishing, although I'm not sure how it would work.
      "factasy.com" is a web site the young lady is putting together in Sweden. It is designed for the Swedish market, but she is quite anxious to get American afficianados on board to help create discussion. It's a bit difficult to get a good ACW website going in this country, let alone in Sweden. Give her a hand up or ignore it -- she's trying.
      Ken

    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007

        Capt.

        What is her e-mail address to join? I managed to misplace it.

        Thanks,

        Tom

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007
                             Howdy Tom!
                                Hope all is well!
                                Here ya go!
                                      Capt.......

                                     http://www.factasy.com/civil_war/index.shtml

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007
                             My apologies to Shotgun ...
                             I'm sorry Mr. Weeks... I should have asked permission first before posting her site... Didn't mean any disrespect...
                            Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                             Capt. McCracken........

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 22, 2007

              Thanks, Steve, and I’m doing well.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 23, 2007
                OK, glad to hear that, I'm a bit paranoid about phishing and you know
                bad grammar is one of the things you look for.

                I really love the number of times I'm addressed as simply "Dear" in
                all those emails from remarkably numerous new and needy millionaires
                with bad grammar ...

                > "factasy.com" is a web site the young lady is putting together in
                Sweden. It
                > is designed for the Swedish market, but she is quite anxious to get
                American
                > afficianados on board to help create discussion. It's a bit
                difficult to get a
                > good ACW website going in this country, let alone in Sweden. Give
                her a hand
                > up or ignore it -- she's trying.
                > Ken
              • Tony Gunter
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 23, 2007

                  > Umm, dave, seems to me the Vicksburg campaign fires up pretty soon,
                  > anniversary-wise? Recently we had some discussion here about the
                  > accuracy of Bearss' treatment of Battle of Raymond in particular and
                  > McPherson in general.

                  Here's a question for Dave ... when Pemberton writes Johnston, telling
                  him that the battle for Vicksburg will take place "here," is he
                  actually referring to Edwards Station, or Big Black River Bridge?
                • William H Keene
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 23, 2007
                    > Here's a question for Dave ... when Pemberton writes Johnston,
                    telling
                    > him that the battle for Vicksburg will take place "here," is he
                    > actually referring to Edwards Station, or Big Black River Bridge?

                    Tony,

                    Though you directed the question to Dave, I will give you my answer -
                    Edward's Station.
                  • Tony Gunter
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 23, 2007
                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Here's a question for Dave ... when Pemberton writes Johnston,
                      > telling
                      > > him that the battle for Vicksburg will take place "here," is he
                      > > actually referring to Edwards Station, or Big Black River Bridge?
                      >

                      > Tony,
                      >
                      > Though you directed the question to Dave, I will give you my answer -
                      > Edward's Station.

                      That's what I have always read, and I recall reading in several sources
                      of entrenchments being prepared at Edward's Station. However, Bowen
                      writes Pemberton from Bovina on May 10th:

                      "If the enemy advance in force, shall I give battle at Edwards Depot,
                      or withdraw into the intrenchments, which will probably be finished
                      this evening?"

                      Bowen here is referring to the entrenchments at the Big Black River
                      Bridge, and Pemberton tells him to withdraw into the entrenchments.
                      After Bowen has completed the fortifications, he realizes the problem
                      with defending behind the line of the Big Black River and write on May
                      11th:

                      "[our] position can be turned if the enemy pass Edwards and cross at
                      Bridgeport Ferry. My division is not sufficient to give battle at both
                      places, and while we will have 9 or 10 miles to pass from one point to
                      the other, the enemy march 3 or 4 ..."

                      Pemberton seems to accept that he must defend at Edwards. However,
                      there are never any orders to entrench at Edwards, and his May 12th
                      message written in Vicksburg to Johnston and Davis is full of
                      equivocation:

                      "... With my limited force, I will do all I can to meet him. That will
                      be the field of battle if I can carry forward sufficient force, leaving
                      troops enough to secure the saftey of this place. I am also compelled
                      to keep a considerable force on either flank of Vicksburg, out of
                      supporting distance of Edwards, to prevent his approach in those
                      directions."

                      Pemberton had not even begun moving Loring's troops across the Big
                      Black by that point, and would not begin moving Loring to Edwards until
                      after McClernand's van had closed within 4 miles of Edwards Station.
                      Loring would not even arrive in Bovina until 7:30 p.m. May 12th, and
                      Edwards Station until early morning May 13th. By the time Pemberton
                      was in any kind of position to attack, McClernand had already withdraw
                      across Baker's Creek.
                    • Jason van Teylingen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 23, 2007
                        I believe it was Big Black but am not certain

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                          So it seems to me that the issue is what day Pemberton wrote that to
                          Johnston. What I think you a referring to was written on May 12 and
                          was in reference to Edward's.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                            wrote:

                            > So it seems to me that the issue is what day Pemberton wrote that
                            > Johnston. What I think you a referring to was written on May 12
                            and
                            > was in reference to Edward's.

                            Yes, I believe you're correct. I just find Pemberton's thought
                            processes interesting. IMO, the place to dispute Grant is Fourteen
                            Mile Creek along a broad front. Until the 11th, it appears that
                            Pemberton's plan is to move into the fortifications at the Big Black
                            River Bridge. Then Bowen points out the problem with this plan:
                            Pemberton is giving Grant the advantage of interior lines.

                            On the 12th, Pemberton writes Johnston and Davis that he's going to
                            meet Grant in the field of battle at Edwards Station, but at the time
                            he's only got a couple of brigades there, and he's yet to issue
                            orders to Loring to move to Bovina. His message is full of
                            equivocation, like he's not quite convinced that he's going to offer
                            battle if pressed, he hasn't prepared a defensive position at
                            Edwards, he's only got three divisions at hand, Grant has five
                            divisions in near proximity, and if Pemberton is bested at Edwards he
                            may have to retreat *away* from his base at the Big Black River.
                          • William H Keene
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 25, 2007
                              > ... I just find Pemberton's thought
                              > processes interesting.

                              IMO, by the Grant was in Grand Gulf he had achieved a psychological
                              advantage over Pemberton. Pemberton seemed rattled, uncertain and a
                              little panicked.
                            • Dave Smith
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007

                                snips

                                > Here's a question for Dave ... when Pemberton writes Johnston,
                                > telling him that the battle for Vicksburg will take place "here," is
                                > he actually referring to Edwards Station, or Big Black River Bridge?

                                My interpretation is Big Black River Bridge. I don't know of anything
                                written by JCP that suggests Edwards as a locus for battle.

                                The Battle of Champion Hill wasn't supposed to be fought; Pemberton got
                                caught by Grant trying to turn his army around to cease moving on
                                Dillon's Plantation (a really dumb idea) for moving to Clinton via
                                Brownsville (an even dumber idea).

                                That said, Pemberton was simply so fed up with Johnston's inability to
                                lead that I think he just decided he'd move his men to Johnston, let
                                him take command, and decide what to do.

                                Dave
                              • Dave Smith
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                                  The problem, I think, is trying to understand exactly what Pemberton
                                  meant to do in terms of time and space.

                                  Prior to the engagement at Champion Hill, Pemberton had spent his
                                  time following Grant's movements by sliding up the Big Black River
                                  towards the Bridge, but without any intent to cross and deal with
                                  Grant explicitly.

                                  Part of Pemberton's issue was his inability to accurately scout
                                  Grant. Those that have visited Vicksburg know that the terrain south
                                  and east of the Big Black River effectively screened Grant's forces,
                                  at least from a line of sight perspective. For Pemberton to have
                                  sallied forth and to have groped for Grant would have been silly, IMO.

                                  Once Johnston gets on the scene, everything goes haywire. First of
                                  all, neither Pemberton or Johnston, at the time, detailed in their
                                  period correspondence what exactly they believed. Their post-war
                                  writings were written with hindsight, and to second guess the other.

                                  Edwards was, I think, a good "forward station" that provided
                                  Pemberton with the ability to make decent decisions - fight there,
                                  maneuver, or fall back to the Bridge.

                                  If he looked to fight at Edwards, it wasn't that particular day.

                                  Dave

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                                    I think that's great, too, but you simply don't take others' work,
                                    put it on your site, and call it your own.

                                    Dave

                                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Steve Saultz <tristan4th@...>

                                    Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                                    > considering that we have seen this particular 'offer to join'
                                    before, and the general pattern of grammar, etc, I suspect this is a
                                    form of phishing, although I'm not sure how it would work.
                                    > "factasy.com" is a web site the young lady is putting together in
                                    Sweden. It is designed for the Swedish market, but she is quite
                                    anxious to get American afficianados on board to help create
                                    discussion. It's a bit difficult to get a good ACW website going in
                                    this country, let alone in Sweden. Give her a hand up or ignore it --
                                    she's trying.
                                    > Ken
                                    >

                                    > ---------------------------------
                                    free from AOL at AOL.com.

                                  • Dave Smith
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                                      I agree about the equivocation, but the entire period of May 1
                                      through May 18 was one of guessing on the part of the Confederate
                                      high command.

                                      Grant knew what he was doing, and Pemberton could only guess.

                                      With Johnston's arrival, things got even more muddied, as well as
                                      plain simply confused. The delays in communications, coupled with
                                      neither man having a clear understanding of what Grant was up to, set
                                      the stage for mass confusion.

                                      As an example, Johnston ordered Pemberton to Clinton so their
                                      combined forces could fall on Sherman. The problem was Sherman
                                      wasn't at Clinton, and worse, Johnston never gave another thought to
                                      moving forward to Clinton, and instead, pulled back and away.

                                      Pemberton was trying to start his army towards Clinton when the
                                      Battle of Champion Hill broke out. It remains interesting
                                      speculation as to what would have happened had, for argument's sake,
                                      he had started six hours earlier and had cleared Edwards Station. It
                                      sets up a totally different scenario.

                                      DAve

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                                                       Hi Dave..
                                                        No.. no... I totally agree with you there. My apologies if that is what I implied. All work & writings should have "permission" first, as well as always cited to the author & their sources. Been dealing with this somewhat lately in other history group sites. Why I will say again, "permission" is the key.
                                                All Respects,
                                                     Capt. McCracken

                                        wrote:

                                        > Hand up for here here!
                                        > I ran across her in another group I belong
                                        to.... Pretty neat IMHO, that folks as far away as Sweden find
                                        interest in history...
                                        > Capt. McCracken... ......
                                        >
                                        > keeno2@... wrote:
                                        Standard Time, carlw4514@.. . writes:
                                        > considering that we have seen this particular 'offer to join'
                                        before, and the general pattern of grammar, etc, I suspect this is a
                                        form of phishing, although I'm not sure how it would work.
                                        > "factasy.com" is a web site the young lady is putting together in
                                        Sweden. It is designed for the Swedish market, but she is quite
                                        anxious to get American afficianados on board to help create
                                        discussion. It's a bit difficult to get a good ACW website going in
                                        this country, let alone in Sweden. Give her a hand up or ignore it --
                                        she's trying.
                                        > Ken
                                        >

                                        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                                        free from AOL at AOL.com.

                                      • William H Keene
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@...>
                                          > Prior to the engagement at Champion Hill, Pemberton had spent his
                                          > time following Grant's movements by sliding up the Big Black River
                                          > towards the Bridge, but without any intent to cross and deal with
                                          > Grant explicitly.

                                          I disagree. Pemberton had crossed his moveable force eats of the Big
                                          Black to Edwards during the 13th-14th in order to challenge Grant.
                                        • Dave Smith
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 27, 2007
                                            wrote:

                                            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > Prior to the engagement at Champion Hill, Pemberton had spent his
                                            > > time following Grant's movements by sliding up the Big Black River
                                            > > towards the Bridge, but without any intent to cross and deal with
                                            > > Grant explicitly.
                                            >
                                            > I disagree. Pemberton had crossed his moveable force eats of the Big
                                            > Black to Edwards during the 13th-14th in order to challenge Grant.

                                            And was so confused that he had to hold a council of war to try to
                                            bring some semblance of order out of the confusion. And even with the
                                            council, he and his staff were divided on what to do.

                                            And at the end, he decided to attack a non-existent supply line at
                                            Dillons.

                                            What I think he was trying to do was to move forward to Edwards, which
                                            gave him maximimum flexibility for maneuver. No where, to the best of
                                            my knowledge, did he indicate he was looking for a fight at Edwards.

                                            Dave