Re: Biography of the Day: Patrick Ronayne Cleburne

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

      > http://anb.org/biooftheday.html
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Judy and Bob Huddleston
      > 10643 Sperry Street
      > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
      >
      > "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half
      have never
      > voted for President. One hopes it is the same half."
      > --Gore Vidal, author.

      Thank you, Bob, while this bio was very concise I found one piece
      that provided some food for thought. That is Cleburne's contention
      that the agrarian population of the South could be utilized very
      effectively without the resort to slavery.

      I has long been a thought of mine that the advent of share-cropping
      benefited both the tenant and landlord and led to increased
      production and liberty. I have no data on this theory, but it
      seems intuitively reasonable to me.

      Bill Bruner