20th Ohio stuff/Raymond

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
      Hey, Tony, have you ever seen this diary?

      Dave Powell

      Z 0535.000
      MODIL (GEORGE W.) DIARIES
      1863 - 1864

      Civil War diaries of George W. Modil, Company A, 20th Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, from January 1, 1863, to December 31, 1864. These diaries begin with the fighting on the Mississippi River, and tell of the attack on Port Gibson, the battles of Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills and Big Black River, and the siege and fall of Vicksburg. Later the writer was in the battle of Hull's Hill, the burning of Hillsboro, and finally he tells of the evacuation of Meridian by the Confederate forces. The diary ends at the battle of Atlanta, where Modil was wounded. These volumes are 10 by 6.8 cm. in size.

    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@... wrote:

        > Hey, Tony, have you ever seen this diary?
        >
        > Dave Powell
        >
        > Z 0535.000
        > MODIL (GEORGE W.) DIARIES
        > 1863 - 1864
        > Civil War diaries of George W. Modil, Company A, 20th Regiment,
        Ohio
        > Volunteers, from January 1, 1863, to December 31, 1864. These
        diaries begin with the
        > fighting on the Mississippi River, and tell of the attack on Port
        Gibson, the
        > battles of Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills and Big Black River,
        and the siege
        > and fall of Vicksburg. Later the writer was in the battle of Hull's
        Hill, the
        > burning of Hillsboro, and finally he tells of the evacuation of
        Meridian by
        > the Confederate forces. The diary ends at the battle of Atlanta,
        where Modil was
        > wounded. These volumes are 10 by 6.8 cm. in size.

        No! Where do I get my hands on one?
      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
          In a message dated 3/8/2007 3:23:12 PM Central Standard Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
          No! Where do I get my hands on one?
          It's at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, in Jackson. That Z number is the call number. I was doing some online work looking for Chickamauga related material and noted the description. I would get in touch with the MDAH and see what they can tell you...

          Dave Powell

        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 3/8/2007 3:23:12 PM Central Standard Time,
            > tony_gunter@... writes:
            >
            > No! Where do I get my hands on one?
            >
            > It's at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, in
            Jackson. That
            > Z number is the call number. I was doing some online work looking for
            > Chickamauga related material and noted the description. I would get
            in touch with the
            > MDAH and see what they can tell you...

            Wish I still lived there, my house was 2 miles from the MDAH building,
            and I worked a block down the street.
          • Tony Gunter
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@ wrote:
              > >

              > > In a message dated 3/8/2007 3:23:12 PM Central Standard Time,
              > > tony_gunter@ writes:
              > >
              > > No! Where do I get my hands on one?
              > >
              > > It's at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, in
              > Jackson. That
              > > Z number is the call number. I was doing some online work looking
              for
              > > Chickamauga related material and noted the description. I would
              get
              > in touch with the
              > > MDAH and see what they can tell you...
              >
              > Wish I still lived there, my house was 2 miles from the MDAH
              building,
              > and I worked a block down the street.

              George Modil was a man who did not have a helluva lot to say. All of
              his diary entries read like "marched 5 miles, camped." He did,
              however, keep detailed records of the weather (14 days of
              precipitation in January 1863!) and the clothes that he had been
              issued. Interestingly, he received a new pair of shoes in January
              and needed another pair in early March, I'm assuming they fell apart
              because he couldn't keep them dry.

              Another interesting thing about his record of the clothing he had
              been issued is that in July, he was issued one shirt and one blouse.

              Wha??? In civil war army terms, what's the difference between a
              shirt and a blouse?
            • DORR64OVI@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2007
                In a message dated 4/8/2007 11:11:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
                Wha??? In civil war army terms, what's the difference between a
                shirt and a blouse?
                Tony....a shirt is just what you think.  In this case either the standard issue Domet flannel shirt.  The blouse is actually the fatigue jacket or sack coat.  It could even be referring to the dress frock coat but more likely the common coat.

                Kent Dorr

                See what's free at AOL.com.