Re: Well I'll be!

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 137 , Mar 2, 2007

      > In a message dated 3/2/2007 1:34:08 PM Central Standard Time,
      > tony_gunter@... writes:
      > There's really no support for the assertion that Logan had to turn
      back a
      > skedaddle at all.
      > Seems, without going back through the thread, I read an account of
      Logan
      > stopping a retreat -- or was that in Bearrs?

      That was Oldroyd (referenced by Bearss), who was in a nine-foot-deep
      creek bed for most of the battle, reporting that he heard
      Logan "turning the men back to their place," IIRC.
    • Nick KURTZ
      Message 137 of 137 , Mar 4, 2007
        Yes in hindsight it would have been far better for the Confederates to attack in columns of corps instead of lines of corps.

        I think the order to go where the sound of the heaviest firing was, was an effort to just have troops always in combat.  Basically if you get lost or orders have gone awry go where you can do some good.  In the thick woods around Shiloh it would have been difficult to find spots to hit and then order troops there.  This would have provided better opportunities, if it could have been pulled off, to destroy Grant's army than just going to the sound of battle did.  In many respects Confederate command/control did very poorly at Shiloh.  There are things they could have done better but I doubt they could have won the battle.

        Why?  It boils down to the fact that after the wasted time on the march from Corinth they were left with one day before Buell's army arrived.  They didn't realize it but they had one day to destroy Grant's army and even if most things went their way this was a very difficult proposition.  Once Buell's army arrives the odds are stacked against them.  I don't think Buell saved Grant's army in the sense that they were a big factor in the final assault failing, but in the sense that Johnston/Beauregard do not have the men to deal with 40,000 more troops.  If Buell arrives a week later than April 7th would have been a much more pivotal day.
        --Nick