Re: for those of us who typically follow by "topic"

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 10:22 AM
      > using the delete key freely for topics I don't find interesting

      another good reason to be sure to change the subject line when needed,
      Tom !

      I think Yahoo is on to something, to be able to follow by topic. But
      you are certainly right that, as it is, it has problems.
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 2:35 PM
        perhaps more results will come in, but for those who participated in
        the poll so far, looks like 'individual messages' is how it is done by
        most.

        Following by "individual messages" makes it quite hard to pick the
        topics you really want to follow... seems that you would be pretty
        much going through them all, and probably only the recent ones unless
        that person is quite determined.

        Following by topic has some problems:
        -if the topic doesnt get officially changed, it gets huge, and new
        messages can get lost in the massiveness of it. A certain technique
        seems to be called for at that point.
        -yahoo won't archive the old topics... so if you title your new topic
        unknowingly like an old one, your new message might wind up in the big
        muddle of some huge thread. Yahoo needs to work on that. If you have
        clicked on 'new topic' it should be new!
        -it is easier, though, if things work right, to make sure you see all
        the messages for the topic and also ditch the threads that don't interest
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4 2:47 PM

          Where did this come from? This is the first I’ve heard of any “poll” to discuss. It seems some member have not been sent various topic e-mails for what ever reason and that is out of our control regardless of what they are titled.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4 4:40 PM
            I am using gmail for this forum, and gmail strings the threads together and makes it easy to read. I use this account mainly for civilwarwest and therefore do not have other "stuff" to deal on this account. Google mail also has an excellent spam filter.

            Don

            --
            When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him.
              - Thomas Szasz