Re: [civilwarwest] for those of us who typically follow by "topic"

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
      That's what I find also, Carl .. it is too easy to miss things via "topic" or "digest" .. I have three different CW groups assigned to this address (and I don't use it for anything else) .. have them all set for "individual messages" and check them often, using the delete key freely for topics I don't find interesting .. Tom Gilbert

      Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:
      this latest poll is an example of how following by topic can backfire.
      Typically, it helps a lot to follow by topic, but if the thread gets
      large enough, it's quite hard to get to the latest post.... the latest
      may not be at the end, for one thing!

      As with the announcement of this poll, annoyingly, old topics pop up
      with the earliest post featured [it can be quite old] and the newest
      post hard to find.

      In any case, please go to polls if you follow the group at the website
      and find and participate in the new poll, if you would, thanks.

      Carl

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
        > using the delete key freely for topics I don't find interesting

        another good reason to be sure to change the subject line when needed,
        Tom !

        I think Yahoo is on to something, to be able to follow by topic. But
        you are certainly right that, as it is, it has problems.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
          perhaps more results will come in, but for those who participated in
          the poll so far, looks like 'individual messages' is how it is done by
          most.

          Following by "individual messages" makes it quite hard to pick the
          topics you really want to follow... seems that you would be pretty
          much going through them all, and probably only the recent ones unless
          that person is quite determined.

          Following by topic has some problems:
          -if the topic doesnt get officially changed, it gets huge, and new
          messages can get lost in the massiveness of it. A certain technique
          seems to be called for at that point.
          -yahoo won't archive the old topics... so if you title your new topic
          unknowingly like an old one, your new message might wind up in the big
          muddle of some huge thread. Yahoo needs to work on that. If you have
          clicked on 'new topic' it should be new!
          -it is easier, though, if things work right, to make sure you see all
          the messages for the topic and also ditch the threads that don't interest
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007

            Where did this come from? This is the first I’ve heard of any “poll” to discuss. It seems some member have not been sent various topic e-mails for what ever reason and that is out of our control regardless of what they are titled.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
              I am using gmail for this forum, and gmail strings the threads together and makes it easy to read. I use this account mainly for civilwarwest and therefore do not have other "stuff" to deal on this account. Google mail also has an excellent spam filter.

              Don

              --
              When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him.
                - Thomas Szasz