for those of us who typically follow by "topic"

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
      this latest poll is an example of how following by topic can backfire.
      Typically, it helps a lot to follow by topic, but if the thread gets
      large enough, it's quite hard to get to the latest post.... the latest
      may not be at the end, for one thing!

      As with the announcement of this poll, annoyingly, old topics pop up
      with the earliest post featured [it can be quite old] and the newest
      post hard to find.

      In any case, please go to polls if you follow the group at the website
      and find and participate in the new poll, if you would, thanks.

      Carl
    • Tom Gilbert
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
        That's what I find also, Carl .. it is too easy to miss things via "topic" or "digest" .. I have three different CW groups assigned to this address (and I don't use it for anything else) .. have them all set for "individual messages" and check them often, using the delete key freely for topics I don't find interesting .. Tom Gilbert

        Carl Williams <carlw4514@...> wrote:
        this latest poll is an example of how following by topic can backfire.
        Typically, it helps a lot to follow by topic, but if the thread gets
        large enough, it's quite hard to get to the latest post.... the latest
        may not be at the end, for one thing!

        As with the announcement of this poll, annoyingly, old topics pop up
        with the earliest post featured [it can be quite old] and the newest
        post hard to find.

        In any case, please go to polls if you follow the group at the website
        and find and participate in the new poll, if you would, thanks.

        Carl

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...

      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
          > using the delete key freely for topics I don't find interesting

          another good reason to be sure to change the subject line when needed,
          Tom !

          I think Yahoo is on to something, to be able to follow by topic. But
          you are certainly right that, as it is, it has problems.
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
            perhaps more results will come in, but for those who participated in
            the poll so far, looks like 'individual messages' is how it is done by
            most.

            Following by "individual messages" makes it quite hard to pick the
            topics you really want to follow... seems that you would be pretty
            much going through them all, and probably only the recent ones unless
            that person is quite determined.

            Following by topic has some problems:
            -if the topic doesnt get officially changed, it gets huge, and new
            messages can get lost in the massiveness of it. A certain technique
            seems to be called for at that point.
            -yahoo won't archive the old topics... so if you title your new topic
            unknowingly like an old one, your new message might wind up in the big
            muddle of some huge thread. Yahoo needs to work on that. If you have
            clicked on 'new topic' it should be new!
            -it is easier, though, if things work right, to make sure you see all
            the messages for the topic and also ditch the threads that don't interest
          • Tom Mix
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007

              Where did this come from? This is the first I’ve heard of any “poll” to discuss. It seems some member have not been sent various topic e-mails for what ever reason and that is out of our control regardless of what they are titled.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
                I am using gmail for this forum, and gmail strings the threads together and makes it easy to read. I use this account mainly for civilwarwest and therefore do not have other "stuff" to deal on this account. Google mail also has an excellent spam filter.

                Don

                --
                When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him.
                  - Thomas Szasz