Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Bragg and Chickamauga

  • Ronald black
    Message 1 of 64 , Feb 11, 2007
      Bob:
      Here we are again on differant sides of the fence.  I view this as healthy for a good discussion and so, on twith the battle.  As to your comments of Forrest raiding west Tennessee in 1864, I believe and don't forget that Forrest was assigned to that tactical area by those in charge.  This area was mainly northern Mississippi and west Tennessee.  If i'm correct (and I'm always right????) this was his area of responsibility.  In short, he was only doing his duty.  If Uncle Billy was laughing, the blame should be placed elsewhere.
      I take your point about Forrest being possibly overrated but I find there are far too many good authors writing about Forrest, far far far more than write about Wheeler or Van Dorn.  Many of these authors have been fair in their assessments of the man and his operations and not pure adoring and biased biographers.  You are obviously a good student of the civil war and so, if I may suggest continued study in the subject at hand.  Bob, we need to broaden your viewpoint with a class called Forest 201.
      Finally, you are welcome to accept this information or place it in a suitable container as you wish but while I have been studing the western area of the civil war (not the east) I have been point scoring the combat results of the confederate leaders of units from brigades to army theaters, including those who filled in on a temporary basis.  The results tabulated have made for some surprising results, one for an example is the finest performance of any confederate brigade commander was by a temporary commander, a colonel, at the Battle of Chickamauga.  Another is Brig. Gen James Chalmers at the Battle of Shiloh.  This last needs to studied by all but I get off the subject, sorry.
      The highest point score for any confederate commander in the western theater is who?  Lt. Gen Nathan B. Forrest.  The highest point score of a infantry officer is Maj Gen Patrick Cleburne.
      I don't wish to appear to be an adoring fan of these officers but I do place a value on my point score system tabulated over a long time and it has helped to clarify the militay leaders considerably.
      Thanks for kind attention to my ramblings,  Regards
      Ron

      Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:29 PM
      Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Bragg and Chickamauga

      I think he is badly overrated, an image spread during the Lost Cause era, making him out as a military genius, which he wasn't. He was a good raider but lacking in the basic requirement of a leader -- the willingness to follow orders.

      Don't forget, while he was raiding west Tennessee in the summer of 1864, massacring soldiers in blue, the real battle in the West was going on in East Tennessee, where Sherman was having a free hand. I'll bet Uncle Billy was laughing at the attention being given to Forrest, hundreds of miles from where the action was.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
      303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@ comcast.net

      The war existed long before the cannonade of Sumter, and could not be postponed. It might have begun otherwise or elsewhere, but war was in the minds and bones of the combatants, it was written on the iron leaf, and you might as easily dodge gravitation.                        Ralph Waldo Emerson, “The President’s Proclamation,” The Atlantic, November 1862

      Message 64 of 64 , May 22, 2007
        In a message dated 5/22/2007 3:19:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
        JEJ whose wife grew up in Marion, Illinois
        What's your wife's name?  (My mother  ---  Anne
        Felts  ---   is from Marion.)  Her grandfather
        was in the 128th Ill, then in the 9th Ill Mtd Inf.

        JFE

        See what's free at AOL.com.