Re: [civilwarwest] Hi I one of the ones who post from time to time,but

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9 6:14 AM
      In a message dated 2/9/2007 7:25:41 AM Central Standard Time, inline75067@... writes:
      I do like to read about the different subjects in the war, I am not a expert enough to really converse on the subjects without showing my lack of the subject.
      Everybody starts with a lack of the subject. If you wait until you feel you are fully knowdegeable, you'll likely become quite aged before you pitch in. The surest way to find out something is to ask a question (there are no dumb questions), Asking anything also does the board a favor in that there will surely be a spate of replies, disagreements, and debate on the "proper" answer.

      Keep postin'
      Ken
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9 6:26 AM
        In a message dated 2/9/2007 7:25:41 AM Central Standard Time, inline75067@... writes:
        I have found my great-great uncle who was with the 93th Indiana, died fall of 1863 and buried at
        Jefferson Barracks National in St louis,mo 9-16-1863. I have not found the conflict or illiness that may have claimed him.
        Could've been anything, Mike. The 93rd's engagement closest to that date was Brice's Crossroads in June of that year wherein Sturgis' troops (including the 93rd) were quite severiously mauled by Forrest. Your antecedent may have been wounded there and lasted until September before succumbing to his wounds. Or maybe not. He may have survived the battle and got run over by a wagon in September. Others on the board will certainly have better sources to help you fill in some possibilities.
        Good huntin.'
        Ken
      • Dave Gorski
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9 5:04 PM
          > I have found my great-great
          >uncle who was with the 93th Indiana, died fall of 1863 and buried at
          >Jefferson Barracks National in St louis,mo 9-16-1863. I have not found
          >the conflict or illiness that may have claimed him. If anyone had
          >thoughts on this let me know.

          Just speculation, but if he died of wounds, he may have been involved
          in the conflict around Jackson, Mississippi. The regiment's commander
          has his reports on the action the regiment participated in, in the OR,
          Series I, Volume 24, Part I, page 765. On the other hand he may have
          been a victim of disease. Of the 93rd Indiana's 291 dead, 250 of them
          died of disease, so the odds are that he also died of disease.

          Here are some research suggestions:

          If you have not already done so, get records from the National Archives,
          and if possible, get them yourself rather than by mail.
          When you get records by mail, you get what the individual researcher sends
          you. They are good, and they do the best they can, but they can leave
          things out. Some soldiers may be listed under a number of spellings of the
          names. One soldier from the 11th Indiana Battery, which I researched is listed
          under 7 different names, and several of these files had information in them,
          all on the same individual. The 241 men who served in the 11th Indiana Battery
          are listed under 368 names in the National Archives records. So, if you can
          look for yourself. Check ALL the records, legal, medical and POW are not
          together, you have to request them all. Don't overlook pension records. There
          can be a great deal of war related information there too, as some soldiers had
          their service records questioned and they required affidavits from
          comrades to secure their pension.

          Check with the Indiana Historical Society, and the Indiana Archives.
          If you need an address or phone number let me know. It is likely that they can
          provide much information. Ask for correspondence which may have been sent
          to the unit from the state adjutant general, telegrams etc. Many
          state archives
          have the original muster in and out rolls. Ask for that unit's Morning Report
          Books, Sick Book, Descriptive Book, Clothing Book, Order Book, Account Book
          of Company Fund, Register of Articles Issued to Soldiers, and Report of Target
          Practice Book. These were all books that were kept by regulations, and while
          many are missing, many still exist in state archives. They provide a wealth of
          information not just on the unit, but on individual soldiers as well.

          Contact the U.S. Army Military History Institute;
          Carlisle Barracks, 22 Ashburn Dr., Carlisle PA, 17013-5008

          Check period newspaper accounts. Most communities were very proud of their
          boys. They regularly kept the people updated on the activities of
          their hometown
          boys. The Indiana Historical Society Library can provide these
          papers on microfilm.
          Use interlibrary loan if you can't get to Indianapolis. Check the
          report of the Indiana
          Adjutant General as well, 4 or 5 volumes. The New Albany and Madison,
          Indiana Area
          had several newspapers, and many of the men in the 93rd Indiana were
          from that area.
          Look for reunion stories as well. Many men posed for unit photos that
          were published
          in local newspapers.

          Hope this is of some help. There are many avenues of research that
          can be taken.

          Regards, Dave Gorski