Hi I one of the ones who post from time to time,but

  • inline75067
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
      HI, first of all, you are the only Civil war group that seems to
      monitor the spam that comes. You wipe it out and that's great, I like
      to read the posts and I sometimes, post on different questions. I got
      into the group chasing family members who served with the 69th
      indiana, 93th Indiana,and the 145th Indiana. The 13th Maryland has
      just came up, I do like to read about the different subjects in the
      war, I am not a expert enough to really converse on the subjects
      without showing my lack of the subject. I have found my great-great
      uncle who was with the 93th Indiana, died fall of 1863 and buried at
      Jefferson Barracks National in St louis,mo 9-16-1863. I have not found
      the conflict or illiness that may have claimed him. If anyone had
      thoughts on this let me know. thanks mike-inline75067@...
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
        In a message dated 2/9/2007 7:25:41 AM Central Standard Time, inline75067@... writes:
        I do like to read about the different subjects in the war, I am not a expert enough to really converse on the subjects without showing my lack of the subject.
        Everybody starts with a lack of the subject. If you wait until you feel you are fully knowdegeable, you'll likely become quite aged before you pitch in. The surest way to find out something is to ask a question (there are no dumb questions), Asking anything also does the board a favor in that there will surely be a spate of replies, disagreements, and debate on the "proper" answer.

        Keep postin'
        Ken
      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
          In a message dated 2/9/2007 7:25:41 AM Central Standard Time, inline75067@... writes:
          I have found my great-great uncle who was with the 93th Indiana, died fall of 1863 and buried at
          Jefferson Barracks National in St louis,mo 9-16-1863. I have not found the conflict or illiness that may have claimed him.
          Could've been anything, Mike. The 93rd's engagement closest to that date was Brice's Crossroads in June of that year wherein Sturgis' troops (including the 93rd) were quite severiously mauled by Forrest. Your antecedent may have been wounded there and lasted until September before succumbing to his wounds. Or maybe not. He may have survived the battle and got run over by a wagon in September. Others on the board will certainly have better sources to help you fill in some possibilities.
          Good huntin.'
          Ken
        • Dave Gorski
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
            > I have found my great-great
            >uncle who was with the 93th Indiana, died fall of 1863 and buried at
            >Jefferson Barracks National in St louis,mo 9-16-1863. I have not found
            >the conflict or illiness that may have claimed him. If anyone had
            >thoughts on this let me know.

            Just speculation, but if he died of wounds, he may have been involved
            in the conflict around Jackson, Mississippi. The regiment's commander
            has his reports on the action the regiment participated in, in the OR,
            Series I, Volume 24, Part I, page 765. On the other hand he may have
            been a victim of disease. Of the 93rd Indiana's 291 dead, 250 of them
            died of disease, so the odds are that he also died of disease.

            Here are some research suggestions:

            If you have not already done so, get records from the National Archives,
            and if possible, get them yourself rather than by mail.
            When you get records by mail, you get what the individual researcher sends
            you. They are good, and they do the best they can, but they can leave
            things out. Some soldiers may be listed under a number of spellings of the
            names. One soldier from the 11th Indiana Battery, which I researched is listed
            under 7 different names, and several of these files had information in them,
            all on the same individual. The 241 men who served in the 11th Indiana Battery
            are listed under 368 names in the National Archives records. So, if you can
            look for yourself. Check ALL the records, legal, medical and POW are not
            together, you have to request them all. Don't overlook pension records. There
            can be a great deal of war related information there too, as some soldiers had
            their service records questioned and they required affidavits from
            comrades to secure their pension.

            Check with the Indiana Historical Society, and the Indiana Archives.
            If you need an address or phone number let me know. It is likely that they can
            provide much information. Ask for correspondence which may have been sent
            to the unit from the state adjutant general, telegrams etc. Many
            state archives
            have the original muster in and out rolls. Ask for that unit's Morning Report
            Books, Sick Book, Descriptive Book, Clothing Book, Order Book, Account Book
            of Company Fund, Register of Articles Issued to Soldiers, and Report of Target
            Practice Book. These were all books that were kept by regulations, and while
            many are missing, many still exist in state archives. They provide a wealth of
            information not just on the unit, but on individual soldiers as well.

            Contact the U.S. Army Military History Institute;
            Carlisle Barracks, 22 Ashburn Dr., Carlisle PA, 17013-5008

            Check period newspaper accounts. Most communities were very proud of their
            boys. They regularly kept the people updated on the activities of
            their hometown
            boys. The Indiana Historical Society Library can provide these
            papers on microfilm.
            Use interlibrary loan if you can't get to Indianapolis. Check the
            report of the Indiana
            Adjutant General as well, 4 or 5 volumes. The New Albany and Madison,
            Indiana Area
            had several newspapers, and many of the men in the 93rd Indiana were
            from that area.
            Look for reunion stories as well. Many men posed for unit photos that
            were published
            in local newspapers.

            Hope this is of some help. There are many avenues of research that
            can be taken.

            Regards, Dave Gorski