Re: Question still remains

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
      OK, wikipedia... doesnt suggest who manufactured it.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun

      "Two notable artillery-sized volley guns were developed in the
      mid-19th century, although neither was particularly successful in
      practice. General Origen Vandenburgh of the New York State Militia
      designed a weapon in 1860 that had eighty-five parallel .50 calibre
      rifle barrels. After failing to sell the weapon to the United Kingdom,
      he reportedly sold a small number to the Confederate States of
      America, although there is no record that they were actually used, one
      Vandenburgh gun was located at Fort Fisher, NC. Also developed in the
      1860s, the French mitrailleuse is an example of a multi-barreled gun
      volley gun that could fire all of its barrels simultaneously or
      sequentially over a short period of time."

      > the Vandenburgh gun:
      >
      > who on earth manufactured it? ... something tells me it wasnt made in
      > the Confederacy. Yet England had rejected it.

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2007
        seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
        here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
        You don't even know if you helped them.

        At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the Wikipedia
        entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
        battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula Campaign [g].

        Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it seems
        to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
        rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite unlikely
        to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came up
        with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this sequence:

        - Vandenburgh invented it
        - it was found at Ft. Fisher
        - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
        and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was an
        officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.

        just a thought
        Carl

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

        > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
        > peninsula campaign.
      • bjer50010
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2007

          > seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
          > here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
          > You don't even know if you helped them.
          >
          > At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the
          Wikipedia
          > entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
          > battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula
          Campaign [g].

          > Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it
          seems
          > to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
          > rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite
          unlikely
          > to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came
          up
          > with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this
          sequence:

          > - Vandenburgh invented it
          > - it was found at Ft. Fisher
          > - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
          > and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was
          an
          > officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.
          >
          > just a thought
          > Carl

          [snips]

          Hi Carl,

          About the Vandenburgh gun, I caught Modern Marvels on the History
          Channel yesterday morning, before coming into work and they were
          reshowing the "Guns of the Civil War" episode. In the segment about
          precursors to the machine gun they mentioned the Vandenburgh gun,
          showed a picture of what it looked like and that was about all the
          information they presented. They did go into more detail about the
          Gatling gun, including what his rationale was for designing it.

          As for your query about posters asking a question and then leaving,
          I don't know what to suggest. I know I try to send a thank you
          response if I ask a question, or at least to continue the discussion.

          Best wishes,
          Barry Jewell
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2007