Question still remains

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
      the Vandenburgh gun:

      who on earth manufactured it? ... something tells me it wasnt made in
      the Confederacy. Yet England had rejected it.
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
        OK, wikipedia... doesnt suggest who manufactured it.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun

        "Two notable artillery-sized volley guns were developed in the
        mid-19th century, although neither was particularly successful in
        practice. General Origen Vandenburgh of the New York State Militia
        designed a weapon in 1860 that had eighty-five parallel .50 calibre
        rifle barrels. After failing to sell the weapon to the United Kingdom,
        he reportedly sold a small number to the Confederate States of
        America, although there is no record that they were actually used, one
        Vandenburgh gun was located at Fort Fisher, NC. Also developed in the
        1860s, the French mitrailleuse is an example of a multi-barreled gun
        volley gun that could fire all of its barrels simultaneously or
        sequentially over a short period of time."

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2007
          seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
          here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
          You don't even know if you helped them.

          At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the Wikipedia
          entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
          battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula Campaign [g].

          Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it seems
          to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
          rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite unlikely
          to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came up
          with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this sequence:

          - Vandenburgh invented it
          - it was found at Ft. Fisher
          - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
          and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was an
          officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.

          just a thought
          Carl

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

          > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
          > peninsula campaign.
        • bjer50010
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2007

            > seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
            > here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
            > You don't even know if you helped them.
            >
            > At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the
            Wikipedia
            > entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
            > battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula
            Campaign [g].

            > Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it
            seems
            > to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
            > rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite
            unlikely
            > to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came
            up
            > with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this
            sequence:

            > - Vandenburgh invented it
            > - it was found at Ft. Fisher
            > - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
            > and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was
            an
            > officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.
            >
            > just a thought
            > Carl

            [snips]

            Hi Carl,

            About the Vandenburgh gun, I caught Modern Marvels on the History
            Channel yesterday morning, before coming into work and they were
            reshowing the "Guns of the Civil War" episode. In the segment about
            precursors to the machine gun they mentioned the Vandenburgh gun,
            showed a picture of what it looked like and that was about all the
            information they presented. They did go into more detail about the
            Gatling gun, including what his rationale was for designing it.

            As for your query about posters asking a question and then leaving,
            I don't know what to suggest. I know I try to send a thank you
            response if I ask a question, or at least to continue the discussion.

            Best wishes,
            Barry Jewell
          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2007