Re: [civilwarwest] Grant or Sherman having a Union Soldier shot?

  • Jason van Teylingen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007
      Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

      Jason

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Dave Gorski <amhistoryguy@...>
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, February 3, 2007 1:12:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Grant or Sherman having a Union Soldier shot?

      >Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
      >soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

      After trial for murder, and having been found guilty, Gen. Grant APPROVED
      the sentence of death for 2nd Lt. Charles Lewis of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry.
      The case was then sent on to JAG Holt and then to Lincoln who also approved the
      sentence.
      There are documented cases of the death sentence being
      changed to imprisonment by Grant. Also, a couple of times Grant asking
      for mercy and Holt and Lincoln holding up the death sentence.

      AFAIK, there are no cases where, without trial, Grant summarily had someone
      executed.

      Gen. Sherman himself found a sentinel sleeping, Private Avery Sheridan,
      of the 46th Ohio Infantry. The man was sentenced to be shot, but on the
      review of JAG Holt, it was found that the CM board had not been sworn, and
      the proceedings were invalid. When forwarding the proceedings to Holt Sherman
      included a letter explaining why he felt the sentence of death should be
      carried out in such cases. Sheridan was not executed.

      As with Grant, I know of no cases of Sherman having a man executed without
      trial.

      Good sources on Civil War military justice are;

      Civil War Justice, by Robert I Alotta

      Don't Shoot That Boy, by Thomas Lowry

      Tarnished Scalpels, by Lowry & Jack D. Welsh M.D.

      Regards, Dave Gorski

      Tarnished Eagles, also by Thomas Lowry

      Regards, Dave Gorski