Re: [civilwarwest] volley gun

  • olddude33@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      In a message dated 2/4/2007 11:31:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:

      This was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as it saw use on the
      defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
      directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...

      This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
      "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"

      Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
      set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".

      A Picture really does as good a job as anything of descring this
      weapon. I'm going to try to post one in "photos" in the website here.

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
        yes sir, I stand corrected
        these are two different guns

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, olddude33@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 2/4/2007 11:31:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > carlw4514@... writes:
        >

        > This was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as it saw use on the
        > defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
        > directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...
        >
        > This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
        > "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"
        >
        > Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
        > set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".
        >
        > A Picture really does as good a job as anything of descring this
        > weapon. I'm going to try to post one in "photos" in the website here.
        >

        > _http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/machinegun.htm_
        > (http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/machinegun.htm)

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007