Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vandenburg's Volley Fire Gun

  • olddude33@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4 9:32 AM
      In a message dated 2/4/2007 11:41:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:

      OK, done, see 'Photos' section
      will try to post more info later

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@.. .> wrote:

      > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
      > peninsula campaign.
      >
      > Part of this presentation talks to new weapons used. The "machine
      > gun" is one of weapon types discussed. I encountered a reference to a
      > volley fire gun. Checking it out I came across a German language site
      > discussing the volley fire gun. According to this site, the weapon was
      > invented by a New Yorker and offered to the Federals. They turned it
      > down and the inventor next tried to sell it to the British - who also
      > declined. Finally, he offered it to the VSA and according to this
      > site, the Confederate bought some.
      >
      > My question is this - Can someone shed some light on if this weapons
      > was used by the Confederates and if so, where?

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4 10:11 AM
        Old Dude, you have come up with something the formidable [IMO] Hogg
        seems to have overlooked. I think I have incorrectly identified a
        Vandenburgh gun in particular.
        I'll post more of what Hogg says and have now posted both of these
        images in photos.

        (mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com) ,

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4 10:23 AM
          Hogg says the Billinghurst-Requa gun was called a 'Volley Gun', so at
          least I had a reason to get confused. He says the idea for such a gun
          goes back to the origins of artillery, and there was something called
          the Ribaudequin back in the 14th Century.

          Billinghurst-Requa: He says Requa was the inventor, about whom we know
          next to nothing. Billinghurst was the manufacturer. It did not use
          metal cartridges.

          This Vandenburgh gun : I find the blurb on this pretty amazing. He
          couldnt sell it to the Feds or England but did so to the South? Where
          was it manufactured? Why doesn't Hogg mention it? I have emailed Bilby
          to see if he can shed some light.

          I am correcting what I wrote before:

          [ The Billinghurst-Requa] was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as
          it saw use on the
          defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
          directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...

          This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
          "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"

          Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
          set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4 10:58 AM
            Joe Bilby was unable to sign in but OK'd that I give his reply, which
            he sent to me by private email.

            You might know the enterprising General Beauregard got use of the
            Requa gun!

            "... I can tell you, however, that my article on CW "machine guns"
            will be in "America's Civil War" in the spring. I included the Requa
            Volley gun. It did not require a train of powder, as the explosion of
            the cap on the central chamber ignited all 25 rounds. Ironically,
            although it was often cited as a "bridge defense gun," I found no
            evidence of one actually being fired in such a role. They were
            actively used to provide covering fire during the siege of battery
            Wagner in Charleston Harbor, however. That is the only place they
            were extensively used in any kind of combat. Please feel free to pass
            that on.

            Joe Bilby"
          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4 11:11 AM
              the Vandenburgh gun:

              who on earth manufactured it? ... something tells me it wasnt made in
              the Confederacy. Yet England had rejected it.
            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4 2:03 PM
                OK, wikipedia... doesnt suggest who manufactured it.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun

                "Two notable artillery-sized volley guns were developed in the
                mid-19th century, although neither was particularly successful in
                practice. General Origen Vandenburgh of the New York State Militia
                designed a weapon in 1860 that had eighty-five parallel .50 calibre
                rifle barrels. After failing to sell the weapon to the United Kingdom,
                he reportedly sold a small number to the Confederate States of
                America, although there is no record that they were actually used, one
                Vandenburgh gun was located at Fort Fisher, NC. Also developed in the
                1860s, the French mitrailleuse is an example of a multi-barreled gun
                volley gun that could fire all of its barrels simultaneously or
                sequentially over a short period of time."

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 8 2:22 PM
                  seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
                  here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
                  You don't even know if you helped them.

                  At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the Wikipedia
                  entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
                  battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula Campaign [g].

                  Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it seems
                  to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
                  rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite unlikely
                  to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came up
                  with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this sequence:

                  - Vandenburgh invented it
                  - it was found at Ft. Fisher
                  - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
                  and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was an
                  officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.

                  just a thought
                  Carl

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

                  > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
                  > peninsula campaign.
                • bjer50010
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 9 7:13 AM

                    > seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
                    > here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
                    > You don't even know if you helped them.
                    >
                    > At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the
                    Wikipedia
                    > entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
                    > battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula
                    Campaign [g].

                    > Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it
                    seems
                    > to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
                    > rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite
                    unlikely
                    > to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came
                    up
                    > with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this
                    sequence:

                    > - Vandenburgh invented it
                    > - it was found at Ft. Fisher
                    > - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
                    > and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was
                    an
                    > officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.
                    >
                    > just a thought
                    > Carl

                    [snips]

                    Hi Carl,

                    About the Vandenburgh gun, I caught Modern Marvels on the History
                    Channel yesterday morning, before coming into work and they were
                    reshowing the "Guns of the Civil War" episode. In the segment about
                    precursors to the machine gun they mentioned the Vandenburgh gun,
                    showed a picture of what it looked like and that was about all the
                    information they presented. They did go into more detail about the
                    Gatling gun, including what his rationale was for designing it.

                    As for your query about posters asking a question and then leaving,
                    I don't know what to suggest. I know I try to send a thank you
                    response if I ask a question, or at least to continue the discussion.

                    Best wishes,
                    Barry Jewell
                  • Carl Williams
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 11 3:00 PM