RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Vandenburg's Volley Fire Gun

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007

      Yahoo or what ever won’t let me in to look at it or access the picture. Can you try to post it here in the group e-mail?

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
        Tom, I think yahoo strips any attachments
        I'll send it to you ... and anyone else that asks... by private email.
        You'll need to email me at carlw4514@...

      • olddude33@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
            Old Dude, you have come up with something the formidable [IMO] Hogg
            seems to have overlooked. I think I have incorrectly identified a
            Vandenburgh gun in particular.
            I'll post more of what Hogg says and have now posted both of these
            images in photos.

            (mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com) ,

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
              Hogg says the Billinghurst-Requa gun was called a 'Volley Gun', so at
              least I had a reason to get confused. He says the idea for such a gun
              goes back to the origins of artillery, and there was something called
              the Ribaudequin back in the 14th Century.

              Billinghurst-Requa: He says Requa was the inventor, about whom we know
              next to nothing. Billinghurst was the manufacturer. It did not use
              metal cartridges.

              This Vandenburgh gun : I find the blurb on this pretty amazing. He
              couldnt sell it to the Feds or England but did so to the South? Where
              was it manufactured? Why doesn't Hogg mention it? I have emailed Bilby
              to see if he can shed some light.

              I am correcting what I wrote before:

              [ The Billinghurst-Requa] was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as
              it saw use on the
              defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
              directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...

              This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
              "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"

              Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
              set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".
            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                Joe Bilby was unable to sign in but OK'd that I give his reply, which
                he sent to me by private email.

                You might know the enterprising General Beauregard got use of the
                Requa gun!

                "... I can tell you, however, that my article on CW "machine guns"
                will be in "America's Civil War" in the spring. I included the Requa
                Volley gun. It did not require a train of powder, as the explosion of
                the cap on the central chamber ignited all 25 rounds. Ironically,
                although it was often cited as a "bridge defense gun," I found no
                evidence of one actually being fired in such a role. They were
                actively used to provide covering fire during the siege of battery
                Wagner in Charleston Harbor, however. That is the only place they
                were extensively used in any kind of combat. Please feel free to pass
                that on.

                Joe Bilby"
              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                  the Vandenburgh gun:

                  who on earth manufactured it? ... something tells me it wasnt made in
                  the Confederacy. Yet England had rejected it.
                • Carl Williams
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                    OK, wikipedia... doesnt suggest who manufactured it.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun

                    "Two notable artillery-sized volley guns were developed in the
                    mid-19th century, although neither was particularly successful in
                    practice. General Origen Vandenburgh of the New York State Militia
                    designed a weapon in 1860 that had eighty-five parallel .50 calibre
                    rifle barrels. After failing to sell the weapon to the United Kingdom,
                    he reportedly sold a small number to the Confederate States of
                    America, although there is no record that they were actually used, one
                    Vandenburgh gun was located at Fort Fisher, NC. Also developed in the
                    1860s, the French mitrailleuse is an example of a multi-barreled gun
                    volley gun that could fire all of its barrels simultaneously or
                    sequentially over a short period of time."

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 8, 2007
                      seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
                      here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
                      You don't even know if you helped them.

                      At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the Wikipedia
                      entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
                      battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula Campaign [g].

                      Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it seems
                      to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
                      rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite unlikely
                      to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came up
                      with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this sequence:

                      - Vandenburgh invented it
                      - it was found at Ft. Fisher
                      - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
                      and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was an
                      officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.

                      just a thought
                      Carl

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ask Me" <ak_dad_2@...> wrote:

                      > I'm preparing a power point presentation dealing with McClellan's
                      > peninsula campaign.
                    • bjer50010
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 9, 2007

                        > seems like if we get a query from someone who doesnt normally post
                        > here, just wants some help, it's just as if that person disappears.
                        > You don't even know if you helped them.
                        >
                        > At least we sort of stayed on topic by finding out from the
                        Wikipedia
                        > entry that a Vandenburgh gun was found at Ft Fisher after the
                        > battle... thus neither involving the AoNV or the Peninsula
                        Campaign [g].

                        > Alas, no hint as to the manufacturer there or otherwise. Thus it
                        seems
                        > to me that something is broken in the assertion that the gun was
                        > rejected by all but the Confederacy... IMO the CSA was quite
                        unlikely
                        > to have manufactured the contraption pictured. Whoever first came
                        up
                        > with that story just might have leapt to conclusions via this
                        sequence:

                        > - Vandenburgh invented it
                        > - it was found at Ft. Fisher
                        > - *leap* therefore Vandenburgh could only interest the South in it,
                        > and they bought and manufactured it. Inconvenient fact that he was
                        an
                        > officer in the New York Militia is to be posed as irony.
                        >
                        > just a thought
                        > Carl

                        [snips]

                        Hi Carl,

                        About the Vandenburgh gun, I caught Modern Marvels on the History
                        Channel yesterday morning, before coming into work and they were
                        reshowing the "Guns of the Civil War" episode. In the segment about
                        precursors to the machine gun they mentioned the Vandenburgh gun,
                        showed a picture of what it looked like and that was about all the
                        information they presented. They did go into more detail about the
                        Gatling gun, including what his rationale was for designing it.

                        As for your query about posters asking a question and then leaving,
                        I don't know what to suggest. I know I try to send a thank you
                        response if I ask a question, or at least to continue the discussion.

                        Best wishes,
                        Barry Jewell
                      • Carl Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 11, 2007