volley gun

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
      This was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as it saw use on the
      defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
      directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...

      This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
      "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"

      Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
      set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".

      A Picture really does as good a job as anything of descring this
      weapon. I'm going to try to post one in "photos" in the website here.
    • olddude33@aol.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007
          yes sir, I stand corrected
          these are two different guns

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, olddude33@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 2/4/2007 11:31:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > carlw4514@... writes:
          >

          > This was also known as a 'Covered Bridge Gun' as it saw use on the
          > defended end of a bridge ... the disadvantage of such particularly
          > directed fire being an advantage not a problem there...
          >
          > This from WEAPONS OF THE CIVIL WAR by Ian Hogg, who describes it as a
          > "multiple firer" ... a "machine gun it wasn't"
          >
          > Interestingly, a single percussion cap, aided by a stream of powder,
          > set off all 25 barrels in the gun in a "ragged volley".
          >
          > A Picture really does as good a job as anything of descring this
          > weapon. I'm going to try to post one in "photos" in the website here.
          >

          > _http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/machinegun.htm_
          > (http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/machinegun.htm)

        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007