Re: Grant or Sherman having a Union Soldier shot?

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jason van Teylingen <jvt1976@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
      soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

      I seriously doubt they ever had someone shot for cowardice. The Union
      army had plenty of slots to fill in other roles (cooks, teamsters, QM,
      etc.). From the primary sources I have read, cowards were generally
      given non-combat duties if they were enlisted, or forced to resign if
      they were officers.
    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a specific instance when Grant or Sherman had a
        soldier shot for cowardice, dereliction of duty, pillaging, etc.?

        Sherman had a soldier shot in South Carolina for rape. It is in the
        OR's

        JEJ
      • Jason van Teylingen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007